Thread: Wireless Connetion failed after power outage

New User

Wireless Connetion failed after power outage

I have just recently hooked up my apex. After quite a bit of struggles I got it hooked up to the internet. I have att uverse and it is running wireless through a netgear wireless gaming adapter. After my power went out it seems the wireless doesn't automatically connect. Is this a common issue ro do I probably have something done incorrectly? To get wireless adapter working I had to connect it to my computer to allow access then I was able to plug it right in to the apex and everything worked. I have tried pushing the wps button on the router and adaptor. I'd like to get this to work so that when the power comes back on it will hook up automatically. Please let me know if there is something I am missing.

Was this just a one time event? If you have everything working again and you pull power from the Netgear, then plug it back in, does it resume the connection after a minute or so? If it does, then I'd just chalk it up to a surge. If not and it doesn't restart then we need to look at the config of the Netgear.

BTW, you should consider putting the Apex, your Netgear as well as your Uverse on a small UPS (or multiple if they're in different spots) - you'll be able to control your Apex during a power outage AND you'll avoid most spikes/surges that damage electronics. Just something to think about.
    Al

I do not work for Neptune. Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums!
    For Neptune support send an email (don't call) to: [email protected] .
    Manuals for all products including the
    Comprehensive Reference Manual can be found here.

Frequent Visitor
    After the power outage, but before you connected the Netgear up to the computer, were all three lights on the Netgear green? If so, then the problem wasn't with the adapter, but with the Apex.

Do you have DHCP off for the Apex? In other words, does it have a static IP for inside your local household network? With my Netgear, I've found that it works best if I not only have a static internal IP for the Apex, but if I also assign a static IP to the Netgear adapter also. You can do that with the setup utility of the Netgear when you plug it in directly to the computer.

New User
    I think I've found out that the problem is with the net gear. I've tried connecting it to my computer and I cannot get it to connect to wireless. The power light blinks and the LAN light is solid. The wireless light does nothing. I can't even get access to setup on the computer. Could the surge have blown something in the netgear? What I did was shut off the breaker bc I was doing some electric work.

Do a hard rest on the Netgear and try reconfiguring it. Check the manual, but IIRC you disconnect power, hold down the reset button, then reconnect power.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor
    I'll second what Russ suggested. The only issue I've ever had with my Netgear adapter was after a little power glitch. I thought it was toast, but after a hard reset (and a firmware upgrade I didn't know was available!) it came back to life. In fact, after the firmware upgrade on the Netgear, it's been pretty rock solid and not dropping signals from time to time.

New User
    Thank you for all the help everyone. After a phone call to netgear tech support I realized that the adapter was toast. Somehow me hitting the breaker without unplugging it fried it. I've got a replacement on the way but I purchased another one to test and it is working great.

My net gear goes solid RED in its LED

I just configure my net gear and the proceedure goes very smooth. but when I hooked it up to my apex ethernet and the usb into the Aquabus usb, I suddenly smell some toast smell, at that moment my net gear LED is solid amber and I just pull the plug of the USB poer from the Aqubus because i am worried it might damage my Apex.....then i retry again the net gear and it still not working with LED still Solid RED. can anyone help me diagnose this situation? is this means my net gear burn out?

MD

Aquabus is *NOT* USB. It runs at a higher voltage. You fried the wireless adapter, I'm sorry to say.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    Aquabus is *NOT* USB. It runs at a higher voltage. You fried the wireless adapter, I'm sorry to say.
    Yah! I also feel I make a big mistakes . If this is just the net gear then that is fine but I wonder if I have also fried my apex base unit ? Or the Ethernet port ? As it is blinking Orange lights while green lights is off.

My apex base unit is with green light and so with my EB8, does this mean they are fine ?