Thread: Dosing 2 Part

Regular Vistor

Dosing 2 Part

I was previously dosing Alk at night and calcium during the day but my Alk swing was to much for my liking during the day when soda ash was not being dosed. I would like to dose soda ash of the entire 24hrs and the calcium during the day. Is there a way to make sure there is a time gap between the two parts to make sure they don't precipitate? Randy Holmes-Farley recommended the dosing of soda ash over the entire day and I tend to believe him. Any help would be appreciated.

Regular Vistor
    Does anyone have anything on this?

Frequent Visitor

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by Perforator View Post
    Did you try to know what your talking about? Your not supposed to use oscillating programing with the DOS.

This is a forum, it's specifically made for people to ask questions...sorry if you have a problem with someone asking one. Please if you don't know the answer (which apparently you do not) then move on.

I'd like to know the answer as well before my DOS arrives tomorrow, I've done a fair amount of searching today with no straight answers.

Regular Vistor
    BTW Marty the most promising thing I've seen on this is to start your CA dosing at 00:00, and Alk at say 00:30. And I guess the DOS will separate it up and dose one 30 minutes after the other. I haven't confirmed it yet. I'll more than likely end up calling Neptune to confirm this programming since oddly there really isn't a lot of info out there on this yet. I would think most people using the DOS would be for 2 part.

Frequent Visitor

Regular Vistor
    Now that link in the link you posted is alot more helpful, thank you. I hope it does work.

Tbh I have to say I'm fairly disappointed that the Fusion wizard for the DOS doesn't have an easier option to split up up dosing of pump 1 and 2 by a certain amount of time. I'd imagine the vast majority of DOS users are using it for 2 part, I would think this would be a no brainer. Maybe im missing something...

In the 7+ years I've been dosing 2 part it has always been said to wait at least 5 minutes between adding parts 1 and 2. Not this stuff I've been reading on here about moving the 2 lines away from each other and letting em drip at the same time in a faster flowing part of the sump. Id be curious to see if Randy Holmes-Farley wold agree with that advise or not. I'm sure it wouldn't precipitate as much but I doubt the 2 part will ionize fully before they both reach the return pump, which would instantly precipitate.

Frequent Visitor
    Yea sorry about that. I don't have a DOS and didn't know you can't use the OSC command.

Frequent Visitor
    I just posted this in another thread. I hope this will help.

I like to use only 1 interval for each pump and have the Alk dosed first and then Ca.

Example : from 00:00 to 16:00 58 ml Alk (pump will dose every 10 minutes, you will see that in the interval summary). Because dose is every 10 minutes then I assign this interval for the Ca pump : 00:05 to 16:05 58 ml Ca.

In that way each pump will work with a difference of 5 minutes. The dosing tubes are placed in the return chamber. Those 5 minutes for a volume of around 1 ml is more than enought to avoid any precipitation.

Already 8 months using DOS in that way and no regrets.

You can increase that interval to all the day or as many hours you want from 00:00 to 23:59

Regular Vistor
    Nemodan would you perhaps be able to post your code you are using for this? Thank you.

Regular Vistor
    Great, I will try that and see what happens. Just to be clear I will set the Alk to 00:00 to 23:59 and then I will set the Calcium from 06:05 to 18:05. I also have created a ticket with support to see what they have to say. Thanks

Frequent Contributor iamchadster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by martyadamo View Post
    Great, I will try that and see what happens. Just to be clear I will set the Alk to 00:00 to 23:59 and then I will set the Calcium from 06:05 to 18:05. I also have created a ticket with support to see what they have to say. Thanks
    According to the posts that are being referenced the overall time must be the same. So for example Alk 00:00 to 23:50 and Ca from 00:05 to 23:55. The overall time period is the same, but Ca is offset by 5 minutes. Pick any time you like but the overall time between the two should be the same evidently.

Also, I know support is very busy with helping folks with service related items, although they are great I am guessing that it may take awhile to get your answer from them. Posting here was the right thing to do.
    Chad

Regular Vistor
    Neptune support has already responded back, see the below response.

No, it that is not possible. In our testing and experience, this was not an issue with only a couple mL at time. Precipitation will occur, when large amounts are added all at once. This does not happen with the DOS because it is doing it stepwise.

Please let us know if you have any other questions, or need any additional clarification.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Morangus View Post
    Nemodan would you perhaps be able to post your code you are using for this? Thank you.

See this link:

https://forum.neptunesystems.com/sho...-time-with-DOS

Regular Vistor
    That works great as long as the dosing times are the exact same time frame. If you want to dose Alk 24/7 and Ca 12hrs then this doesn't work. I want my pH to be more stable which is why I'm dosing Alk 24/7. Thanks for the link though.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by martyadamo View Post
    That works great as long as the dosing times are the exact same time frame. If you want to dose Alk 24/7 and Ca 12hrs then this doesn't work. I want my pH to be more stable which is why I'm dosing Alk 24/7. Thanks for the link though.
    What do you meant by a pH more stable ?

In your tank you will always have a pH fluctuation due to coral/algae photosynthesis.

This is my daily pH variation :

It is an SPS tank with a refugium full of macro algae that has the same day light cycle es the display tank. As you can see all is going well with that pH fluctation.

Frequent Contributor iamchadster's Avatar
    Great Tank Man! Your corals look amazing. What is your total water volume and how much do you dos per day of Alk and Ca?
    Chad

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by iamchadster View Post
    Great Tank Man! Your corals look amazing. What is your total water volume and how much do you dos per day of Alk and Ca?
    Thanks !!!

100 G total volume.

Dosing B ionic 2 parts. The amount varies depending on coral growth. I was dosing 83 ml each part till 2 weeks ago I had 2 power outages. One I was at home and lasted 12 hours. Connected generator. The other lasted 4 hours and I was traveling. Temp went from 78 to 76 and I had a pick of Alk from 7,5 to 8,5 dkh. Due to that corals suffered and I had to reduce dosing to 50 ml/day to return alk to 7.5 dkh. They stop growing

I hope that answer your questions.

Best
    Daniel