Thread: Dimmable T5 Fixtures

Regular Vistor

Dimmable T5 Fixtures

Not sure if this is the right sub forum so mods move if needs be. Interested to know what dimmable T5 fixtures do people use with their Apex. Im looking for a light for a frag tank (42x18x12H). The fixture only needs to be 36" and more than likely going with 6 bulbs, 2 channels minimum. I know there are standalone futures with built in timers for ramping up and down but want integration and not just on/off. I'd prefer not to DIY a kit but if necessary I will.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regular Vistor

Dimmable T5 Fixtures

I bought a dimmable ballast and all the parts that go along with a t5 retro kit from brs. The retrofit kits come standard with just a off/on ballast so that's why I bought all parts separately. Wired the 0-10 Vdc to apex. Dims down to 1%. At 0% the t5 flickers so I have the 120v connected to eb8 and programmed to turn off at 0 vdc. Option if you are using a canopy.

Hope this helps.

Frequent Visitor
    I'm in the process of doing this myself...4 ballasts to control 8 lights....how fast can you get the lights to ramp up? wonder if you could create a make shift lightning effect

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by dbelben2556 View Post
    I bought a dimmable ballast and all the parts that go along with a t5 retro kit from brs. The retrofit kits come standard with just a off/on ballast so that's why I bought all parts separately. Wired the 0-10 Vdc to apex. Dims down to 1%. At 0% the t5 flickers so I have the 120v connected to eb8 and programmed to turn off at 0 vdc. Option if you are using a canopy.

Hope this helps.
    How did you connect the Apex to the ballast?

Dimmable drivers/ballasts will have two more wires coming out of them than non-dimmable ones. Those are the dimming control inputs. They can be connected to a cable Neptune sells - one which has the RJ45 plug on it to plug directly into a variable port on the Apex or VDM module - the other end of that cable has stripped wires for DIY things like this.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    Dimmable drivers/ballasts will have two more wires coming out of them than non-dimmable ones. Those are the dimming control inputs. They can be connected to a cable Neptune sells - one which has the RJ45 plug on it to plug directly into a variable port on the Apex or VDM module - the other end of that cable has stripped wires for DIY things like this.
    Got it, Thank you!

New User

BRS Miro 4 Retro Kit Help

Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    Hey man, did you simply plug in the RJ45 into your apex head unit and then the black and red wires into the negative and positive on the ballast? Can't seem to get mine to fire. Thanks

New User

Exclamation LET Lighting wiring diagram

Quote Originally Posted by bpseal View Post
    Hey man, did you simply plug in the RJ45 into your apex head unit and then the black and red wires into the negative and positive on the ballast? Can't seem to get mine to fire. Thanks

Well I have gone completely nuts trying to figure this one out. I have found an RJ45 diagram using pins 1/2 and 5/6. Wired it that way and I get 1 set full on 2nd set barely on. Anyone have an answer or solution please

Quote Originally Posted by jisherwood View Post
    Well I have gone completely nuts trying to figure this one out. I have found an RJ45 diagram using pins 1/2 and 5/6. Wired it that way and I get 1 set full on 2nd set barely on. Anyone have an answer or solution please
    Post a pic of the underside of the plug (so we can see wire colors) and the ballast wiring.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.