Thread: Weird beeps from Radion connected to WXM

Frequent Visitor

Weird beeps from Radion connected to WXM

I recently reattached my Radions back to my WXM to contol the lights. I am getting occasionally a bunch of 'beeps' from one of my Radions. Sometimes if the lights are on when the beeps happen the light will go off and back on again. If the lights are off I will just here a string of beeps (beep beep beep)

I didn't have this behavior when using ESL. Any ideas?

Frequent Visitor
    I am experiencing the same issue. It started maybe a couple weeks ago, and is getting worse. My radions will beep and then change intensities or turn off and back on. I came home this morning and they were changing intensities left and right. I restarted the controller and the sunrise profile began once again. It seemed solid for a bit and then the intensity brightened. I am running firmware 4.40_8F15 and I have 3 Radions. Two are upgraded Gen 3's and one is a Gen 1. Sometime one will act strange and sometimes they will act strange together.
    [EastRadion]
    Fallback Evening10K
    Set OFF
    If Sun 000/-360 Then Sunrise
    If Sun 360/030 Then Sunset
    If Sun 240/-040 Then MidDay12K
    If FeedC 000 Then Clouds
    If FeedD 000 Then Storm

This is the programming on one of the lights to get an idea of what they are set to do. Anyone have an idea of why my lights are behaving strangely all of a sudden?

Frequent Visitor
    I posted a video of what my Radions are doing.
    https://youtu.be/c7UoMaNEZOs

New User
    Hi
    I had the same thing. In my case it was due to the Buttons on the Radions. Gen 1 and 2 are touch buttons and are too sensitive. Attach a laptop with a USB cable and use the Ecotech software to disable the buttons. Since I did this everything has been OK with mine.
    Ian

Frequent Contributor iamchadster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Hi
    I had the same thing. In my case it was due to the Buttons on the Radions. Gen 1 and 2 are touch buttons and are too sensitive. Attach a laptop with a USB cable and use the Ecotech software to disable the buttons. Since I did this everything has been OK with mine.
    Ian
    That was my initial thought exactly. In fact if you just touch the buttons on the radions the beeps you hear should sound similar to what you hear when the lights are misbehaving. Try what Ian has said. You will just use the right click on the ESL connection manager and make sure that you disable the buttons.
    A major improvement to the Gen 3's over the 1's/2's was changing the buttons because of issues like this.
    Chad

having the same issue with my GEN2 Radions, I will try disabling the buttons and see how it goes.
    Rocking 2 Apex units, life is less stress with Apex!

Frequent Visitor
    I disabled the buttons and it did not fix the problem. I have since switch back to ESL which I hate. To say I paid so much for these lights, they have the worse interface out of all my aquarium equipment. It is a shot in the dark if the Radions will connect with ESL. It has been years since they debuted and Ecotech has not fixed the issue. I was considering buying a reeflink, but customer reviews show that it is still just as buggy as connecting with USB.

Frequent Visitor
    I can see this as I have G2's upgraded to G3's. Ill try and report in a few days.

Regular Vistor
    Bringing back this old thread. My old Gen 2's have been doing this for a while. Have the buttons disabled. One of the Radions does it pretty regularly. The other 2 do it occasionally. Sometimes they all do it at the same time. 9 times out of 10 it is just the one that does it.

I'm not sure if it is a radion firmware issue or something else. Firmware for the apex and the wxm is updated. It is super annoying at this point though. If it was super simple to update the radion firmware I would try that. Sounds difficult to update the radions though?

Regular Vistor
    I have the same thing happening to me. In the past, when I connected through USB, it seemed that I had to unpair from the WXM. Then when I entered ESL, I disabled the buttons. But then when reconnecting to WXM, all the ESL settings were erased. If someone can walk me through how to disconnect from WXM, connect to ESL through a USB cable and then reconnect to the WXM without losing the button off settings, I'd greatly appreciate it.

New User
    use ESL while hard wired to the radions individually, while in ESL go to devices and select the Radion connected with the usb, select settings gear icon, select disable buttons. Do this for each light and your buttons will be disabled and stop beeping and changing. You’ll know if it works by touching the buttons, if they beep u did it wrong.