Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doorbell or Something Else?

Frequent Visitor

Doorbell or Something Else?

First of all a disclaimer, my Apex is showing up today so I have had no opportunity to get it set up but I am excited for my new toy to arrive and thinking about how I will use it. One of the things that I would like to do is use a breakout box for a feed cycle and a clean cycle. From a bit of reading it appears to me that a doorbell would work well to initiate this cycle. Would this be correct? Is there another option that would work better?

You don't need a BoB to activate a feed cycle. You can do that from the display (if you have one), the web pages or a smartphone. And a maintenance cycle is just a long feed cycle. You can define 4 of them with different durations and have them impact different outlets if you want.
    Al

I do not work for Neptune. Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums!
    For Neptune support send an email (don't call) to: [email protected] .
    Manuals for all products including the
    Comprehensive Reference Manual can be found here.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by aquamanic View Post
    You don't need a BoB to activate a feed cycle. You can do that from the display (if you have one), the web pages or a smartphone. And a maintenance cycle is just a long feed cycle. You can define 4 of them with different durations and have them impact different outlets if you want.
    Thanks for the reply, I do understand that I could do it that way but I am constantly cleaning my tank and when I travel my kids or wife feed the tank so I wanted a simple solution....a big bright button labeled "FEED"

In that case then yes, you can use a doorbell. You have to do some things with programming since the doorbell is a momentary switch that doesn't stay in a CLOSED state for long. But there's plenty of threads on how that looks and there's some sample code in the Reference Manual that should help.

You could also put a simple toggle switch inside your stand. Would make programming much easier since it will stay in an OPEN or CLOSED state as long as you want.
    Al

I do not work for Neptune. Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums!

Frequent Visitor
    In that case then yes, you can use a doorbell. You have to do some things with programming since the doorbell is a momentary switch that doesn't stay in a CLOSED state for long. But there's plenty of threads on how that looks and there's some sample code in the Reference Manual that should help.

You could also put a simple toggle switch inside your stand. Would make programming much easier since it will stay in an OPEN or CLOSED state as long as you want.
    Thanks for the reply. Would the toggle switch require two actions? In other words if I set up a feed cycle to shut off my pumps my though would be that a door bell would shut off the pump for a period of time and then restart. The toggle would require an on and an off which leaves room for error when my kids are feeding.

As aquamanic pointed out, programming for a momentary button like a doorbell switch is a bit more complicated. But IMO it's worth it in some cases, because then you can have the programming automatically put things back to normal after configurable periods of time.... just push the button for a second or two until the Apex recognizes that the button has been pressed, do what you need to do and walk away. If a toggle switch is used, you'll have to remember to flip the switch back to normal when done.

I travel frequently, so I did the same thing you described... a simple push-button mounted on the back edge of the canopy so my wife could do feeding without having to touch the controller.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    As aquamanic pointed out, programming for a momentary button like a doorbell switch is a bit more complicated. But IMO it's worth it in some cases, because then you can have the programming automatically put things back to normal after configurable periods of time.... just push the button for a second or two until the Apex recognizes that the button has been pressed, do what you need to do and walk away. If a toggle switch is used, you'll have to remember to flip the switch back to normal when done.

I travel frequently, so I did the same thing you described... a simple push-button mounted on the back edge of the canopy so my wife could do feeding without having to touch the controller.
    Russ....that is similar to my thought process. I have been feeding for 10 years with the pumps on so if the button push doesn't happen to kill the pump no big deal but if a toggle is left off for 2 days while I am out of town that is a disaster.

Here's the code you want to look at:

Doorbell Activated Program

Contributed by swearint (Todd)

The example given here is a feed cycle but using this same logic, you could use this for other applications. In this example there’s a variable speed pump running on VS_Port1. You could substitute a VorTech on a WXM module just as easily.

[Feed]
    Set OFF
    If Switch_3 CLOSED then ON
    Defer 030:00 then OFF <---- this is the statement that makes it work. with a doorbell switch, it would CLOSE then OPEN right away. This prevents that from happening for 30 minutes.

[VS_Port1
    Set Profile_1
    If Outlet Feed = ON Then Profile_2

Assuming you had a Tunze pump hooked up to VS_Port1, it would operate according to Profile_1 (normal) until you hit the doorbell switch. At that point, Feed would be ON and VS_Port1 would change to Profile_2 (feed profile). Once the Defer expires (30 minutes), Feed turns OFF and VS_Port1 would revert to Profile_1 until the next time.
    Al

Once you have the Apex, and have basic operation configured and working, and have the BoB connected and a push button switch attached, let us know and we can help with the programming as needed. It's premature to talk that depth of Apex-geekyspeak until you are more comfortable with the Apex.

Important tip: don't buy a doorbell pushbutton with a lighted button... it won't work.

Here's how I did mine - the 15-minute button for feedings, and the 60-minute button for maintenance (I had it down pat - water change, sock change, skimmer cleaning in 30-40 minutes, so 60 minutes worked great, and allowed for short disruptions.

New User

Re: Doorbell or Something Else?

Russ that looks good. Where did you get those buttons and box ? I may have to plagerize that setup!!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

That was 6 years ago, and these days I have trouble remembering last week ! I probably got everything at Fry's but any electronics shop should have the small project box and switches. Even RadioShack...

Expat93
    Russ,

I have two regular $4 doorbells that I'm using for momentary switches. I want #1 to activate Feed A and #2 to activate Feed B, I've done a tremendous amount of programming within this system, but this code has me baffled. Can you tell me what I'm missing?

If Switchx6_1 Closed Then FeedA

Kevin

Once you have the Apex, and have basic operation configured and working, and have the BoB connected and a push button switch attached, let us know and we can help with the programming as needed. It's premature to talk that depth of Apex-geekyspeak until you are more comfortable with the Apex.

Important tip: don't buy a doorbell pushbutton with a lighted button... it won't work.

Here's how I did mine - the 15-minute button for feedings, and the 60-minute button for maintenance (I had it down pat - water change, sock change, skimmer cleaning in 30-40 minutes, so 60 minutes worked great, and allowed for short disruptions.

You cannot activate a Feed Cycle that way. See your other thread.

New User
    [Feed]
    Set OFF
    If Switch_3 CLOSED then ON
    Defer 030:00 then OFF <---- this is the statement that makes it work. with a doorbell switch, it would CLOSE then OPEN right away. This prevents that from happening for 30 minutes.

[VS_Port1
    Set Profile_1
    If Outlet Feed = ON Then Profile_2
    I'm trying to set something like this myself. Am I correct in thinking that the feed outlet is a virtual outlet? So I would write
    If outlet feed = ON then (insert the command I want here, off, profile_2,etc)

And I would enter that for everything I want to change its mode.

In the example I gave, yes Feed is a virtual outlet. Normal feed mode is not - it's a program statement but the example given was how to simulate a feed cycle using a pushbutton switch.
    Al

Frequent Visitor
    Radio shack as all you need to make button box.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Frequent Visitor
    The push button itself, or just the light part won't work? That may be my problem, I got a doorbell with a lighted button and it's not working on my BO box.

Old thread, but perhaps it can be revived

Once the Defer 030:00 gets into play, is there a way to kill it? Let's say I have one doorbell button to set "Feed Mode" but after 5 minutes passed, I want to go back to normal operation by pressing another doorbell button. Or even better that same button acting as a toggle (but I guess I'm asking too much with that one).

Regular Vistor
    rsucre, I was thinking the same thing as I was reading this, so was very happy to see your question. The disappointed to see there was no reply. I have a feeling there is no way to do this. I really wish they would let us activate a feed mode in programing, would make things much easier. Not sure why you can't control the feed modes. Seems like it would be a no brainer feature...

Frequent Visitor
    I use a toggle switch. My feed time lasts as long as I have the switch thrown.

To have a second button turn it off add a new virtual outlet
    FeedOff
    Set OFF
    If Switch4 CLOSED Then ON
    Defer 030:00 Then OFF

The Defer will keep this one on for as long as Feed is on. If you press this one by accident you can not feed for 30 minutes.

in VS_Port1 add
    If Outlet FeedOff = ON Then Profile_1
    at the end.

If you want to use the same switch it becomes more complicated. It takes 4 virtual outlets and vFeedEm is on during the feed cycle, which is either 30 minutes or until the button is pressed a second time. When you press the button the feed cycle starts and ends 30 minutes after you let the button go. When you let go of the button, during vFeed, vOpen comes on and stays on until the end of vFeed. If you press the button while vOpen then vSecond comes on. vFeedEm comes on as soon as vFeed starts and goes off when vFeed stops. If vSecond comes on vFeedEm also shuts off.

vFeed
    Set OFF
    If Button Closed Then ON
    Defer 030:00 Then OFF

vOpen
    If Button OPEN Then ON
    If Outlet vFeed = OFF Then OFF

vSecond
    If Button CLOSED Then ON
    If Outlet vOpen = OFF Then OFF

vFeedEm
    Set OFF
    If Outlet vFeed = ON Then ON
    If Outlet vSecond = ON Then OFF

OK I got it to turn off but will not turn back on what am I doing wrong

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    Post your code, copy and paste from Fusion an put the names with the code. Exactly what did you do and why do you think it is not working. It takes as long as the defer to reset once it has started.

Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If Swx5_5 CLOSED Then OFF
    Defer 060:00 Then OFF

Fallback ON
    Set ON
    If Swx5_5 CLOSED Then ON

I think you were close depending on which one is the current code you have.

This will always be off not matter what is happening.

Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If Swx5_5 CLOSED Then OFF

This will always be on and never turn off since all statements are on.

Fallback ON
    Set ON
    If Swx5_5 CLOSED Then ON

If you change set to OFF and keep the Defer it should work as intended which would be:

Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If Swx5_5 CLOSED Then ON
    Rob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast