Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pH probe reading low ???

Frequent Visitor

pH probe reading low ???

my new ph probe is reading 7.91

while my seneye is reading 8.12

hagen ph hest kit 8.3
    api test kit reads 8.2

I have calibrated it with pinpoint 10, 7 calibration fluid,, twice ...

any suggestions ?

Frequent Visitor
    just a note,,, out of the box the apex probe was reading pretty darn close to the seneye ph reading..
    I'm pretty sure it's when my APEX lost it's mind (dropped all probes and I had to factory reset). that the apex ph Probe starting to read low..

I did verify the probe with the calibration fluids after calibration,,, 10 was bang on 7 was 6.99

still reads low in tank against seneye and cosnumer fluid test kits.

Frequent Visitor
    Man, i just had out of the box problems with my unit not reading temp right...havent even set the other probes, but based on your experience here, im starting to worry im going to have the same problems down the line.

Frequent Visitor
    I'm sure they'll figure out something,, they have been pretty good with past issues of mine.

Frequent Visitor
    I am very happy with Neptune, regardless of this issue. I know they will figure something. I had this issue with mine today, and after sending the email to support, ive been contacted twice and today is Sunday....cant be any better than that.

Frequent Contributor iamchadster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kengeroo View Post
    just a note,,, out of the box the apex probe was reading pretty darn close to the seneye ph reading..
    I'm pretty sure it's when my APEX lost it's mind (dropped all probes and I had to factory reset). that the apex ph Probe starting to read low..

I did verify the probe with the calibration fluids after calibration,,, 10 was bang on 7 was 6.99

still reads low in tank against seneye and cosnumer fluid test kits.
    So why not trust the probe?
    Chad

Frequent Visitor
    cuz.. when it's a vote between 4 judges.. and the apex probe is the one that's way out ....

Classic User
    Odd man out!

Frequent Contributor iamchadster's Avatar
    cuz.. when it's a vote between 4 judges.. and the apex probe is the one that's way out ....
    Yes, but you don't have a calibration for the test solutions to compare. I am not sure how you calibrate the seneye. I mean if you place the probe back into the solutions and they are spot on then that would tell me that the probe is pretty good too. Also, I know that we want to be exact in all of our measurements. There have been very successful tanks for years before me and I'm sure several others on here that never had fancy electronics to tell us pH levels. We all used solutions that were pink or purple or a shade of red or blue etc. How exact were we back then.

IMO if you have it dialed in as close as you appear to have with your pH probe then I would go with it. I think the point really will be consistency in you system. I think that the critters can handle a slight difference in pH vs big swings. Go with the Apex probe, I have faith it'll be fine.
    Chad

Classic User
    I would trust one competent judge over three not so competent judges any day. Odd man out is for equally competent "judges." Test kits do not have the resolution of good probes.

A well calibrated pH probe will both be more accurate and have a higher resolving abilility than a test kit.

New User
    I'm having the same issue: Calibration fluids read 10.00 and 6.99. Tank pH is 7.75 and Seneye reads 7.92. Red Sea and Salifert pH kits show pH 8-8.15

Frequent Visitor
    buying a third ph probe tommorow...
    hopefully it matches up with the apex or seneye..

whoever doesn't match has some splaining to do !!!

Quote Originally Posted by glmiller3 View Post
    I'm having the same issue: Calibration fluids read 10.00 and 6.99. Tank pH is 7.75 and Seneye reads 7.92. Red Sea and Salifert pH kits show pH 8-8.15

New User
    buying a third ph probe tommorow...
    hopefully it matches up with the apex or seneye..

whoever doesn't match has some splaining to do !!!
    My probe is brand new with a new Apex system that I got today to replace a system that I got two months ago ( found someone to buy the "old" one so I can upgrade)...the previous probe gave similar readings- I was hoping that the "superduper duplex junction probe" would be different but no. I just changed the alarm parameters and look for stability and quit stressing about the exact value.

Frequent Visitor

yes that's what everyone is saying,,, if it's in the ballpark relax..

my real issue is that on day one the apex and the seneye were with .02 of each other.. I was very happy,,
    then the apex lost it's mind and could not see any of the inputs..
    I had to factory reset the thing,,, and now they are out by 0.3,, I have the tri the seneye to -0.3 to closely match the apex..

I have calibrated the apex probe (3 times)...

Quote Originally Posted by glmiller3 View Post
    My probe is brand new with a new Apex system that I got today to replace a system that I got two months ago ( found someone to buy the "old" one so I can upgrade)...the previous probe gave similar readings- I was hoping that the "superduper duplex junction probe" would be different but no. I just changed the alarm parameters and look for stability and quit stressing about the exact value.

New User
    Ive been having what seems like the same issue. Was there ever any closure on this? New Apex. It matched my Seneye quite closely out of the box. After I calibrated the Apex ph probe the readings have been low (7.7 during the day and 7.6 at night) and usually off by about 0.2. I have a pinpoint monitor and it agreed with the Seneye (7.9 day/7.8 night). I ended up going through calibration on all the devices several times. Tried different calibration solutions. Also replaced the pH probe on the pinpoint with a new one. All of this made no difference as the Apex readings are 0.2 lower still.

Took a water sample to the LFS and they tested the water with both a Pinpoint monitor and an Apex Classic pH probe. Their readings were close to my Pinpoint monitor and Seneye.

Spoke with Apex support and they stood by that the Apex pH probe is correct and all the others are wrong. So left wondering what my pH really is?

Frequent Visitor
    I have relied on the apex pH probe and calibrated my seneye to match it (as best as it can do)...

Quote Originally Posted by Jmiotke View Post
    Ive been having what seems like the same issue. Was there ever any closure on this? New Apex. It matched my Seneye quite closely out of the box. After I calibrated the Apex ph probe the readings have been low (7.7 during the day and 7.6 at night) and usually off by about 0.2. I have a pinpoint monitor and it agreed with the Seneye (7.9 day/7.8 night). I ended up going through calibration on all the devices several times. Tried different calibration solutions. Also replaced the pH probe on the pinpoint with a new one. All of this made no difference as the Apex readings are 0.2 lower still.

Took a water sample to the LFS and they tested the water with both a Pinpoint monitor and an Apex Classic pH probe. Their readings were close to my Pinpoint monitor and Seneye.

Spoke with Apex support and they stood by that the Apex pH probe is correct and all the others are wrong. So left wondering what my pH really is?

New User
    I was going to start a post with the same issue. My apex probe seems to be reading low as well. I have a lab grade photometer, a separate ph photometer, and other liquid ph tests and the apex is .3 low compared to all of them

I am thinking about purchasing the new unit to replace my existing apex but the issues being outlined in the forums have me a bit concerned. I depend heavily on proper balance within the tank and like others measure it with multiple devices for accuracy, pinpoint, Hanna, and Red Sea test kits. I have done a lot of work to keep the salinity, ph within .1 swing and are concerned with all the post where people are seeing issues.

I would like to think if I replace the unit with a new unit and place the probes in the same location they would operate the same way. Have people done this and yeilded the same results or is it a hit and miss?

I was planning on running them side by side to see the results, did others do this and did they experience issues with different readings.

I understand new hardware and software is going to have issues, but since many of us rely on those probes accurately measuring tank parameters are others concerned about this?

Frequent Visitor
    pull the trigger,, it's a good system,,, liek you said ,, in the beginning there are going to be issues....
    I wouldn't rely on anything but a refractometer for my salinity,,

As far as the pH,, I have accepted the apex as gospel,,, been running it for about 6 months,, calibrated it yesterday,, it was high by .02,,, quite acceptable...

as far as connectivity issues you may have heard,,, that's completley up in the air,, who knows what kind of internet connections folks have ,, wifi ???

My system is running very well and I am quite happy with it..

New User
    Just to add my 2 cents — I just replaced my probe (original, ~4 yrs old) with a new double-junction lab grade one. Calibrated it a few times, with repeatable readings of 7 and 10 in the calibration fluid. (I spent a long time in a lab in grad school, and I know how to calibrate a pH probe…) It reads 7.8 in the tank, with a typical 24hr swing. LFS guy here today with his handheld meter gets 8.1, and tells me out 4 of his local customers with Apex systems, all 4 read .2 to .3 low. My previous probe always read low too, and I spent months in the past trying to get the pH up. Came here to see if there was indeed any similar experience, and turns the answer seems like "yes". I think I'll get a pinpoint to cross-check, but while I love Apex, this is disappointing…

Update: I've been using pinpoint single-use calibration fluid packets, and just read in an old thread elsewhere that those had been off by 0.3, so off to Amazon for a different brand and I guess I'll report back…

Frequent Visitor
    Having the exact same issues, and it is quite frustrating to see the PH lower than ideal on the Apex while Seneye shows it to be within ideal range.
    I wish there was a PH offset adjustment feature on the Apex like the Seneye. I would have just increased the damn thing ny 0.3 and everything would be good !
    I will not reduce my Seneye reading though, since it has been confirmed by at least 3 other test methods.

Maybe we should ask for this feature if Apex is not willing to admit the reading is off?

Quote Originally Posted by rizorido View Post
    Having the exact same issues, and it is quite frustrating to see the PH lower than ideal on the Apex while Seneye shows it to be within ideal range.
    I wish there was a PH offset adjustment feature on the Apex like the Seneye. I would have just increased the damn thing ny 0.3 and everything would be good !
    I will not reduce my Seneye reading though, since it has been confirmed by at least 3 other test methods.

Maybe we should ask for this feature if Apex is not willing to admit the reading is off?
    Couldn't agree more!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    I have contacted Apex and they took the suggestion to their development team.

Regular Vistor
    I had the same issue. EXACTLY 0.3 off! However, I calibrated twice, two different pairs of cal. packets. The first time nothing. The second try worked but I had updated to the Beta version (4.5) and it calibrated correctly. The only way I know it is somewhat accurate is that I double checked with an API pH test. I don't remember seeing anything in the FW upgrade notes regarding pH readings, so I could have been something as simple as refreshing the firmware period. Any thoughts everyone?

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by jrpayne View Post
    Just to add my 2 cents — I just replaced my probe (original, ~4 yrs old) with a new double-junction lab grade one. Calibrated it a few times, with repeatable readings of 7 and 10 in the calibration fluid. (I spent a long time in a lab in grad school, and I know how to calibrate a pH probe…) It reads 7.8 in the tank, with a typical 24hr swing. LFS guy here today with his handheld meter gets 8.1, and tells me out 4 of his local customers with Apex systems, all 4 read .2 to .3 low. My previous probe always read low too, and I spent months in the past trying to get the pH up. Came here to see if there was indeed any similar experience, and turns the answer seems like "yes". I think I'll get a pinpoint to cross-check, but while I love Apex, this is disappointing…

Update: I've been using pinpoint single-use calibration fluid packets, and just read in an old thread elsewhere that those had been off by 0.3, so off to Amazon for a different brand and I guess I'll report back…
    Update: recalibrated with Atlas Scientific fluids, and the exact same pH. Still about .3 lower than I suspect it really is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast