Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DOS with calcium reactor feed. Can they be used?

Frequent Visitor
    Following

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by jonmos75 View Post
    I am not changing my methods just answering the question....lol

I use and APT Peristaltic adjustable pump
    Which model ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Simon P View Post
    Well, it's been almost a full year now that I've had 2 CR on 2 different set-ups work under APEX/DOS control and I have to say it has been painless and easy. No more fiddling with effluent rates changing, clogs and such. Just a rock solid set up IMHO.
    I set mine up differently by just using the wizard and letting it do it's thing. I don't have issues with noise control and I wanted to show that this way works if you want to keep it super simple programming wise.
    Right now I have both CR running at 25000ml/24h and a rock solid 6.6 reactor PH. My alk is is usually around 8.8-9.0. Using the DOS has made consistency a breeze.
    I've heard people complain about wear and tear on the unit but I feel that this isn't any harder on the DOS as the massive and repetitive water changes some people set these up for. Besides, as far a high volume peristaltic pumps go, the DOS isn't that bad price wise so replacing one isn't that big of a deal. Go see what a good Cole Parmer pump will cost you and tell me how the noise compares to a DOS. And the Cole Parmer will not interact with your APEX anytime soon...
    Just my 2 cents.
    Simon
    By now you should be at or near 2 years on the DOS. Do you mind sharing any regrets and how many heads you have had to replace? What would you do differently?

Control Freak In Training
    Quote Originally Posted by rlbannon View Post
    By now you should be at or near 2 years on the DOS. Do you mind sharing any regrets and how many heads you have had to replace? What would you do differently?
    Also your code at this time also, please?

Frequent Visitor
    To be honest, I have no regrets. As I mentioned, the equipment has been rock solid since day 1. The very few issues I have had have mostly been due to the fact that the system is so stable I sometimes foget to do basic maintenance to it like head inspections and reactor maintenance.
    The heads seem to last around 4-5 months in both of my set-ups.
    The one thing that I have implemented in the last year or so is swapping DOS head drives. Since the DOS has 2 drive motors (1 per head) and, in my case, the CR side works quite a bit more than the other side (Kalk dosing) I've started swapping sides every 6 months or so to balance out wear. All I do is swap over the heads from one side of the DOS to the other and swap over the programming. I hope this will give me more "even" wear on the unit.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Muttley000 View Post
    Also your code at this time also, please?
    Well, you might be disappointed here but the code is as basic as can be.
    Just use the wizard to set the reactor flow to your specific needs. Start somewhere around 5000ml/24h and a reactor PH of around 6.6-6.8 for a typical mixed reef in the 100gl range and adjust flow up or down based on target Ca and Alk levels. Takes a few weeks to get there but once set it will be super stable and predictable.
    As mentioned earlier in this thread, I relied on the DOS wizard for quite a long time and just recently went to a dosing profile as I've been experimenting with lowering my alk from close to 9dkh to just under 8 and using a profile has given me a bit more flexibility to do that. But wizard or profile, both work and are equally stable.

New User
    The heads seem to last around 4-5 months in both of my set-ups.
    What indications are there when it’s time to change out the head?

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by tgbaby View Post
    What indications are there when it’s time to change out the head?
    Usually a reduction in flow which in turn drops the reactor PH below target (less flow, same CO2 bubble count).
    Personnaly I like to visually inspect them every few weeks or so. They all start to crack in the same area so it's easy to spot a head that's on it's way out.

Personnaly I like to visually inspect them every few weeks or so. They all start to crack in the same area so it's easy to spot a head that's on it's way out.
    You didn't happen to take pics of the cracks, did you?

Frequent Visitor
    You didn't happen to take pics of the cracks, did you?
    There was a whole thread about this issue a while ago. Neptune made some improvements to the heads by adding more ribs but they still crack in that area, it just takes longer.
    See here:
    https://forum.neptunesystems.com/sho...roken-dos-head

New User
    I have the DOS set up to drive my calcium reactor at 8000 ml per day. It kicks on for 1 minute every ten minutes at 60 ml per minute. It is loud enough that I can hear it outside of the house. I would like to have it run much slower and hopefully much quieter. I did the update on the DOS firmware but not much luck.

Can someone tell me a simple way to control the pump speed?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12