Thread: Display is blank

New User

Display is blank

My display module is blank and won't turn on. I tried switching USB ports and still nothing. I can't seem to update my apex without the display unit working. Any thoughts?

Classic User
    You speak of "switching USB ports and ..."

There are no USB ports on Apex. There are two female connectors that have the identical shape as USB connectors, but they are not USB ports. They are aquabus ports and have totally different electrical characteristics from USB ports. Never plug any USB device into an Apex aquabus connector, ever, no exceptions.

The Apex display module has one male aquabus connectors that looks like a USB connector. The Apex base unit has two aquabus female connectors. The Apex display module's male aquabus connector can be plugged into either of these two female aquabus connectors on the Apex base unit. The other female connector on the Apex base unit is for connecting the Apex base unit to an energy bar such as a EB4 or an EB8 energy bar. The energy bar must be plugged into a normal power outlet (wall outlet) on a house electrical circuit.

You must have the Apex base unit connected to an energy bar for the base unit to be powered.

So, Energy Bar connects to a wall outlet with a standard electrical plug. Apex base unit connects to the energy bar with an aquabus cable that looks like a male-male USB cable. Display module connects to an aquabus female connector on the Apex base unit. Both aquabus connectors on the Apex base unit are used.

Is this the exact cabling configuration that you are using that does not work?

If so and the display module remains blank, try unplugging the energy bar from the wall outlet and plugging it back in to reset the Apex base unit.

What do you mean by 'blank'? Is the display screen lit up with a blue screen with no characters or icons showing or is it not showing any signs of life at all?

If the display remains blank, post back to us and tell us the colors and steady versus flashing state of the status indicators on the Apex base unit and on the energy bar.

New User
    Blah blah blah. Usb sort of looking like a usb all the same to someone that isn't tech savvy. Yes the display remains blank no matter what.

Classic User
    Quote Originally Posted by troynel View Post
    Blah blah blah. Usb sort of looking like a usb all the same to someone that isn't tech savvy.
    You are welcome.

You did not answer the question that I asked in an attempt to try helping you.

If you want any more help try Neptune Systems tech support.

New User
    Display remains blank. Colors on all modules are green. Everything except the display seem to be fine at this point. I just didn't appreciate a tech savvy answer that was condisending.

Classic User
    There was no condescension, just a thorough explanation to leave no ambiguities.

Rudeness is not tolerated on this forum. Please refrain from rudeness and ingratiousness here.

Help is freely offered here by many users to many users who range widely in their knowledge of Apex. Failure to differentiate USB and Aquabus is common with less ' tech savvy' users because the cables are the same for each but the electronics are not. Confusing the two is a serious issue. Many of us make it a point to warn new users of the difference so they do not unwittingly fry their equipment.

If you really do want help then please answer the questions in the post above which remain unanswered. Their purpose is to confirm your configuration. My guess is that you do have it right, but it remains a good starting point to confirm it and to clarify exactly what you are observing. "Display is blank" for example is specifically open to interpretation, therefore my question to you on that.

Frequent Visitor
    If you don't want help by people like fab then submit a ticket to Neptune for them to help you.

Quote Originally Posted by troynel View Post
    My display module is blank and won't turn on.
    try this:

https://forum.neptunesystems.com/sho...creen-is-blank

I can't seem to update my apex without the display unit working.
    A display is not needed for updating firmware. Please explain what you mean my this.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

New User
    Sorry to necro a thread but I just currently had a similar issue with my screen flashing solid blue after a power outage and updating the module in the Classic Dashboard did indeed work. May want to edit the linked post to include that this must be done in the Classic Dashboard as I could not find it in Fusion. Once I figured out what you meant by the browser interface it was simple and fixed in less then a min. Thanks Russ