Thread: Can you have lightning at night?

Frequent Visitor

Can you have lightning at night?

With Radion Pro's? If so, how would you program the weather profile, leave max intensity 0 so the lights don't come on at night?

I don't think I've even seen that asked. I think you have the right idea; I'd set Cloudy Light Intensity to 0 as well. Try it...
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Classic User
    In the real world, I have dived many a night dive in the Indian Ocean in pitch blackness and have a lightening storm hit the area. It was always a most beautiful scene underwater, spectacular actually, at relatively shallow depths; e.g., 30-40 ft. When lightening strikes it lites everything up. I hope you are successful with this on your reef tank. I'd love to hear how it turns out and how you finally got it programmed. I have radion lights also, so I would benefit directly from your success in this.
    Last edited by fab; 12-14-2015 at 19:11. Reason: clearer grammar

Frequent Visitor
    I don't have the lights yet. Once I get them and try it out, I will update.

I tried it with an Acan Prism fixture... here's the profile I used:

Capture.PNG

Note that lightning only occurs during cloudy periods, so set the Cloudy Time to 100 initially, and the Cloudy Duration must be 1 minute or more. Using 100% Cloudy Time and 100% Lightning Probability gave ALOT of lighting Too much, but it served as a test. I suggest starting like I show in the image just to test, then back off to something like 50% Cloudy Time & 25% Lightning Probability, then further adjust as desired.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor
    Thanks Russ, can't wait to try it lol.

NSI Member
    Were you able to get this running on the radions? I have attempted to implement this on a pro g3, but it seems that even with the light max and cloud intensity set to 0, the radion would still gradually light up (white), have a nice lightning strike, then go off. Not sure if that is internal programming on the radion's end or if the apex is sending the cloud value regardless of the intensity setting.
    Tom

Frequent Contributor iamchadster's Avatar
    I'm just curious. I know that in nature this happens, but why exactly do we really want to blast the fish with a burst of light. I'm just trying to put myself in their shoes/fins for a minute. Besides the cool factor, what does it accomplish? But I think I will try it anyway.
    Chad

Classic User
    There does appear to be some causal relationship between light profiles that mimic realistic seasonal and intraday variations of sunrise/sunset-moonrise/moonset and spawning behaviors of corals, and maybe some other critters. I have never seen any articles, scholarly or otherwise, that even suggest that simulating weather effects by controlling lights provides any beneficial effects on the biological contents of our aquaria. Shadows of simulated cloud movements and lightening displays over our tanks is just eye candy for us humans looking into the watery world of our tank-bound critters to my knowlege.

Regular Vistor
    Night lightning would be cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Classic User
    Yes, using moon lights is great, beautiful and good for the critters. As a diver I can tell you that the nighttime community is totally a different one from the daytime both in critters and in behaviors.

I believe our livestock is best served by day and night lighting that is faithful the intensities and color temperatures of light that vary throughout the 24 hour cycles in the real world, in our seas and oceans.

If I had to choose between daytime and nighttime dives I would choose night dives every time.

Classic User
    Quote Originally Posted by fab View Post

If I had to choose between daytime and nighttime dives I would choose night dives every time.
    But, with Apex lighting controls I don't have to choose. I have both day and night in my aquarium.

Regular Vistor
    Did anyone get this to work? I have G4 pros and this set up did not work for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk