Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacing Base Unit

Frequent Visitor

Replacing Base Unit

Ok, so based on this - https://forum.neptunesystems.com/sho...e-unit-failure

My base is fried and I've ordered a new one.

Are there any particular things I need to do to put it online as a replacement? I have a backup of my old config. I currently run 2 x EB 8 and a Feeder unit. Is it possible to configure this new unit before attaching to the system? As in, does it come with a power supply? If not, how should I best add it to my current setup?

Thanks

Frequent Visitor
    Interesting thread as I just went through this exercise last night. Having a backup of your existing config will help alot but it will not restore everything. It does not restore the dashboard so those will need to be rebuilt if you use them. Does not restore the historical data, season table nor the misc config page. None of those are a huge issue for me but note if you changed anything on the misc page you will need to update it.

As for configuring it prior to attaching it to the system, yes it can be done and will require that you power it up is a 12v power source of some kind. It does not come with a power supply so you have a couple options here. Buy one from Neptune, use an existing one from another device where the output is 12v and the center pin is positive. I have an old wall wart from a linksys router that works well. The linksys wall wart puts out .5a but if you have one that does higher amps it will work as well. The other option is to power if from a 12v battery. If attaching this way remember to wire the center pin as positive. This will get your new base unit powered up so you can start the recovery process.

Once powered and connected to your network you can restore your config to recover your programming. At this point it is ready to be connected to your additional modules. According to support you should disconnect all modules from each other and only plug them in one at a time and this can be done in any order. Wait until it has a green light before moving on to the connect the next module. This is where I ran into issues. I have 11 modules in my system. Once I started plugging them back in the first 4 or 5 I attached maintained the correct address number but after that they started getting swapped around and out of order. This caused my programming not to work because the address number for the module did not match the old programming.

To address this I ended up disconnecting all the modules, removing them from the module config page, restored my config from backup then when attaching the modules I did it in the order they should be based on the module address. This insured that each module maintained the correct address. Once done this way my system was back up and running with no need to reprogram anything. My recommendation would be to attach the modules in the same order you originally attached them so they maintain the correct address.

Hope this helps.

Brad

Contact tech support. They can provide you with instructions to use a special setting in the new Apex to facilitate the transfer.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    Contact tech support. They can provide you with instructions to use a special setting in the new Apex to facilitate the transfer.
    Interesting. When I contacted them they did not mention anything about a special setting to facilitate the transfer. Below are the exact instructions I received from support two weeks ago.

Thank you for your inquiry. I would recommend using a 12V adapter when loading the program.

1) Connect the 12v adapter to the Apex system (Do not connect any modules including the display)

2) Load the backup into the new unit. (Under configuration > LOAD/SAVE)

3) Start adding the Apex modules one by one.

As you can see no mention of a special setting. It would be helpful if they would publish a document to address this specifically. As far as I can tell there is no documentation on restoring an apex. I looked online last night and could find nothing in the CRM nor the Apex User Manual.

Are you aware of the support procedure for doing this?

Frequent Visitor
    Thanks guys. I only have 2 EB 8 and feeder unit, not sure what order I added the 8's but can work around that. I hope to get the new base delivered today, so not sure support would get back to me in time. I'll order the 12v adapter too, I cleaned out all my old ones recently Although, my router has one, but need that connected to set up the apex.

Another thing, what about getting a new fusion setup? Do I need to delete the current one somehow and start from scratch?

RussM, if you know about this special setting, can you pass it along? Of you just know they have one?

Brad (too)

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    Russ, do you happen to know the steps to set replacement mode. Tech support gave me steps, but once in Diag, I do not have the option he indicated.

Frequent Visitor
    Ok, well, replacement mode did nothing good for me. At the end of the adventure, I spent 6 hours reconfiguring and fixing the new base from scratch. Got 16 modules instead of 4, backup restored my user ID and email, plus one line of code in one var port.
    Overall, another typical experience with Apex configuration. I've got a current back up for all the good they do, and the next time I have to do this, the tank is getting **** down.

Frequent Visitor
    Frustrating for sure. Did support give you the steps for replacement mode?

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog View Post
    Frustrating for sure. Did support give you the steps for replacement mode?
    Yes, but the new unit shipped to me with 4.20, which doesn't have that setting, apparently. So I flashed 4.40, and went from there sort of as you described, except the backup didn't restore anything but username/pw and email. Not sure if that's because of replacement mode or different versions of FW. Either way, 6am to just a few minutes ago trying to get everything back working.

Classic User
    Record your module and device serial numbers with their aquabus addresses.

Assuming you have deleted modules already do the following to reconstitute your system of modules so that your each of your programs will be able to address its module correctly; i.e., by having the same serial numbered devices at the same aquabus addresses as before. If you are replacing a module, them add the replacement module in the same position in the sequence that the defunct one would have gone.
    When you start adding these modules and devices do it one module at a time in the order of their aquabus addresses. Make sure each specific serial numbered module is added to the aquabus at its original address.

Frequent Visitor
    Thanks, but too late. I had to start from scratch and rebuild everything. All working now.

Classic User
    I don't know if maintaining this strict correspondence of serial numbers with aquabus addresses is required for all module types, but it worked for me with virtually no penalty for following this method.

Regular Vistor
    So what is the Replacement Mode as I will be following instructions on this thread to get mine going again? By the time I get home, Neptune systems tech is gone for the day.

Classic User
    Varyhare, What are you trying to do?

Regular Vistor
    Replace the controller unit and try to use the backup/restore successfully

New User
    I am trying to switch over an Apex Jr to the standard Apex that came with the Gold system. I want to transfer all my modules and keep the programming.

Frequent Visitor
    Not sure that's possible. I'd email support on that one

Regular Vistor
    Avi. Truth be told, the backup/save option did not work for me but I took screen caps of all my settings and just entered them back. Actually along the way changed a few things for the better. It's good to re-familiarize yourself with your settings if you haven't seen them in a while.

Frequent Contributor iamchadster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Avi View Post
    I am trying to switch over an Apex Jr to the standard Apex that came with the Gold system. I want to transfer all my modules and keep the programming.
    I cannot recall why, but I remember reading a post from Russ that detailed the reasons that a Jr and a Standard cannot be transferred in that fashion. So a standard to a standard or a Jr to a Jr etc would be fine, but not the mix.
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by iamchadster View Post
    I cannot recall why, but I remember reading a post from Russ that detailed the reasons that a Jr and a Standard cannot be transferred in that fashion. So a standard to a standard or a Jr to a Jr etc would be fine, but not the mix.
    Correct. You cannot load a configuration backup from one model of Apex onto a different model of Apex. If doing an upgrade, such as from a Jr to a full Apex, you can do a selective restore to transfer Profiles ONLY (which can be a big time saver if you use a lot of profiles), but everything else must be recreated manually in the new Apex.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor
    Got a replacement. No mention of replacement mode. No mention of anything actually. I tried to replace old with new, loaded new firmware, config file....YIKES over 15 extra modules got added? Could not tell the difference between real one and duplicates. Had to initialize. now stuck between rock and hard place as i cannot get the modules to address in order. Things are wonky and tank is getting cooler. Ive requested help from Neptune.

Classic User
    Quote Originally Posted by Geokiris View Post
    Got a replacement. No mention of replacement mode. ... Had to initialize. now stuck between rock and hard place as i cannot get the modules to address in order. ... Ive requested help from Neptune.
    You have a couple of threads running on this problem. You can check my response to Aquabus addresses at:

https://forum.neptunesystems.com/sho...ll=1#post95114

I did not realize that you are discussing this over here in this thread, also, or that RussM had responded about this already. What I have posted at the link above complements and extends what RussM said in his post in this thread.

The good news is that the problem you are experiencing is really not hard to resolve. You will come out of this seeming tangle in good shape. You can try what I describe in my post or you can wait for Neptune Systems tech support.

Remember that if you try doing it without tech support, you want to delete every module before you start adding them back to your Apex. So you want to make sure you have a paper copy of all of your code so you can recreate it. If you have a lot of code then you might want work this with tech support to see if they can help you without eradicating your program code.

Good luck!!

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by fab View Post
    You have a couple of threads running on this problem. You can check my response to Aquabus addresses at:

https://forum.neptunesystems.com/sho...ll=1#post95114

I did not realize that you are discussing this over here in this thread, also, or that RussM had responded about this already. What I have posted at the link above complements and extends what RussM said in his post in this thread.

The good news is that the problem you are experiencing is really not hard to resolve. You will come out of this seeming tangle in good shape. You can try what I describe in my post or you can wait for Neptune Systems tech support.

Remember that if you try doing it without tech support, you want to delete every module before you start adding them back to your Apex. So you want to make sure you have a paper copy of all of your code so you can recreate it. If you have a lot of code then you might want work this with tech support to see if they can help you without eradicating your program code.

Good luck!!

Thanks, i did peruse your thread earlier. But that won't work for me. I have way too many modules and EB8's that are stretched over my whole fish room. EI: a VDM should be address to 3, yet its pretty much in the middle of all of the other modules, daisy chained. I also forgot to mention that I have around 125 outlets, physical and virtual. Apex by default only has 99. Paul from Neptune was required to go into my base unit and change it manually so I could use more outlets. Unfortunately this New base unit did not come equipped with more than 99 outlets. This probably led to some of my issues. Only thing I can do is hope Neptune contacts me early tomorrow to get thing going back again

I just lost contact with my Apex classic, luckily I have another one I bought off a user just in case. I flashed the 'new' one to the latest firmware, but when I try to restore nothing happens. NOTHING? it's the same version of APEX, saved originally with the same version of firmware..any ideas? I do not want to start from scratch~!
    Rocking 2 Apex units, life is less stress with Apex!

Frequent Visitor
    Do you mean restore from a configuration save file?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast