Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Apex lost cinnection: local and fusion

Issue is not resolved. Had 2 disconnects today. 1 required a reboot.

Frequent Visitor
    alexatho,
    So sorry to hear. Interesting that you require a manual reboot. After few firmware back mine stopped needing the manual reboot and was effectively auto restarting. Have you been in touch with Jon from support ? He seems to be tracking this issue overall for the new apex units like ours.

So far I am on day 2 of the new firmware and have not had a restart.
    Just checked connection history and had 3 disconnects noted by fusion today, none of which I noticed, no manual action take on my part to restore, and no crash/restart.

Prior to this last firmware I was seeing 8-20+ disconnects noted by fusion in addition to the crashes every 12 hours

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by alexatho View Post
    Issue is not resolved. Had 2 disconnects today. 1 required a reboot.

Yep. Not fixed yet. Mine needed to be manually rebooted this afternoon. Disappointing but not surprising I guess.

5.00_8B16 didn't fix my problem either

Frequent Visitor
    Are you connected via Ethernet or wifi? (Sorry I cannot recall what you posted prior.)

Mine remains stable (day 3) , only 1 disconnect today which matches timer on wifi AP restart.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by Junkycosmos View Post
    Are you connected via Ethernet or wifi? (Sorry I cannot recall what you posted prior.)

Mine remains stable (day 3) , only 1 disconnect today which matches timer on wifi AP restart.
    I'm connected via Wifi. I do have two teenage kids that stream a lot of video over wifi. Not sure if that's causing any problems. I will probably contact tech support when I get a chance. My fusion diagnostics tells me that I had 7 disconnects over the last 24 hours

Frequent Visitor
    Why does everyone not have access to this AOS update?

Update for my controller.

Yesterday Jon called me again with news of the released AOS update 5.00_8B16 (from 5.00_7G).

We installed it yesterday just about 24 hours ago. Noted that we did end up manually power cycling the Apex and the update did take a short while (5-10 mins) but aside from needing the manual restart all went smooth.

Here is the good news: after 24 hours I have had NO restarts (no power loss mails) when typically they were coming every 10-12 hours.

Also I checked on Fusion and it only lists 2 connection drop outs in 24 hours, which correspond to the timing of my nightly wifi router restart.

Surely need to have this soak test for few more days but initial testing of 5.00_8B16 looks good !

Frequent Visitor
    Well today my controller is again disconnected and not connected to fusion. Had been stable for a while but dropped out today and appears to be stuck.

Of interesting note I have a non related wifi device that I reconnected (plugged back into power) this morning. Thinking back I had unplugged this device on Aug 7th. That is about when I was moved to the new firmware and things stabilized for me.

Still have no idea if really related but heck of a coincidence.

Either way I'm stuck/broken again.

Anyone else out there with issues have a Honeywell wifi thermostat ??

Frequent Visitor
    decided to use ethernet here no problems without wifi
    Well today my controller is again disconnected and not connected to fusion. Had been stable for a while but dropped out today and appears to be stuck.

Of interesting note I have a non related wifi device that I reconnected (plugged back into power) this morning. Thinking back I had unplugged this device on Aug 7th. That is about when I was moved to the new firmware and things stabilized for me.

Still have no idea if really related but heck of a coincidence.

Either way I'm stuck/broken again.

Yes - it was unable to maintain a stable connection to my router 15' away - had to reset it frequently. It was an older model with buttons and a green LCD display. I returned it after a week or two and got the newer color touchscreen model, which has worked flawlessly for me for about 2 years now.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

New User
    New guy here, new to apex. I just got my Apex 2016 model, and opened it up last night. As of now this is the most infuriating piece of tech I have ever owned.

First... when following the setup guide, I never was able to open "apex.local" and being that I couldn't connect to the apex, ethernet or wifi, I had no way of knowing the MAC address. So I played around with wireshark, and looking at my DHCP and ARP tables, was finally able to determine the local IP, and connected via IP.

Updated to the latest firmware and lost connectivity. Reset the unit a couple times, and was finally able to connect via IP again. Got the apex linked to fusion, and made a couple very minor changes for my needs, and hooked up only the temp probe. Called it a night. Today, I come to finish setting up and configuring the probes, and no connectivity to the apex at all. Fusion doens't see it, it's not responding to ping's, it's not in my ARP table...UGH!!!

I've reset it multiple times, powered off from 30 seconds to 90 minutes, even unplugged the whole system from the outlet (to move and mount in my stand). Still nothing, no pings, not in my ARP table, not connected to Fusion....

Needless to say I am extremely frustrated at this point, never have I had issues like this with a fully released product, heck, I don't think I've had this many issues even when beta testing products.

I would really appreciate any insight or guidance that can be provided as to what else I should/can do. Is there a way to do a soft (or hard) reset, and start over from scratch???

Thanks,
    Knick

Classic User
    Are you able to access the Apex via Apex local now? For your initial work with Apex connect with it using an Ethernet cable, not wirelessly. I simply carry the Apex to my home router and plug it in. Sometimes I run a 50 ft ethernet cable from my router to my Apex location and connect over the long cable. Get up and running on Apex local over the cable. After you are solid on that configuration then work with Apex over your LAN and across the internet from Fusion.

Finally and lastly remove the ethernet cable and deal with a wireless connection if you must.

Remember your goal is to monitor and control your aquarium, not to get bushwhacked by IT issues.

New User
    I am not using wireless, using ethernet cable. Do not plan on using wireless at all.

No, I can not connect to it locally, and it doesn't respond to ping requests.

Right now it's not much more than an expensive paper weight.

Frequent Contributor
    I would contact Support and they can help you get it up and going. Is your network setup as Public or Private?
    Jon

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by jonmos75 View Post
    I would contact Support and they can help you get it up and going. Is your network setup as Public or Private?
    I have opened a ticket with Support. My network is Private. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor
    One thing to add to the thread - as I struggled with similar issues on my old controller, I found that having a simple app on my mobile device to list out all devices on the network was very helpful. When I would lose connection to APEX I would run this System Status app on my iPhone and scan the range of IP addresses. As I also saw in the thread someone note that they could not resolve the apex.local URL, having a quick way to scan the full IP range for all devices to find the Apex has saved me in the past. Both iPhone and Android devices have similar apps, ranging from free to a couple bucks... well worth it!

New User
    I was able to get my issue resolved on my own. I was impatient with waiting for support, and with several years of technical background, it was driving me nuts that I couldn't figure this out on my own, so I kept messing with it until I got it working.

So as of now, the apex is up, was stable overnight, connected via ethernet, wifi disabled, and assigned a static IP address outside of my DHCP scope. I am now able to access it locally, as well as through fusion. I truly hope that it will remain stable from hear on out, only time will tell.

Especially want to thank scottmoote, your post got me thinking, which ultimately led to me being able to get it working. Thanks.

Regular Vistor
    Yeah it's still really unstable on Wifi. Have to manually reboot it once a day or once every other day.

I may try connecting via Ethernet cable but I'll have to pull my TV off the wall and split the cable going into it into a Hub and then into the controller. Dissapointing that they can't get Wifi to work, but understandable I guess.

Regular Vistor
    I see they have two separate threads on this issue. Too bad we can't combine them into one.

This seems to the the biggest issue that Apex has right now

New User
    I haven't had any further issues with my Apex, since I disabled the WiFi, and assigned it a static IP, that is outside of the DHCP scope.

I'm not sure where to look to confirm, but I haven't noticed or seen any messages about it disconnecting from fusion since then. It's been rock solid for a week now.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by Knick View Post
    I haven't had any further issues with my Apex, since I disabled the WiFi, and assigned it a static IP, that is outside of the DHCP scope.

I'm not sure where to look to confirm, but I haven't noticed or seen any messages about it disconnecting from fusion since then. It's been rock solid for a week now.
    Good to know. I will have to try hard wiring it instead of using Wifi. I just need to wait until my foot is out of a boot and is healed up before I can do some crawling around to get it hooked up to Ethernet cable.

Too bad the Apex isn't stable on Wifi, but it's worth a shot wiring it up on Ethernet. Wonder why assigning it a static IP helps.

New User
    I am so frustrated with this model and now there tech support! Initially I only had trouble the day i tried hooking it up! It wasn't happening wireless or wired...I played phone tag and email exchanges for 3 days before getting it working(should have returned it)..During that time I wasted a lot of time reading forum posts all with same problems,as tech support suggested... how about a updated manual? I wonder why Neptune isn't jumping through hoops of fire to make us happy and stem the growing dissent when they clearly released a product that wasn't ready for consumer use yet... ok venting over for now, we will see what my next email says besides upgrading to current firmware even though its up to date nvm that I cant access my controller...through fusion/locally .... Before the controller stopped connecting online the Ebar started toggling my protein skimmer outlet and 1 of mp40 off and on, 10 sec on 10 sec off.. besides the unit resetting nightly this is the longest Ive not been able to use my New apex since around June

Frequent Visitor
    Overdue update on my unit ac-1607.

After 3 months of locking up every 1-2 days requiring a power cycle to reconnect my unit took a turn for the worse last week.

My unit would no longer connect to wifi at all and when on Ethernet it was extremely slow. Worked with support for 2 hours (new firmware took 45 minutes to install). I ended up talking to three different tech support people all who continued to suggest this was a firmware issue and was being addressed in the long term for ongoing disconnects. However the main difference this time was that wifi was completely dead and the unit was very slow to respond. After my request they did do a rma swap which they overnighted without question.

New (refurbished , sn sticker 8xxx stacked onto of old one) Apex connected right up to wifi and is running nice and fast. Also noted my conductivity salt probe reading immediately returned to normal on the "new" apex.

One thing we did not try with the old unit was a full reset so maybe that would be worth a try.

Replacement apex has been online for 23 hours now. Here is hoping it stays stable.

Regular Vistor
    I tried the solution recommended on another thread and bought a wireless extender and plugged a cable from it directly into my Apex. For a few days, it seemed to be working, but once again the Apex Controller crashed out and didn't turn my lights on and I had to manually restart it.

This product would be awesome if it didn't crash once a day. Oh well, sometimes a piece of junk is just a piece of junk. Gotta call it like I see it

Frequent Visitor
    Curious: what is the serial number of your unit ? I saw some posting where someone quoted support having mention that under 2xxx where candidates for having the fake memory cards (https://forum.neptunesystems.com/sho...g-the-new-Apex ). I am not sure if that is correct. Also I know that support has a way they check for the bad memory cards, and a prior firmware also tests which was done on my original unit and ruled not bad but considering what happened to my unit it does raise questions. Just looking around the forums here sure shows something larger is going on.

Meanwhile me replacement / refurb has been online for 47 hours now via wifi without dropping out. Only change from prior is the swapped hardware. Still too early to be sure though. The theory of bad hardware in their distribution channel being larger than what their support could or know how to test for concerns some of us. It could explain what has looked like an extremely poorly tested product by actually being variability in the hardware.

Either way the situation needs a much better handle on it. Way too many of us have had horrible performance of this flagship product. How many firmware releases with no release notes? While I can and do appreciate Neptune is a small Co and that this is a new product but my patience is a bit thin. I do really want this to work as well that I've been lead to believe Neptune's strong reputation is built on.

Regular Vistor
    Yeah, I saw that about the serial number too. I don't think my Apex has that old of a serial number. Where do you see the serial number ? My MAC Addr which matches the 4 SN digits on the box for "Apex Base Unit" serial number starts with a "4". The S/N on the box for just "Apex" starts with "S2". The S/N for the EB832 starts with "29"

Encouraging that you were able to get them to replace your unit. My latest attempt is to use a 4 digit port (instead of port 80) to connect to the Apex. We'll see if it's any more stable, but I'm not very optimistic at this point.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast