Thread: DOS not able to pump from basement

New User

DOS not able to pump from basement

Trying to set up my dos for an AWC. The pump taking the water out of the tank into the drain (~2 feet of head pressure) is working fine. The other pump which is pumping new salt water from the basement (25' horizontal, 12' Vertical) is not working out. When i run the pump, its not lifting any water from the basement. Using a mouth siphon, I got the water all the way to the dos, clamped the tube, attached the tube to the DOS, removed the clamp, and to my surprise, the water level stayed where it was in the tube. The DOS was holding the prime just fine. Then I turned the pump on and watched the water pulse the wrong way back downstairs. I am using the official DOS tubing and it's one continuous run from the bottom of my mixing container to my DOS inlet. There's no way air is getting in there. I was able to calibrate the DOS upstairs, so I know the pump is working.

Anyone have any ideas?

tl;dr My DOS won't pull water from my basement even though it's one run of tubing and less than 24' of head pressure.

Frequent Visitor
    If the water is going backwards is there a chance you reversed the tubes at the pump?

New User
    This is surely not the case. The water flows in the correct direction for about 9/10 of a turn, then on the last 1/10 it acts as though neither roller is pinching the tube and the water it pumped the correct direction all goes the opposite direction. Because it's pulling the water all the way from the basement, it creates such a high head pressure that when that seal is broken for the last 1/10 of a rotation, the water travels VERY quickly back down into the basement.

Agreed I have witness this first hand.
    Having a successful Reef is as close to being GOD as it gets, and my APEX makes that easier !!!!

New User
    This scares the #&@* out of me. If I have one head pulling OSW out of my tank, and the other losing it's siphon and unable to pump NSW in, the ATO is going to kick in and replace it with fresh water. I know I can shut it off if my salinity drops too low, but my goodness. This was a major selling point for me and now I don't think I'll ever trust it.

Frequent Contributor iamchadster's Avatar
    Found these tonight when I was looking for something else. Don't know if they might help but it's an idea.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/ozone-...eck-valve.html
    Chad

New User
    Following. Was looking to purchase a DOS in the near future for the exact same setup.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tjiddy View Post
    This scares the #&@* out of me. If I have one head pulling OSW out of my tank, and the other losing it's siphon and unable to pump NSW in, the ATO is going to kick in and replace it with fresh water. I know I can shut it off if my salinity drops too low, but my goodness. This was a major selling point for me and now I don't think I'll ever trust it.
    Have you installed a check valve ? In addition you may have bad tubing installed.
    Having a successful Reef is as close to being GOD as it gets, and my APEX makes that easier !!!!

A check valve is not the right solution. The DOS pump head should not allow seepage back through the tubing. Contact tech support - you may have a defective pump head.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Regular Vistor
    I'm seriously debating on getting one for this exact purpose. Any update on this? I have a chance to get a brand new unit for $200, just not sure if I need it.

New User
    try go to modify Interval- Action on the old pump that take new saltwater, change REMOVE to ADD

Regular Vistor

Same problem

Mine mine is similar with 9 foot vertical 25 horizontal. Won't pull for a water change. Thought it was my check valve letting air in but I have 2 on the other side and it works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by tjiddy View Post
    Trying to set up my dos for an AWC. The pump taking the water out of the tank into the drain (~2 feet of head pressure) is working fine. The other pump which is pumping new salt water from the basement (25' horizontal, 12' Vertical) is not working out. When i run the pump, its not lifting any water from the basement. Using a mouth siphon, I got the water all the way to the dos, clamped the tube, attached the tube to the DOS, removed the clamp, and to my surprise, the water level stayed where it was in the tube. The DOS was holding the prime just fine. Then I turned the pump on and watched the water pulse the wrong way back downstairs. I am using the official DOS tubing and it's one continuous run from the bottom of my mixing container to my DOS inlet. There's no way air is getting in there. I was able to calibrate the DOS upstairs, so I know the pump is working.

Anyone have any ideas?

tl;dr My DOS won't pull water from my basement even though it's one run of tubing and less than 24' of head pressure.

New User
    I know this is rather old, but thought I'd chime in. I use my DOS for continual water changes and it works great. I have Brute cans in my basement and it pulls fines. I have used it this way for about 18 months. If for some reason I loose prime (empty salt water container) It does take a good while to get it to prime again. Other then that it works great.

Moved on...
    I would switch your tubes to the other head and try it on there to see if there is a issue with the head. If not then I would remove the tubes and plug one end and blow in the other end and see if the pressure leaks off and then you would know there is a leak in the tube some where. these 2 steps will break all the working parts into there on parts and testing them on their on to fine which one that is the issue.