Thread: PH prob, default is temp compensation Off, turn it on?

Frequent Visitor

PH prob, default is temp compensation Off, turn it on?

I see on the new apex wifi setup the default for PH probe is temp compensation off. Wondering why and if we should turn it on?

Am am I correct that the new apex wifi does not need a 2nd temp probe todo temp compensation for PH probe now? If so then why is the default off? Any disadvantage to turning it on?

thx
    Attached Images Attached Images

From the Get Started guide:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1468686339.170107.jpg

The choice is yours to use temp comp per probe or not. I personally don't because it doesn't make a big difference considering that my tank temp usually varies only small amount.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor
    Thank you Russ for the reply. I see now it is not a big think for reef tank as we keep temp in such a small range. I did not realize the likelihood of ph swing within few degrees was so small.

I just found this in the main larger manual too:

"You have an option when calibrating or using your pH probe to include temperature compensation or not. Thereare a couple of things you should consider. First, practically speaking the compensation is negligible given the verynarrow range of temperatures in most reef tanks. A pH of 8.30 at 77 degrees would be 8.29 at 75 degrees and8.31 at 79. Also, if you do compensate, you have to be careful of what happens if your temperature probe reportsa strange value – do you immediately respond with dosing if your temperature probe blips? (See the Defercommand for a way to get around this). On the other hand, the capability is there and you can decide if you wantto use it or not. "

Russ im having problems calibrating my pH probe under aqua controller apex dashboard going through the ip address in the setup the offset is stuck on -35 and scale is at 1.000 will not let me change it or should it be like that

Probe enable o Enabled Disabled
    Probe name pH
    Temperature compensation Enabled Disabled
    Offset -35
    Scale 1.000
    Calibrate

Frequent Contributor iamchadster's Avatar
    No you don't change the offset and scale. Those are set during the calibration process. You can use temp compensation if you like but it really makes very little difference and I just have it disabled. I read a post from Russ a long time ago addressing that and I seem to recall that the difference was very negligible.
    Chad

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    From the Get Started guide:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1468686339.170107.jpg

The choice is yours to use temp comp per probe or not. I personally don't because it doesn't make a big difference considering that my tank temp usually varies only small amount.
    Did this get redacted? On my 2016, I have a PM1 attached with no temp probe and I'm unable to set the main Apex pH to temp compensation enabled, while leaving the PM1 as disabled.

Quote Originally Posted by markstubb View Post
    Did this get redacted? On my 2016, I have a PM1 attached with no temp probe and I'm unable to set the main Apex pH to temp compensation enabled, while leaving the PM1 as disabled.
    Thanks markstubb

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by markstubb View Post
    Temp compensation isn't really necessary for pH unless it is regularly calibrated in a pH sensitive role (like a calcium reactor). The error is like 0.05 pH which is often less than drift for those who don't calibrate at least monthly.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Frequent Visitor
    well, my PM1 is for my CaRx, while the main Apex probe is for the sump. Still doesn't answer my question though :-) When i try to toggle either of the temp compensation settings for either probe, it changes globally.

Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    Temp compensation isn't really necessary for pH unless it is regularly calibrated in a pH sensitive role (like a calcium reactor). The error is like 0.05 pH which is often less than drift for those who don't calibrate at least monthly.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.
    So i would use this option when calibrating my probe for my reactor and use the default on my tank probe right

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    You can't. that's the problem and why I posted. If I set the on board probe to temp comp, and try to set the PM1 to not use temp comp, it sets both to temp comp disabled

New User
    Hello
    I have an apex to control 2 aquariums, if I want to use the temperature compensation and I have 2 temp probes, will the apex let me use the one I choose?