Thread: EB8 outlets to use with Drews Dosers and AquaLifter

Regular Vistor

EB8 outlets to use with Drews Dosers and AquaLifter

I have one EB8 that I need to plug in two Drews Dosers for two part dosing and an Aqua Lifter for ATO. I know small loads may not turn off when plugged into the solid state outlets.

My question is, which devices should I plug into the relay outlets (4/8) and which to solid state outlets (1-3, 5-7), so that they work reliably?

ATO is every 30 min to top off and dosing is a couple of min per hour for a couple hours (nighttime for alk, morning for calcium)

I believe it would be worse if the alk and calcium dont turn off than the ATO.

Frequent Contributor iamchadster's Avatar
    Low power draw items like aqualifters and small pumps should be plugged into the the relay outlets (4/8). I have two koralia pumps that I have not come on or shut off correctly when plugged into the triacs 1-3, 5-7 so I moved them to the relay outlets.

You should either get another eb8/eb4/DOS/or a brand new apex to do what you want to do. I wouldn't feel good about the dosing pumps or the ATO pump on a triac.
    Chad

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by iamchadster View Post
    Low power draw items like aqualifters and small pumps should be plugged into the the relay outlets (4/8). I have two koralia pumps that I have not come on or shut off correctly when plugged into the triacs 1-3, 5-7 so I moved them to the relay outlets.

You should either get another eb8/eb4/DOS/or a brand new apex to do what you want to do. I wouldn't feel good about the dosing pumps or the ATO pump on a triac.
    Is it still possible to add a second load onto the triac outlets to get the outlet to turn on/off correctly? I have "Y" power connectors where i can plug two things into one outlet. Would a nightlight and an Aqua Lifter be enough load for the triac outlet?

At least that way I would see when the ATO is one...other than the Apex display/dashboard/sound of water trickling in sump.

Additional question - are float switches connected to IO breakout box still the best way to go for Apex controlled ATO? All the new All in one ATOs now have optical sensors. Is there an optical sensor that can hook to breakout box I/O?

Frequent Contributor iamchadster's Avatar
    I know that people do what you are describing but look at it this way. What is your tank and it's inhabitants worth? What is the cost of an additional eb8/eb4 compared to that ATO not turning off and possibly sinking your PPT? Yes the apex would likely see that drop and let you know, but I just believe that if you are investing in this controller to do what it can do then why cut a corner such as hoping the additional power load may or may not turn that Triac off/on correctly.

There are also optical sensors that I have seen in the DIY section and IIRC Neptune had something in the works but I use float switches and a breakout box. In addition the other inputs on the breakout box can be used for a lot of cool things such as sumplight switches, door alarms on your stand, push-button type switches to activate light profiles etc....
    Chad

Regular Vistor
    yes, your current only feasible solution is to add more power draw to the biggest power draw you have and put it on a triac, most likely the aqualifter. As said, the better solutions involve adding a EB4 or another EB8 or upgrading to the new Apex with the EB8-32.

Bite the bullet and buy another EB8. I would not risk trying to artificially increase the load on the outlet by adding a lamp or other current draw. Start by putting on of the doser's and your aqualifter on first and then when you get an additional power bar add the second dosing pump.