Thread: Controlling calcium reactor solenoid

New User

Controlling calcium reactor solenoid

Hi guys. I've been running my Apex for a couple of weeks and really like the dashboard and control I have using it. Most options seem straight forward enough but I'm having trouble with my solenoid control.

I need the Apex to power the solenoid during the day only so I've been using:

Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If pH > 6.65 Then ON
    If pH < 6.45 Then OFF
    If Time 19:00 to 08:00 Then OFF

That seems to keep the solenoid running 24/7 but does control the ph fine. I've just noted another code on the forum though:

Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If pH > 6.45 Then ON
    If Time 20:00 to 06:00 Then OFF

My guess is my previous code had too many on and off commands, my main question though.

If I use the newer code, is there a way to also include a trigger from my pH2 probe that would also turn off if the second probe shows too low?

I tried it but I just get an error relating the pH2 - I have this working on the dash though.

Thanks

Frequent Contributor iamchadster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bunglehaze View Post
    Hi guys. I've been running my Apex for a couple of weeks and really like the dashboard and control I have using it. Most options seem straight forward enough but I'm having trouble with my solenoid control.

I need the Apex to power the solenoid during the day only so I've been using:

Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If pH > 6.65 Then ON
    If pH < 6.45 Then OFF
    If Time 19:00 to 08:00 Then OFF

That seems to keep the solenoid running 24/7 but does control the ph fine. I've just noted another code on the forum though:

Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If pH > 6.45 Then ON
    If Time 20:00 to 06:00 Then OFF

My guess is my previous code had too many on and off commands, my main question though.

If I use the newer code, is there a way to also include a trigger from my pH2 probe that would also turn off if the second probe shows too low?

I tried it but I just get an error relating the pH2 - I have this working on the dash though.

Thanks
    "That seems to keep the solenoid running 24/7 but does control the ph fine. I've just noted another code on the forum though" I'm not sure I understand what you mean exactly by this statement.

The code you have states that normally the solenoid is OFF unless something below the "Set Off" statement in your programming turns it on. The apex evaluates code from top to bottom and operates based on the last true statement with a couple exceptions such as min time and defer commands. Omitting the 4th line of your code wouldn't change anything as it will shut off once the pH drops below your 6.65 reading or the time is between the values you've stated.

As far as your "new" code is concerned, it will work fine as long as you want the solenoid off unless the pH exceeds 6.45 and the time is outside of the values you have told it to be off. You can add another pH probe if you like and tell the apex to do whatever you like. Just keep in mind that if that additional probe's code is placed below the primary pH's code then it will be evaluated lastly and executed based on whatever you put in. The advantage of using a 2nd probe is for redundancy if the 1st pH probe fails.

A side note, it isn't good to use things like "pH" or "Temp" as probe names. Use pH_Tank, or Temp_Sump for example as I have seen issues come up with using the shorter names.
    Chad