Thread: Came home to DISASTER! Help!

Frequent Visitor

Came home to DISASTER! Help!

So I was away for the weekend, and came home only to find out that all my pumps were off and I had lost 7/10 fish, and 90% of my SPS I am FURIOUS of coarse, but have a few things that I think some folks here can potentially help me with.

First, I had an issue with Fusion connecting after I had added an electrical outlet, another EB8, and 2 PM1 modules. See here:
    https://forum.neptunesystems.com/sho...not-Connecting

After working on this for a while with the standard reboot, restart, checking IP addy, etc, I got it to connect on the day I left (Friday). I have an email response set up to tell me if power failed, or if my ALD sensor gets triggered, which I DID NOT receive during this issue. SO, I am totally confused as to why I would not have at least gotten an email that stated my power failed, like I have gotten in the past, where I could have at least had someone check on this while I was away. I also do not have connection with fusion, which happened

Anyway, I am looking for some feedback on both the Fusion connection issue as well as why I did not receive an email on the power failure. Thanks in advance for the help.

Frequent Visitor
    Well you said you added a new EB8. Did you make sure as soon as you installed it to make sure all the Firmwares of the modules are in sync and up to date. I have seen many times people add a device to the apex and its an old Firmware which makes the whole system not act right. Check that first.

Screen Shot 2016-05-02 at 5.53.30 PM.jpg

You'll need to provide a lot more info before we can really help. Did you have a power outage? You don't actually say if you did or not. If not, why did you expect an email about one?

Post the email alarm programming please.

Is your Apex system running on a UPS/battery backup? If not, you won't get notifications about power loss - you'll only get notification when power is restored.

What did you do to get communications with APEX Fusion restored on Friday?
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by masc2279 View Post
    Well you said you added a new EB8. Did you make sure as soon as you installed it to make sure all the Firmwares of the modules are in sync and up to date. I have seen many times people add a device to the apex and its an old Firmware which makes the whole system not act right. Check that first.

Screen Shot 2016-05-02 at 5.53.30 PM.jpg
    I am pretty sure all my firmware is up to date, but I will double check. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    You'll need to provide a lot more info before we can really help. Did you have a power outage? You don't actually say if you did or not. If not, why did you expect an email about one?

Post the email alarm programming please. (I would have done so in OG post, but since I did not have access to fusion, nor could I access the classic dashboard I was unable to do so)

Is your Apex system running on a UPS/battery backup? If not, you won't get notifications about power loss - you'll only get notification when power is restored. (Thank you for the feedback. I actually do have a battery backup that I got for xmas, and of coarse have not hooked it up)

What did you do to get communications with APEX Fusion restored on Friday?
    (I unplugged the internet connection, plugged it back in and it worked)

I read one of the stickies, and ended up using the display and rebooting the system and that actually worked.

Now, as I am sulking in my losses, I found out my sump is leaking. I am not sure I am cut out for this hobby. Thanks a ton for answering though!

Classic User
    Quote Originally Posted by acesfull44 View Post

Now, as I am sulking in my losses, I found out my sump is leaking. I am not sure I am cut out for this hobby. Thanks a ton for answering though!
    Chin up!
    We've all been whacked by fate. Many of us more than a few times. Don't let these small setbacks sour you on this fabulous hobby. You will find that once you get past these few problems, Apex will start to be clearer to you and you will be able to realize it's power and its value to you as an aquarist.

Most of the problems you will encounter with your Apex will be resolved by learning more and more about how properly to setup modules and to program the monitoring functions and the control functions you want to use.

There are a lot of us fellow users on this forum with wide ranging experience and knowledge. We help each other a lot. We are a positive bunch. We are very courteous, respectful and helpful to each other. So welcome to OUR forum. Join us and get on with enjoying your aquaria.

Got a problem? Post it.! Work with us and wefour'll work with you to get it resolved, to help you learn more and more about aquarium monitoring and control. Got a solution for one of our dilemmas? Post it and help someone.

Welcome aboard.
    fab

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by fab View Post
    Chin up!
    We've all been whacked by fate. Many of us more than a few times. Don't let these small setbacks sour you on this fabulous hobby. You will find that once you get past these few problems, Apex will start to be clearer to you and you will be able to realize it's power and its value to you as an aquarist.

Most of the problems you will encounter with your Apex will be resolved by learning more and more about how properly to setup modules and to program the monitoring functions and the control functions you want to use.

There are a lot of us fellow users on this forum with wide ranging experience and knowledge. We help each other a lot. We are a positive bunch. We are very courteous, respectful and helpful to each other. So welcome to OUR forum. Join us and get on with enjoying your aquaria.

Got a problem? Post it.! Work with us and wefour'll work with you to get it resolved, to help you learn more and more about aquarium monitoring and control. Got a solution for one of our dilemmas? Post it and help someone.

Welcome aboard.
    fab
    Thank you for the kind words of encouragement. I just feel awful for the fish most of all, which were doing well and happy! I have my LFS coming tonight to help me swap out my old 55g DIY sump for a 60x20x18 acrylic sump which will increase my water volume drastically, although that hasn't been my issue. I am mostly going to try and work on the back up power plans and hope I can start replacing some of my SPS, that are currently ghost white, sometime later this year. Thanks again.

Frequent Visitor
    If you are part of a local club I am sure that they will help you restock with frags from other members tanks. Maybe not free but s nice low price in things that are not exotic.

Frequent Visitor

Spent the last 6+ hours swapping out the sump so at least I got that fixed, along with a massive upgrade!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    Wow nice sump! Looks like you have some nice equipment installed in it. Sorry about your losses! One lesson learned from this accident is to never install new equipment on your system and then leave for a trip without making sure that it's working flawlessly before you leave. Although it's hard to say from my vantage point that the issue was caused by the equipment addition. I would strongly suggest the addition of a ups to you system. One that can cover the running of the most critical if not all of the equipment to keep the tank going in case of power loss.

Get a couple of Kill-A-Watt meters and attach them to whatever power strips you have that are connected to the tanks equipment. They can tell you how much juice you are using and then you can size the ups accordingly. It's hard to say that your initial issue was the root cause of the failure. It might have been a coincidence because of the difficulty getting it installed properly, and the root cause might have been a power outage. There is not enough information to trouble shoot.

You've probably spent a TON of money on this hobby already. I suggest that you consider getting a ups for your system. Depending on your requirements, they cost as little as $75 to $500.

Classic User
    Nicely done. Great plumbing job. How is that EB8 mounted? Looks interesting. Looks like you gained a stroke on this one and actually got ahead.
    fab

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by teddyboy View Post
    Wow nice sump! Looks like you have some nice equipment installed in it. Sorry about your losses! One lesson learned from this accident is to never install new equipment on your system and then leave for a trip without making sure that it's working flawlessly before you leave. Although it's hard to say from my vantage point that the issue was caused by the equipment addition. I would strongly suggest the addition of a ups to you system. One that can cover the running of the most critical if not all of the equipment to keep the tank going in case of power loss.

Get a couple of Kill-A-Watt meters and attach them to whatever power strips you have that are connected to the tanks equipment. They can tell you how much juice you are using and then you can size the ups accordingly. It's hard to say that your initial issue was the root cause of the failure. It might have been a coincidence because of the difficulty getting it installed properly, and the root cause might have been a power outage. There is not enough information to trouble shoot.

You've probably spent a TON of money on this hobby already. I suggest that you consider getting a ups for your system. Depending on your requirements, they cost as little as $75 to $500.
    This may be an unbelievably dumb question, but what is the ups you are referring to?

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by fab View Post
    Nicely done. Great plumbing job. How is that EB8 mounted? Looks interesting. Looks like you gained a stroke on this one and actually got ahead.
    fab
    The EB8's are simply mounted on a piece of plywood, however now that the new sump is installed, I am looking over my options to move the apex and all those goodies as far away from the sump as possible, and remounting everything, which will include a new battery backup system!

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by acesfull44 View Post
    This may be an unbelievably dumb question, but what is the ups you are referring to?

haha I think you already answered it yourself. Battery Backup aka Uninteruptible Power Supply aka U.P.S

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by teddyboy View Post
    haha I think you already answered it yourself. Battery Backup aka Uninteruptible Power Supply aka U.P.S
    Ahhhh..Thank you grasshoppa!

Frequent Visitor
    Keep in mind, to have a gfci incorporated with your UPS as well. If your power is off because of an electrical fault, you don't want your UPS powering up a faulted system, which may be a shock hazzard. Make sure your power failure alarms are working.
    My 2 cents
    Nice plumbing job!

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk