Thread: Apex Jr - Can I set it up wireless

New User

Apex Jr - Can I set it up wireless

The get started instructions say i the module will operate via WiFi, is this true or not? If it is true, does anyone know of a link how to set it up or can you explain it here plz.

Here is the statement in the Initial connections for the Controler:
    " •Note: If your router is not near your Aquarium, that is OK! For initial setup, we will need to be connected to your router. After setup is complete you have the opportunity to make the controller wireless to your home network "

Thanks

The Apex Jr does not have Wi-Fi built in, but many people do use a wireless adapter of some sort. There are a number of 3rd party network devices which can be used for this. I must point out that you CANNOT use any device which has a USB connection. The wireless adapter must have at least one Ethernet port (some suitable devices have 4). What you need are often called wireless media adapters, range extenders, or wireless bridges.

Many have used the NetGear WNCE2001, but that model was discontinued some time ago.

A few possibilities:

http://netgear.com/home/products/net.../WN3000RP.aspx
    http://www.linksys.com/us/p/P-RE3000W/
    http://www.belkin.com/us/F9K1106-Belkin/p/P-F9K1106/

There are other options beside WiFi. A different technology called Powerline networking can be used. They use transmit network traffic through your house electrical wiring. Powerline devices come in pairs... one unit gets plugged in to an electrical outlet near your router and a network cable is connected between it and a LAN port on the router. The other unit gets plugged in to a wall outlet (not an EnergyBar outlet) near the Apex and then you connect the Apex to it with a network cable.

http://www.tp-link.us/products/detai...PA4010KIT.html
    http://www.linksys.com/us/p/P-PLEK400/
    http://netgear.com/home/products/net.../XAVB5221.aspx

Disclaimer: I do not know for sure if any of these will work based on first-hand experience. I do have a strong background in networking, so am using that knowledge and experience to pick candidates based on the product descriptions.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

New User
    Thanks for the answer and the info. I'll p/u a wince2001. Appreciate your help!
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Joemark View Post
    Thanks for the answer and the info. I'll p/u a wince2001. Appreciate your help!
    Mark
    It was discontinued quite some time ago.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Classic User
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    There are other options beside WiFi. A different technology called Powerline networking can be used. They use transmit network traffic through your house electrical wiring. Powerline devices come in pairs... one unit gets plugged in to an electrical outlet near your router and a network cable is connected between it and a LAN port on the router. The other unit gets plugged in to a wall outlet (not an EnergyBar outlet) near the Apex and then you connect the Apex to it with a network cable.
    I have used these devices. They have limited application. They only work reliably if the two units are on the same electrical circuit. That basically means that they must be connected back to the same circuit breaker. Modern housing construction will usually have multiple circuits for power outlets around a house.

I have had good success with power line adapters on the same house circuit. I have tried them on circuits that were not connected to the same circuit breaker, also. They would work some of the time but I could not count on them at all. I ran one pair that did not share the same breaker successfully for a week or so. Then it failed to maintain a reliable network connection for several days. This kept on happening a few times before I finally trashed the adapters.

That said, they are useful when the same-circuit restriction can be met. For example, you can eliminate long runs of ethernet cables to devices the are in nearby rooms or just across from each other in the same room as long as they are on the same circuit.

If anyone finds a powerline adapter model that will work reliably across two circuit breakers, please let me know. That will solve a major headache for me in my home.

Regular Vistor
    Here's what I use without any issue. It's small which is a bonus.

Amazon sells it cheap too.

IOGEAR Universal Ethernet to Wi-Fi N Adapter for Home or Office GWU627

New User
    Curious, I had so much trouble setting up the Jr. at first. Funny thing is I work in technology lol. Question is, in order to use Wifi on the Jr. you need to have the ethernet port plugged into the Apex at all times. What happens when I want to install the ICECAP cable so I can control my Reef Octopus Varios 2? I need another ethernet port right? How do I do this? I wish Neptune systems would have clearer signal path or diagrams of setups to explain how to connect things. That would eliminate questions like these.

Apex Jr - Can I set it up wireless

The VariosS pumps connect to a variable speed port (which the Jr does not have). To add Variable Speed outputs to a Jr, you must add a VDM module. The Ethernet jack in an Apex Jr is for a network connection only.

Variable ports do use an RJ45 but not all RJ45s are Ethernet. Ethernet is just one common use for the 8-pin RJ45 connections. RJ45 is also used for business telephone systems, T1 data circuits, and more.

New User
    Thanks Russ. I'm thinking I should've gone for the Apex and not the Jr. model. I wound up buying the WXM and now I guess the VDM as well. Thanks for the clarification.