Thread: EB8 and 1/4hp Iwaki Pump

Regular Vistor

EB8 and 1/4hp Iwaki Pump

I have installed a retail MARS fish unit in my shop for breeding clowns. It has a 1000W heater, a 1/4hp Iwaki mag pump, 6 double tube 48" florescent lights. The lights are on two cords, one each 4 foot rack, and the pump and heater are on individual plugs. Those familiar with the MARS units know that the master power is hooked up to the console and then all of the appliances plug into the outlets next to the pump.

I purchased a new Apex with EB8 for this system, and I use the Apex with DB8's on my other systems. So the EB8 is new to me, so my question is, will it handle the items mentioned above, and any suggested location for the heater and pump for TRAIC or Mechanical Relays? I also plan on adding an ATO to this setup with a powerhead for the pump. A lift pump may take way to long!

Thanks

Justin

The heater is a no-go on an EB8 or EB4.... 1000w equates to about 12 amps, which exceeds the load capacity of any EB outlet You will need to use an Expansion Socket, possibly with a dedicated circuit.

Each TRIAC outlet (1-3 & 5-7) on an EB6 can handle 5 amps; each relay outlet (4 & 8) can handle 10 (total load per EB8 is 15A for all outlets combined).

The Iwaki has a current draw of around 3 amps, so it should be good on a TRIAC outlet.

It's not clear to me what will be plugged into the MARS control unit and what will be in the EnergyBar.

Regular Vistor
    Thanks Russ. The main power line (dedicated) is wired into a master plug panel. All of the electronics for the system plug into it. My idea was to plug the EB8 into this and plug the pump, lights and heater into the EB8 and control them. I'll ditch the MARS heater and go with a few 300W submersible heaters. the total volume is only 180-190 gallons. So, I will run the lights, pump, 2 300W heaters and a powerhead. Sound OK? Thanks again for the help.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    The heater is a no-go on an EB8 or EB4.... 1000w equates to about 12 amps, which exceeds the load capacity of any EB outlet You will need to use an Expansion Socket, possibly with a dedicated circuit.
    Russ, assuming a power factor of 1 (which should be right for a pure resistive load like a heater) a 1000W heater would draw only about 8.3 AMPs which would be OK on one of the relay outlets.

Doh! You are 100% correct. I made a stupid mental math error there.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

New User
    I've just purchased a 1000w heater for my 350-gallon tank, looking to have the apex Neptune to manage the cycling of the heater. What I have been reading on multiple threads that EB8 is unable to manage the heater and other accessories that would exceed the 15 amp capacity of the circuit. I was about to build a DIY power relay to manage the heater on a separate circuit until I came across the IOT Power Relay. My question is do you think that the apex is able to operate this relay?http://www.sparkfun.com/products/14236.

Quote Originally Posted by Minky View Post
    I've just purchased a 1000w heater for my 350-gallon tank, looking to have the apex Neptune to manage the cycling of the heater. What I have been reading on multiple threads that EB8 is unable to manage the heater and other accessories that would exceed the 15 amp capacity of the circuit. I was about to build a DIY power relay to manage the heater on a separate circuit until I came across the IOT Power Relay. My question is do you think that the apex is able to operate this relay?http://www.sparkfun.com/products/14236.
    It appears so, though the data sheet isn't crystal clear. The issue with that one is that it doesn't have a closed enclosure for wiring the control signal. This is perfectly fine for low voltage DC input, but is a violation of the NEC for 120VAC in a household and a potential safety hazard.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

New User
    Any recommendations on the type of relays that would be compatible with Apex?

Quote Originally Posted by Minky View Post
    Any recommendations on the type of relays that would be compatible with Apex?
    The easiest is to just buy an EB4. The next best is something like this: http://www.titancontrols.net/shop/pr...Id=titan-power, and a DIY option works too if that price was hard to stomach. You just need to make sure the relay can be wired to a "suicide cord" inside a closed enclosure.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

New User
    Thanks for the info, taking your advice and ordering EB4, spent this much why stop LOL!