Thread: RO System And Auto Water Changes Help

New User

RO System And Auto Water Changes Help

This is my first post so please forgive any mistakes i may make. I have just purchased my first Apex Controller and am going to try to use the I/O box to control the floats in my RO Resevior and sump tank to control my water changes and the filling of my RO Resevior. Here is my Idea.

1) I have installed an electric flow control valve on the main inlet line to the RO unit.
    2) I have installed a “ T “ connecter in the waste water line of the RO unit. So there is a line running to the outlet of the RO unit and to a pump inside my sump tank.
    3) I have installed 1 electric flow control valve on the RO outlet side and another on the line going to the pump in my sump tank.
    4) I have a ATO setup in the sump that will pull water from my RO Resevior. I the sump there are high and low floats that work with the ATO system and this has been working for several months now.
    5) There are 2 floats in my RO Resevior that turn on a booster pump to full the resevior

So here is my thoughts of what I would hope could happen when a water change is triggered or the RO Resevior needs to be filled

1) Once week (lets say Monday) the Apex will shutoff the return pump in my sump tank and turn on the pump to do drain the water out of the sump return water return area. And closing the valve on the RO Outlet line and opening the one on the sump drain line
    2) Of course when the water level gets below the low level float in the sump the ATO will began to add water independently of the Apex Controller.
    3) After a set time the Apex will shutoff the water change pump and the sump drain valve and opening the RO Outlet valve wait say 5 minuutes and the start the return pump back up. Only problem I see here is if the ATO system fails it could start the return pump with no water in the sump. I think I will have to add another float in the sump so the Apex knows there is enough water in the sump to start the return pump up.

Now for the RO Resevior fill.
    1) The float in the RO Resevior indicates the water level is low and needs to be filled
    2) Then the Apex would open the main water valve and turn on the booster pump
    3) Then after the RO Resevior is filled it would shutoff the booster pump and turn off the main water valve

What I need is someone to look and tell me if this is possible with the Apex Controller and maybe give some ideas on how to program this.

Thank you all for any help

Regular Vistor
    For water changes I don't recommend your method. I would use a DOS or 2 peristaltic pumps that you both turn ON at the same time. I do a gallon a day, spread out over the day. nice slow gradual change, and I don't have to turn off my return pump or any other stuff. I've been doing this for 1 year and have yet to have a problem with salinity, etc...

For your RO setup there are 2 methods I would consider.

1. Use an RO reservoir connected to a float shutoff valve and run a separate pump (aqualifter, peristaltic ...) to pull from that reservoir. When the water drops in the res, the float drops and the RODI kicks in again.

2. remove the float valve from the equation and put your electric valve in place and run the RO line to the tank itself. Then control the flow valve as if it were the ATO pump. When your tank demands RODI, the flow valve opens, and water flows through the RODI. This is risky as hell in my opinion.