Thread: WAV - Cleaning & Durability

Frequent Visitor

WAV - Cleaning & Durability

Guys,

I'm sure I have too much flow on my mixed reef, but, I hate bottom maintenance. So on a 150 I have a Gyre 150 and two WAVs. Prior to WAVs (Purchased 4-13-16, Installed somewhere beginning of May) to replace my MP40Ws. I'm on the WAV side of the wire debate, love the concept of 1Link.

Within 2 weeks of install I was getting random stall messages, but, interface showing 44%, never actually saw the pump stop, but, email alerts and Fusion saying "stalled". I opened a case, they suggested I clean the pumps, so I did and stall went away for another two weeks, then stalls again, figured I'd ignore the still since the pumps still running. Within 4 days right completely stopped, could not remove impeller even after soaking in Vinegar, but, turned freely, so back in the tank and running. Left stalled today, same thing locked completely, when I removed the guard it touched the prop and one of the 3 blades broke. Re-opened the same case with Apex on-line, we'll see what they say tomorrow.

So while waiting soaked in vinegar with broken blade, impeller freed up, but, couldn't remove impeller. After reading others complaining of how tight, I figured I'll press a little harder and it will come out, no way. I put this in the notes (case), I feel like it would break the tabs if I push any harder.

Here's my history

1.) My Gyre is 9 months old, lots of coralline algae, never been cleaned never stalled.
    2.) The MP40s I removed were almost two years old, and I'm sure it was over a year before I clean them and not because I had to (stoppage), but, no coralline, just some nasty stuff because they were in the dark.
    3.) I have had a RODC 5500 pump size, but, after almost a year, replaced with a Echtech L1, no issues.

I see lots of LFS reef tanks with pumps that are more encrusted than mine and I'm sure not cleaning them every two weeks.

Is there some trick to the WAVs to keep them from stalling and getting dirty in two weeks, or is this type of pump just too loose to get the high flows and very sensitive to any build up?

How do you guys compare the blade materials to MPs, or Gyre, to the WAV blades? To me they seem too thin to last?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Frequent Visitor
    Why would tech support be any different on WAV?? Again Neptune not in line with any competitor. Ordering new impellers since tech support has determined (without speaking to me) any prop breakage to be my fault. God what an awful tech support / customer service company.

Must be sand in my pumps - I don't even have sand in my tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    Someone posted about buying the WAVs from me, I responded and it violates forum rules, so I won't be responding to any posts about buying the WAVs. Regardless, it would not be worth the frustration, when you sell junk you have unhappy customers, and I don't want an unhappy customer.

So, please only post questions about durability and recommendations, I'll be more than happy to post my progress.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk