Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Smaller wav pump

Regular Vistor

Smaller wav pump

Is there any chance neptune will produce a smaller version of the wav pump? I know there are a large number of us that would welcome a smaller version with flow rates more suited to nano/40 breeder sized tanks. I bought the starter kit for my 240litre (50gal)mainly lps reef tank and after weeks of different mounting positions and killing a large torch coral gave up and put them back in the box . Which is a real shame as I will admit these are the best wave type pump I have ever held in my hand, the build quality and controllability are second to none, the only downside is the massive amount of flow. Even at 1% these things move water! I have seen people say they are more comparable to an mp40 than an mp10 but trust me in a 50gal tank they feel more like an mp60!!
    anybody who agrees please give a "plus 1" and we'll show neptune how much of a market there is for a nano version wav pump.
    And for anybody currently using a wav, or thinking about buying them, I'm not a hater! I love these pumps! I just wish they were more suited to smaller tanks. They really are top quality

Frequent Visitor
    Plus 1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    Plus 1

Regular Vistor
    Plus 1

Considering that they were giving away corals to help move WAV's ( https://www.neptunesystems.com/make-...get-free-glow/ ) I seriously doubt it. Not sure of the actual sales numbers but it seems as though that product needs help getting off the shelves.

Regular Vistor
    Could it be the extreme flow holding back sales? I'm sure if ecotech only made an mp60 they wouldn't be the industry standard and bet they down sell a fraction of mp60s compared to the mp10/40 sales. Does everybody in America have a tank 300gal+ I'd guess here in the UK the average size by far is around 36"- 48" tank (200-400 litres) with a massive increase in even smaller nano aquaria in the last few years.

Frequent Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by cypherljk View Post
    Considering that they were giving away corals to help move WAV's ( https://www.neptunesystems.com/make-...get-free-glow/ ) I seriously doubt it. Not sure of the actual sales numbers but it seems as though that product needs help getting off the shelves.
    That is not the reasoning for the offer. As good as they have been selling, we want more and more people to have them and see the benefits of less wires and more flow. That is not spin.

As far as a smaller version, I can't say at this point. However we are testing other impeller options to possibly make it so there are even more people that can utilize these pumps.

It is funny. Our thoughts when designing this product were to make sure we had a pump that would flow water at least as good as an MP40, do it for less money, and use less power and have less wires. It is possible that we overshot a bit on beating out the MP40 for flow

Quote Originally Posted by Terence View Post
    That is not the reasoning for the offer. As good as they have been selling, we want more and more people to have them and see the benefits of less wires and more flow. That is not spin.

As far as a smaller version, I can't say at this point. However we are testing other impeller options to possibly make it so there are even more people that can utilize these pumps.

It is funny. Our thoughts when designing this product were to make sure we had a pump that would flow water at least as good as an MP40, do it for less money, and use less power and have less wires. It is possible that we overshot a bit on beating out the MP40 for flow
    The product is outstanding and if you consider taking off $150 for the 1 Link module you are getting pumps for $175 each that do beat the crap out of anything on the market and are controllable. Just wasn't sure how many people were up to dropping $500 for the set. I think that next to the actual controller unit itself the WAV starter kit product is the most expensive purchase ( although it is a set of quality items ).

Regular Vistor
    A different impeller would be perfect, it would mean I wouldn't have to buy another 2 pumps and be able to use the two I have already purchased (which currently live back in there box) :-( these pumps are by far the best pumps I've ever seen, even just holding a pump in your hand you can tell the quality exceeds any other pump come before. I honestly think the extreme flow promised has been more than delivered, unfortunately rendering these pumps far too powerful for the majority of home reef keeping hobbyists with small to average sized tanks.

Classic User
    What would really be nice would be to be able to scale the speed range to encompass adequately lower speeds, keeping the higher end of the range.

...Or to have two selectable ranges, one low range for less flow and one high range as it is now. What would really be the ace in the deck would be having the two ranges programmitically selectable, if a single wider range is in the "too hard" pile.

Frequent Contributor iamchadster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fab View Post
    What would really be nice would be to be able to scale the speed range to encompass adequately lower speeds, keeping the higher end of the range.

...Or to have two selectable ranges, one low range for less flow and one high range as it is now. What would really be the ace in the deck would be having the two ranges programmitically selectable, if a single wider range is in the "too hard" pile.
    I was thinking the same thing. I don't know if there are limits though to how slow the motor can spin? Possibly the impeller with a slightly different angle of attack would be simpler but if ecotech was able to make their pumps run quieter I bet Neptune could make them run slower.
    Chad

Regular Vistor
    Only put a set(2) in today & would agree with the above posts, I started them up cautious at 5% and now have them at 0-1% - I already have 4 circ pumps & a return bouncing off the front glass , bought these for some crossflow for some sps but any higher their beating the lps up too hard.....shall be fiddling some more but yeah i think they could be geared down some,not going to be getting a lot of flow variation running between 0-1%...RSM 650L/170G tank 1.6m x 0.7 have them on either end at present.

Frequent Contributor iamchadster's Avatar
    Yes, I lost part of a hammer coral as well as a torch coral because I wasn't responsibly paying attention to their power.
    Chad

Regular Vistor
    It's when I lost my large torch coral I knew it was time to sadly pull the wav pumps out of my tank. When first added I had the wavs at each end of the tank thinking this was the most obvious placement. But soon realised the torch was going to get ripped from its coral skeleton. So I then tried every conceivable position trying to bounce the flow off as many sides of the tank as possible. But even at 1% these still produced crazy flow for my 50gal tank. In the end even tho the torch was not in direct flow the massive amount of chaotic flow cause by bouncing the flow off as many glass surfaces as possible led to the torch closing up and refusing to open. It then sadly died due to not feeding or lack of light received due to not expanding. This is a real shame as I have said above these pumps offer amazing quality, amazing controllability, amazing value but sadly for the smaller tanks amazing flow!

Regular Vistor
    Terance has there been any further development on the option of a smaller impeller? Are neptune trying to make this option available asap or is it just an idea that will be looked into after the cor pump and other products have been released and free'd up some research time?? If smaller impellers where avaliable I would buy them tomorrow :-) (ready and willing to beta test ;-) )

New User
    I would love to see a smaller impeller.

Regular Vistor
    This is a DC pump ain't it (24V)? is it not possible to somehow just lower the voltage range which i guess would lower the rpm?
    Possibly how min/max speed is already controlled?

Regular Vistor
    [QUOTE=2una;93837]This is a DC pump ain't it (24V)? is it not possible to somehow just lower the voltage range which i guess would lower the rpm?
    Possibly how min/max speed is already controlled?

I can see your thinking but I don't think it is that easy,
    for example programmable tunze pumps cannot be controlled at a setting of below 30% or ???volts supplied . Im no engineer but im guessing this is something to do with the amount of wire coils inside the pump motor. should lower than 30% or a voltage smaller than???v be supplied then im guessing the motor cant build up the correct magnetic field to spin the prop/impeller correctly or reliably. using this logic i think whatever voltage is supplied to the wav pump at 1% is the lowest that the pump can be given to provide the correct magnetic field to spin the prop/impeller. so the only way Neptune can provide less flow would be to build another pump with less wire coils or provide a smaller impeller that still spins at the same speed but moves less water due to its smaller size.
    but as I said im definitely no engineer, I could be completely wrong lol

New User
    I am one to add to the list of loving these pumps, but not sure I can use both or honestly any of them on my 65 gallon. I put both in last night at 1% pulse on the back wall pointing up to the water and they actually picked up my frogspawn from the sand bed and moved it.

New User
    A smaller version might be nice but I have successfully set up ONE Wav pump in my 55 gallon corner bowfront tank after doing a lot of research here. It is on the right front back wall down four inches from surface aimed across tank at left front corner. I followed the example given in set up, then lowered it by half so that at night it is !2% malibu peaking during the day to 54% Rincon. The corals all seem very happy, keeps tank very clean thats for sure (no sandbed). For sure it cannot be aimed at anything other than the wall.

Regular Vistor
    I have to agree about the power being too strong... Love them but really why is 1% 1875 rpm. with max being around 4500... shouldn't it be more like 400 to start? Hope they can come up with a smaller impeller. I have yet to figure out where to put these thing that won't create a tornado in my 75g. My tank is cycling right now so I hope I can figure it out before I ready to put anything in it.

New User
    Mine have been in my 90 gallon for about 2 months now. At first anything over 20% would create a sandstorm in my tank but as algae has grown on the pumps a little I can turn them up to about 40% with no problems. I need to clean them but I am afraid I will stir everything up again.

Regular Vistor
    Maybe some of the slots on the side could be blocked off somehow to reduce flow assuming it doesn't cause overheating or cavitation damage to the impeller. If there are replacement parts available it may be possible to trim or otherwise cut down the impeller blades but this would probably imbalance it, leading to long term wear/tear/damage unless one were very careful. It would probably be easier to put a foam ring around the inlets to try and reduce the flow somewhat.

Regular Vistor
    I am still somewhat of a newbie so I might not be understanding the issue completely, but for the people stating it is to powerful would you really go out and buy two MP40s and put them in a 50 gallon tank? I would think one would be sufficient. From what I am reading people are stating that two WAVs are producing to much flow. But even in a SPS dominate tank at 50 gallons I would think you would only need a pump rated up to about 1500 gallons per hour maybe a little more to give you some wiggle room. Having two WAVs is the equivalent to having 8000 gallons per hour running through the tank. Why not just purchase one WAV and add it to the small tank instead of buying a pair of them. Again I am sure I am missing out on part of the reasoning for having two pumps on a tank so if someone can enlighten me I would appreciate it.

A single pump is rarely suitable. It usually takes 2 or more positioned suitably to get acceptable levels of flow in most or all of the tank. With a single pump, it's inevitable that there will be very uneven water movement and dead spots where detritus will build up.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast