Thread: Offline use of apex

New User

Offline use of apex

Hello all
    I am looking into getting a controller for my upcoming build, my question is,, Can the Apex be used/setup without internet..
    I have no internet at my house, nor is there any available.. (penalty of living way out)

Frequent Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesholt View Post
    Hello all
    I am looking into getting a controller for my upcoming build, my question is,, Can the Apex be used/setup without internet..
    I have no internet at my house, nor is there any available.. (penalty of living way out)
    You sure can it can be a pain in the butt to program the outlets using the display. It is diffidently doable.
    Jon

It's possible, but you forgo some of the best capabilities, like the ability to use APEX Fusion and to get email and text alarms.

As a minimum, you'd want to have the Apex connected to a basic Wi-Fi router so you can manage it through the built-in web-based interface using a wired or wireless computer and/or mobile device.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor
    I think Russ is talking about using a wifi router to connect to the classic dashboard. You don't have to have internet go do this, the router simply creates a local network girl you to access

New User
    I just need it to control, the text and email stuff is useless to me..
    Thanks for all the help, guess i will go ahead and order a Jr and start playing with it..

Frequent Visitor
    A local network, not connected to the Internet, will still allow you to connect with the classic dashboard and possibly fusion, I am not sure on that. These methods of connecting are much easier than the display.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogfish View Post
    A local network, not connected to the Internet, will still allow you to connect with the classic dashboard and possibly fusion
    . Since APEX Fusion is out "in the cloud", on the Internet, it will not be accessible from an isolated network not connected to the Internet.

The classic dashboard (which is embedded in the Apex itself) will be accessible even without Internet services.

An inexpensive router is needed.... Nothing fancy, just a basic WiFi router. The Apex gets connected to one of the router's LAN ports using the supplied network cable. A computer can then be connected with a network cable to another of the router's LAN ports.

Optionally, the WiFi can be used for a mobile device.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

New User
    If you don't want or have a router, you can connect a crossover Ethernet cable between your computer and the apex. This in of itself has some additional complexities as in you'll have to provide a static IP for both your computer and apex.

I agree with everyone else though, use the classic web interface, it's practically impossible to program anything meaningful through the display.

A crossover cable is not needed to do a direct connection. Nearly every Ethernet-capable device made in recent years supports automatic detection of transmit and receive, a process called Auto MDI/MDI-X.

I don't recommend a direct connection anyway, because as was pointed out, it's more complicated to manually configure the network settings on Apex and computer.

Classic User
    About as inexpensive as you can get... $17 ... via ethernet cables, not wireless, no internet.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...XrsRoCzMzw_wcB

I have not used this router.

That is not a router. It's a switch, which is almost useless in this case.