Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Smaller wav pump

Former User
    Shame but don't blame you in the circumstances. Resolving this problem certainly does not seem near the top of Neptune's priority list and not even a clear indication as to when or if it will every be resolved. Very poor customer service in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Muttley000 View Post
    Too bad, I think I could immediately put 8 of these to work! Since there isn't even a timetable I will probably look to Tunze!

Frequent Visitor
    I disagree with your view on poor customer service. This is a simple case of building a business case to request a new product. We need to show market demand and Neptune needs to ensure that this new product would be profitable, high quality and fit into their target roadmap / vision. I don't think this has very much to do with customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by mlandscape View Post
    Shame but don't blame you in the circumstances. Resolving this problem certainly does not seem near the top of Neptune's priority list and not even a clear indication as to when or if it will every be resolved. Very poor customer service in my opinion.

Former User
    Sorry but I will have to disagree with you as well. We are not talking about a new product here but a modification/improvement of an existing product where numerous customers have raised the same issue. I suggest you read this thread and others on this forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dxpert View Post
    I disagree with your view on poor customer service. This is a simple case of building a business case to request a new product. We need to show market demand and Neptune needs to ensure that this new product would be profitable, high quality and fit into their target roadmap / vision. I don't think this has very much to do with customer service.

Frequent Visitor
    We will have to agree to disagree. This modification/improvement to the existing product would require new parts, engineering, product management, QA, design decisions, marketing, packaging, instructions, etc. I have read the threads and would very much like a lower flow power head, but I believe this would need to have the same high standards that I am used to and thus would need to go through the standard product planning process.

Quote Originally Posted by mlandscape View Post
    Sorry but I will have to disagree with you as well. We are not talking about a new product here but a modification/improvement of an existing product where numerous customers have raised the same issue. I suggest you read this thread and others on this forum.

Former User
    Yes we will have to agree to disagree but I dont feel it's necessary to exaggerate what needs to be done. It's seems that Neptune have indicated that slowing the impeller will not work so presumably they are now considering a replacement impeller.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dxpert View Post
    We will have to agree to disagree. This modification/improvement to the existing product would require new parts, engineering, product management, QA, design decisions, marketing, packaging, instructions, etc. I have read the threads and would very much like a lower flow power head, but I believe this would need to have the same high standards that I am used to and thus would need to go through the standard product planning process.

New User
    Guessing nothing ever came out of this? I just purchased one of these assuming 1% would be ok for my 30 gallon Innovative Marine tank and this thing pumps way too hard.

Frequent Visitor
    I have solved this problem finally. I upgraded my tank from 65g to 180g.. now the WAV pumps work perfectly 😁

Frequent Visitor
    Nice ....

New User
    I've got a 42 gallon Red Sea Reefer cube. I've got both Wavs running in the tank loaded with softies. I solved the flow problem by wrapping both powerheads with thick plastic. It limits the flow enough to where they work without ripping the heads off of torches and hammers. Though I just cleaned them and regret it. Stupidly overpowered, and shame on Neptune for having not solved this by now. Either way, this hack works and to anyone that will say it will strain the motor, I'm about a year and half in on this config and zero issues..

New User
    wish i would've knew about the thread and investigated more before i brought 2 wav last week for my zero edge 22zr (22)gallon. i was using the mp10 and was getting great flow, however my tank is an overflow aquarium and the mp10 dry side got wet so it stop working (should've investigated that also ... i know this thread is several years old, has there been any updates or solutions for these issues?

New User
    Nope doesn’t look like it ); I wish they had a one for smaller tanks. I would love one or two for my 34 gallon. I really would want one because of the integration with the apex. Although I might go with a reef octopus powerhead because apparently it does connect with apex.

Frequent Contributor SuncrestReef's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nano Chris View Post
    Nope doesn’t look like it ); I wish they had a one for smaller tanks. I would love one or two for my 34 gallon. I really would want one because of the integration with the apex. Although I might go with a reef octopus powerhead because apparently it does connect with apex.
    Neptune recently added IoTA Apex compatibility for the Sicce XStream SDC powerheads, which have a 270 - 2250 gph rating. You might want to consider this option for smaller tanks compared to the WAV's 4000 gph rating. Here's the configuration guide:
    https://www.neptunesystems.com/downl...User_Guide.pdf

Regular Vistor
    Plus one smaller wave pump please. Also, get us some 1link fans or diy output for such.

Quote Originally Posted by SLOfizz View Post
    Plus one smaller wave pump please. Also, get us some 1link fans or diy output for such.
    1LINK ports combine Aquabus and 24VDC power - they are for connecting Apex gear such as WAVs and DOS; they are not suitable for fans because they provide continuous unswitched power.

The DC24 outputs provide switched 24VDC power and Neptune already sells a DC25@4 cable for DIY purposes
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Regular Vistor

Nah, you can do it

Nah, you guys can certainly make a fan. You can control the Wav/Dos, you guys can control a fan. If I knew your protocol, I could have a PCB made in a few weeks to do that.

I get the DIY thing. Not really. Im talking a small PCB that uses the AquaBus signal to turn on/off the 24v output (at load rating preferred) of the module, the module would still be powered. 2 open/closed contacts on it would probably cover 80% of little DIY projects and cost you a $10 PCB + case (add in $5 if switching the 24v at load) you could sell for $50-60 bucks. iLink Breakout Box with 24v on/off control and 2 open/closed inputs and I could have at least 3 of my DIY projects on my tanks on APEX with all the programming/alarms you guys offer turning my Meh solution into a great one.

Yes, I know I can pull 2 signals off my breakout box and run your 24v cable over and do the same thing, but those are used up on my Display tank and would require 2-3 cables to a remote device. To add that capability to my setup I would need to get a Module with the open/closed inputs which would have some probe interface I don't need then add your 1Link for power or PowerBar for the on/off control. That is many hundreds of dollars and a mess of modules for a simple project. That hurdle of entry will 100% keep those devices analog and not on Apex.

There are so many gadgets on our tanks we would love to add to an Apex but can't. Making a "Makers" breakout box would 100% get some people making some cool "something" no one thinking about and bringing in another customer when they see this cool solution on the Forums. The "gadget" could be the deciding factor between your controller and another.

I don't want to make and maintain the DIY maker Arduino controllers because your product is great. I have a ton of little DIY solutions that are a mess of cables and power supplies right now that I would love a little module that had 24v power and some simple control inputs that I could then attach to Apex at a price point and ease that I could tinker on the project and scrap it if it doesn't pan out.

Pretty sure if you build it, the makers will come. Something awesome will then be made, become popular on the Forums. People will want it and look into buying an Apex. A commercial Apex ready solution from someone else would then follow if it is viable, returning a product to your ApesReady strategy.

With a 1Link breakout box people could make a feeder, roller mat, all kinds of Lights/ATO for Nano tanks, add some control to a temporary QT tank, control reactors and other sump gadgets like an Algae Scrubber. Those are just things already in the market for consumers. In a lab, control some live food cultures, monitor/control and experiment, control plumbing/air lines on a manifold... etc.

With 3d Printers people will come up with some really cool stuff that they could make/sell because they don't need to create the Brains, just the gadget. You are supplying the power/brains in one cable. Each 3D printed solution would not be a viable product on its own due to volume so it won't exist without Apex. It really is the perfect synergy of 1Link in my opinion.

If that product is successful - A deluxe version with some digital control of outputs (multiple open/closed, variable V or PWM) adn more inputs would be awesome and really cheap to make as well. This one is a bit in the weeds for most and a much smaller user base, but it would sell in a lower volume and really open up solutions for the creative type.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by toby_o_b_1 View Post
    wish i would've knew about the thread and investigated more before i brought 2 wav last week for my zero edge 22zr (22)gallon. i was using the mp10 and was getting great flow, however my tank is an overflow aquarium and the mp10 dry side got wet so it stop working (should've investigated that also ... i know this thread is several years old, has there been any updates or solutions for these issues?
    How do you like the Zero Edge 22, I have a 46 gallon Zero Edge, that only overflows on 3 sides, so I have a dry side. I mounted my 2 WAV pumps on the back, but don't run over about 6%, or they shoot water over the edge.

Frequent Visitor
    I posted a similar thread on another site not too long ago. I love the WAVs and integration with the EB832 but they are absolute typhoons on anything less than about a 100g DT. I've got them (2) in a 60g DT and running at anything over about 3% puts water on the floor. I'm on the fence about "downgrading" as my critters don't seem stressed at a 3% pump rate and I hate the thought of losing the EB integration so I 'spose I'll wait a bit longer hoping for a smaller WAV.

New User
    I too purchased 2 WAV pumps for my 84gal Peninsula and found that at 100% they would be blowing fish out of the far end! Even at 1% they are still moving sand 4 ft. away. I love the design, engineering, and especially the price but really, REALLY suggest that Neptune design a pump at half the size as they could sell 3 times as many as they do the current WAV.
    Finally had to pull mine and are currently in a box. Would buy a pair of WAVs that were half the size in a hot flash!

Now that you have the new versions of the Apex out, time to man the pumps and release a smaller version!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234