Thread: Energy Bar and Tank Fan?

Regular Vistor

Energy Bar and Tank Fan?

Is this hooked up right? Right now nothing with my Apex is on but my lights. Here's my power consumption:

But when I turn my tank fan on, it makes a weird buzzing noise then eventually fails. My controller display will also flicker. Anyone see this issue before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by malx View Post
    Is this hooked up right? Right now nothing with my Apex is on but my lights. Here's my power consumption:

But when I turn my tank fan on, it makes a weird buzzing noise then eventually fails. My controller display will also flicker. Anyone see this issue before?

Have you tried using a relay outlet 4 or 8?

Regular Vistor
    Yes, works on the outlets not on the aqua bus. All good here

Frequent Contributor iamchadster's Avatar
    So are you up and running now?
    Chad

Classic User
    Quote Originally Posted by malx View Post
    Yes, works on the outlets not on the aqua bus. All good here
    1. What do you mean by this? Do you mean that it works on the energy bar outlets 4 and 8 or it works on some other outlets?

2. And what do you mean by "not on the aquabus"?

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by fab View Post
    1. What do you mean by this? Do you mean that it works on the energy bar outlets 4 and 8 or it works on some other outlets?

2. And what do you mean by "not on the aquabus"?
    It works on any outlet on the EB8 and not in the aqua bus ports.. The 12v USB ports basically

Frequent Visitor
    Though the aquabus ports use USB connectors the aquabus is NOT USB. It uses different voltages than USB. If a USB device is plugged in it can damage the USB device or the auqabus.

Classic User
    Be careful. The Aquabus is not a Universal Serial Bus (USB) at all. @p7willm is absolutely right. Never connect a USB device and the Aquabus.

Confusion sometimes arises because the Aquabus uses connectors that are USB connectors. But electrically, the Aquabus uses different voltages from a USB. If you do connect a USB device to an Aquabus you will probably fry something. Undoubtedly it will turn out to be the most expensive device on the Aquabus, possibly your Apex unit and the device you connected.

You may use male-male USB cables to connect a device to the Aquabus, but only if the device was designed to be used on the Aquabus by Neptune Systens.

Furthermore, you must not use any repeaters with any Aquabus cabling.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by fab View Post
    Be careful. The Aquabus is not a Universal Serial Bus (USB) at all. @p7willm is absolutely right. Never connect a USB device and the Aquabus.

Confusion sometimes arises because the Aquabus uses connectors that are USB connectors. But electrically, the Aquabus uses different voltages from a USB. If you do connect a USB device to an Aquabus you will probably fry something. Undoubtedly it will turn out to be the most expensive device on the Aquabus, possibly your Apex unit and the device you connected.

You may use male-male USB cables to connect a device to the Aquabus, but only if the device was designed to be used on the Aquabus by Neptune Systens.

Furthermore, you must not use any repeaters with any Aquabus cabling.
    Yes I'm aware. BRS told me the fan worked on the AquaBus port. AquaBus is 12v. 12v USB devices will work but this fan is only 5

Frequent Visitor
    What fan did BRS tell you would work on aquabus?

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by p7willm View Post
    What fan did BRS tell you would work on aquabus?
    Tunze Aquawind

Frequent Visitor
    Neptune says in multiple places that nothing other than Neptune modules should be plugged into the aquabus so I would be very careful going against what the manufacturer of the hundreds of dollars of computer equipment says about plugging stuff into their proprietary interconnect.

Also, the aquabus is 12 volts, I think, and the tunze aquawind says it's power supply is 5 volts. It is never a good thing to plug stuff into something that supplies a higher voltage, in this case over 2 times, than it was designed for.

You could plug the aquawind power brick into the PB8 and have the Apex turn it off and on based on the temperature.

Neptune says do not plug it in their aquabus and BRS says plug it in. I would contact BRS.

Classic User
    Once again @p7willm is spot-on with a very important point.

Reiterating from my own post #8 above:
    I will modify that to include devices that Neptune Systems has approved for use on the aquabus. In such cases, I would check with Neptune Systems to confirm their approval of compatibility, independently of a seller.

Perhaps you should contact BRS and speak to the owner. Clarify with him what his staff told you. The odds are there was a miscommunication. BRS knows Apex quite well. If there was not a miscommunication then BRS will certainly want to make sure its staff gives correct advice. BRS is a good, reputable company.