Thread: AC JR - Looking at upgrading head unit to Apex

New User

AC JR - Looking at upgrading head unit to Apex

So I did sort of search around the site for this info, but it seems like there are quite a few knowledgeable guys on here who don't mind helping out.

I've been running an ACJR for a long, long time (bought in 2005).

It's been great but man have their ever been some fancy bells and whistles added since.

I recently received a Reefkeepr lite, with the idea that a much newer unit would be an upgrade...but I really don't like it's functionality.

So now, having sold it, I was considering upgrading to an Apex lite but then i came across this site and I see I can possibly still use my DC8 and temp/ph probes with an apex...

Can someone please explain what I would need to do, aside from buying the apex head unit, to be able to use the apex to it's full potential?

Or point me to a thread where this has already been covered?

Also, since my ACJR was served me so well, I'd be interested to know if I could just keep running ol' green screen and still be able to do things like control pumps and leds...

Thanks in advance.

Frequent Visitor
    I recently upgraded from an ACJR to the apex. I probably would have stayed with the Jr if I could have gotten more DC8 units as I needed more control. But they are not easy to find!

i am extremely happy with my upgrade. Fusion and the remote control capability is awesome!

I am using 2 DC8 units that I had plus I went hog wild and have 5 EB8 units and PM2 modules that control 5 different systems.

You can't use an Apex with just a DC8. You need an EnergyBar 8 or EnergyBar 4 as well because an EnergyBar is required to provide power to the Apex base unit.

The Apex Lite was discontinued quite a while ago.

My suggestion would be to get a full Apex system which includes an EB8, and add on the DC8 for more outlets
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    You can't use an Apex with just a DC8. You need an EnergyBar 8 or EnergyBar 4 as well because an EnergyBar is required to provide power to the Apex base unit.

The Apex Lite was discontinued quite a while ago.

My suggestion would be to get a full Apex system which includes an EB8, and add on the DC8 for more outlets
    so the dc8 will not power the control module of the apex lite? would you have to have an extra power supply?

AC JR - Looking at upgrading head unit to Apex

You quoted the answer to your first question.

You could use a 12v adapter to power the Apex base, but you lose some functionality by not having an EnergyBar. I do not recommend this approach.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.