Thread: Best way to have sounds through silent mode for apex only?

Frequent Visitor

Best way to have sounds through silent mode for apex only?

I want to know when apex alerts happen but I receive so many emails hourly I don't want all emails/texts to make noise. What is the best way to do this?

Frequent Contributor iamchadster's Avatar
    Turn down your phone or put it on vibrate.

I guess I would be curious why you are receiving so many first of all. There are many ways to reduce the email frequency such as defers, (which Russ loves to do in his email alerts, JK), re-email delays that you can set and you can create virtual outlets that reference certain things that set off the alarms and put specific delays on those.

For example, I get an email when my skimmer cup is full. I really don't want an email all day at work every 15 min or so that tells me that my skimmer cup is full. So you could set up a virtual outlet that turns on when the skimmer cup is full and reference this virtual outlet in your email program. Then have another virtual outlet that acts like a kill switch to the outlet that turned on when the cup filled up. This would then shut off the primary outlet that is causing the email.

I don't know if those are of any use based on your question.
    Chad

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by iamchadster View Post
    Turn down your phone or put it on vibrate.

I guess I would be curious why you are receiving so many first of all. There are many ways to reduce the email frequency such as defers, (which Russ loves to do in his email alerts, JK), re-email delays that you can set and you can create virtual outlets that reference certain things that set off the alarms and put specific delays on those.

For example, I get an email when my skimmer cup is full. I really don't want an email all day at work every 15 min or so that tells me that my skimmer cup is full. So you could set up a virtual outlet that turns on when the skimmer cup is full and reference this virtual outlet in your email program. Then have another virtual outlet that acts like a kill switch to the outlet that turned on when the cup filled up. This would then shut off the primary outlet that is causing the email.

I don't know if those are of any use based on your question.
    Sorry sometimes I'm hasty with my questions. The issue is not that I receive too many APEX emails, just emails in general. Have work emails personal emails (several accounts) and my apex email account all synced to the same phone. Heres the issue. All the other emails can be ignored on the weekend or after hours which I normally just put my phone on vibrate and that solves me having to hear the dinging of emails all night and all weekend. What I'd like is for the APEX alarm emails to make noise even when my phone is on silent. Basically I want to be able to add apex to a "whitelist" to make sound EVEN when I have silent on. Make sense? is there a simple way to do this? i thought if I installed the seperate app for that email (gmail for example) that I would have a bit more control but it still doesnt seem to have a way to make noise through silent mode.

You have android or apple?
    Chad

Classic User
    This is a phone control issue, not a source email issue. The solution, if one exists, will differ by type of phone.

I use a LG G3 android. I have looked through the entire menu for a solution to the problem you describe. I found none. I went to ATT store. No help there, either. My wife's android does not have the same menu and I did not look through her's throughly, but I did not find anything helpful where I did look.

It is probably total different kettle of fish when it comes to iPhones.

Frequent Visitor
    Exactly and yes it's iPhone 6 running latest iOS version.

make the email/text a contact in your iphone, then select whatever notification you would like in the contact information screen.
    Chad

Frequent Visitor
    make the email/text a contact in your iphone, then select whatever notification you would like in the contact information screen.
    This sounds possible for the email ones, however it appears as if the text alerts come from a different number every time... Is this true?

Frequent Visitor
    Ok so I tried adding the email the alarms come from to a contact and manually set a sound for the text/email alert tone and it still only vibrated.

Quote Originally Posted by PAXpress View Post
    Ok so I tried adding the email the alarms come from to a contact and manually set a sound for the text/email alert tone and it still only vibrated.
    So is that when your switch is on silent? There's nothing you can do about that I don't think. I've only had an iphone for about a month or so I could be wrong.
    Chad

Frequent Visitor
    So is that when your switch is on silent? There's nothing you can do about that I don't think. I've only had an iphone for about a month or so I could be wrong.
    Yes that is. I was thinking as a pita solution i could go through set EVERYTHING to not make noise EXCEPT these alarms and keep my phone on normal mode(switch not set to silent) just alot of things make noise and it would take a ton of time to go through an silent everything.

Quote Originally Posted by PAXpress View Post
    Yes that is. I was thinking as a pita solution i could go through set EVERYTHING to not make noise EXCEPT these alarms and keep my phone on normal mode(switch not set to silent) just alot of things make noise and it would take a ton of time to go through an silent everything.
    You are just too popular I guess with all of your electronic traffic. I have done what you describe and have gone through and set tones for the most common of my contacts. For example, the Apex is an annoying alarm clock sound. My wife's number is an air raid siren. etc...
    Chad

Frequent Visitor
    But so what you're saying is you don't use silent but you have specific tones for everyone. I just hate to have to do all that wish I could just tell gmail to ignore silent mode oh wells if anyone thinks of a solution let me know. And I work in IT so I get an email alert almost every few minutes sometimes a flurry of alerts. More important than all though is my sleep

Frequent Visitor
    I too ran into this exact same issue. Seems that Neptune Systems has not figured out how important this is to any of us iPhone users. I'm on ATT and have a mess anytime fusion texts me AND it is impossible to set a custom ring tone for the imbound texts from Fusion.

I contacted tech support and received a quick snippy response blaming my carrier. Well fact is there are two parties involved: fusion AND the carrier. Seems Fusion has chosen to use an overly simplistic relay connection to my carrier (att) which causes the carrier to show each text to come in from a different number. I have seen exactly this issue twice before with my day job and both came to how the sender was interacting with carrier.

The workaround I am currently using is this: set fusion to only email my private gmail address, in gmail settings setup a forwarding address of ###-###-####@mms.att.net (or whatever is correct for your mobile text address cell), and in gmail set a filter that forwards a copy of the message to my mobile text email address).

Now each text will come from the same sender (your gmail address) and so you can set a custom text tone.

Sure woukd be be nice if Neptune could sort out their issue with how they have their gateway interchange setup especially considering their entry price point.

Interested to hear if others have this same "lack of text message threading" issues on other carriers besides ATT.