Thread: False? Low Temp Warnings

New User

False? Low Temp Warnings

Hello all,

I'm having an issue where my Apex is sending me email warnings of a temperature drop below 76° despite the Apex reporting a consistent temp of 78.5°. I get the warnings every 30 to 60 minutes. I have two heaters—set at 79° and 80°—in the first chamber of my sump, with the probes located in the return pump chamber. I've calibrated my probe and I have a Cole-Parmer thermometer confirming the 78.5° Apex reading. The high temp warning has never triggered. I do have the proper probe selected. My only suspicion is the Apex thinks it's in Celsius, but my probe settings are set to Fahrenheit.

This is the code I have triggering the alarm;

Code:
    Set OFF
    If Temp_1 > 82.0 Then ON
    If Temp_1 < 76.0 Then ON
    If pH > 8.50 Then ON
    If pH < 7.70 Then ON
    If Saline < 34.0 Then ON
    If Saline > 36.0 Then ON
    If Power Apex Off 000 Then ON
    And this is the info contained in the email alarm;

Date: 2016-04-07 08:27:44 (2016-04-07 12:27:44 UTC)
    Statement: If Temp_1 < 76.0 Then ON (20.7 )

I know this is probably going to be something stupid I missed, so apologies in advance and thank you to those who chime in with a solution.

Classic User
    The email reports a temperature as 20.7°. If that is in Celsius then it equates to 69.3°F. Your actual measured temperature is 78.5 according to your display and your thermometer. Yes, a reading of 20.7° does look like a Celsius number but it is not the correct number for 78.5°F.

The email reports on Temp_1. Your post says:
    ...with the probes located in the return pump chamber. I've calibrated my probe...
    I do have the proper probe selected...
    suggesting that you have more than one temperature probe. On my first read, I figured the "probes" were not Apex probes; rather they came with the heaters. But your statement, "I do have the proper probe selected," threw me, if you have only one Apex temperature probe.

How many Apex probes do you have?

If you have more than one then the email alert message may be correct.

Try taking the Apex temp probe out of the water that you believe corresponds to Temp_1. Close your hand around it as though you are taking your temperature so that the probe reading should rise in temperature. Make sure the temperature reported on the display shows that rise.

Then put the Apex probe in a glass of water that is very warm to your touch, not hot. If this is the probe that is alarming, you should get an email alert. If it is not then Apex does not agree that you have the proper one selected.

If the display of the Apex probe does rise and the email alert happens then you have confirmed that the probe corresponds to Temp_1 in your system. Now use your thermometer to read the temperature of the water in the glass to determine how close the Temp_1 probe reading is to it and to the temperature reported in the email.

If the display module reading and the email reported reading do not agree there is a problem to report to Neptune Systems' tech support.

If, as I wrote above, your Apex controller disagrees that the probe you had in your hand to take your temperature was not the correct probe for Temp_1 then the ball is back in your court to find the right probe for Temp_1.

Please share the outcome of your chasing down the resolution of this problem so we can all learn from it.

...and good luck with it.

Frequent Contributor

False? Low Temp Warnings

Also 20.5-20.7 Fahrenheit is what the Apex will show if a Temp probe is enabled and there is not Temp probe plugged in or it is a bad Temp probe.

I would make sure that the Temp probe is plugged into the correct probe port (I have seen people plug the Temp in to the control port on the base unit).
    Jon

New User
    Yep. I feel stupid, I did indeed have the wrong temp probe selected. SMH.

Fab, holding the probe like a thermometer was a beautiful suggestion to quickly diagnose the issue.

jonmos75, knowing the default reporting for a port with no probe pushed it over the edge for me that I had indeed selected the wrong probe.

For now I only have the one Apex temp probe, I'll add a second one later as this is a new build and I'm just trying to get the basics up and running for now.

Thanks for the quick and accurate replies. :)

Go ahead and disable the unused probe port, as well as any other unused probe ports you might have.

That gets rid of the unneeded tiles on the dashboard and help prevent "oops"
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Classic User
    Jsauger,
    Don't feel stupid, you solved the problem! And now you have learned something about how Apex behaves in a specific situation so you even came out smarter.
    fab