Thread: Need help with Radions

Regular Vistor

Need help with Radions

As a new user to the APEX I am finding my experience with support to be similar to you. I am really trying my best to follow the instructions and have had some success. My APEX appears to be up and running but trying to link my Radion xr15 has been a big wall. It will not take to my APEX and I am out of clues what to do. I am trying to find if I have to upgrade the radion FW. But the ecosmartlive account I set up has no place to update FW that I can see. I have it plugged into my pc and i am at a loss.
    I have repeated the steps to connect my radion to my APEX but when I get to the "test" to get the radion's lights to blink, nothing... I am at a loss what to do. That is pretty frustrating.
    If someone knows something on how to make that connection I would be thrilled!!!!

New User
    Bschultz, I'm new here, but I think I'be seen it posted several places that it's best to make your own thread, if you are needing assistance. With that being said I maybe able to offer some assistance. I just setup my 2nd XR15w pro yesterday. I was having similar issues when I was first trying to attach my radions. I had first updated the firmware thru the echotech website and think they may have been my issue. Also my lights never blink during the test, but did attach.

Regular Vistor
    I'm new to all this! I dont even know how to start my own thread. I have never blogged before. I have always had the lights on when I was setting up the radion. I have not tried to do the connection when the lights are off. not sure if that would make a difference. How did you update the firmware thru ecotech? I mailed them yesterday and still have not received a response. thanks for your help

went through the set up and again no luck making the connection. I am guessing my firm ware for my ecotech needs to be updated.

New User
    I don't think I was suppose to update them thru the echo tech, I did it in error. Have you checked to see, maybe they did attach. Here is an image of how mine showed up. They are labeled Radion followed by some other characters. http://imageshack.com/a/img923/3649/rDg6m2.png

Regular Vistor
    So u log into ecosmartlive.com It gives me no indication to update firmware on that site. I can plug my radion in via USB to my pc and program it all day long. But I just can't find any place to update FW. I have no clue what you have at your http://imageshack.com/a/img923/3649/rDg6m2.png.. Is that from ecotech?

New User
    You update it thru the module, not thru echotech site. That screenshot was of my aqua controller

Regular Vistor
    so you can see your aqua controller on you pc or mac? I am using fusion. should I be looking at my apex classic?

Frequent Contributor iamchadster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LDC3000 View Post
    You update it thru the module, not thru echotech site. That screenshot was of my aqua controller
    Bschultz, I'm new here, but I think I'be seen it posted several places that it's best to make your own thread, if you are needing assistance. With that being said I maybe able to offer some assistance. I just setup my 2nd XR15w pro yesterday. I was having similar issues when I was first trying to attach my radions. I had first updated the firmware thru the echotech website and think they may have been my issue. Also my lights never blink during the test, but did attach.

LDC3000,

Your two posts seem to be contradicting and are just a bit confusing. The WXM module is updated through the Apex controller and the Radions if needed to be updated are done so via the USB connection and the Ecosmart connection manager that is downloaded and run locally on your computer.

Bschultz,

To update Radion firmware follow the get started guide for attaching the Radions and specifically here (
    https://www.neptunesystems.com/getstarted/wxm/radionupdate/) to update to the most current firmware on your Radions. Although I don't think that the firmware is your issue as the xr15's should be fine. I am running FW version 1.7.6 on my Radion Pro Gen 2's with no trouble just FYI.

I am going to assume you don't have Vortechs and you don't have a Reeflink within a million miles of your Radions so I might try the following.

1. Disconnect the WXM module set is aside.
    2. Go into the module setup page via the apex classic dashboard under the configuration menu and find the WXM module and delete the module from your apex.
    3. Also find
    any Radion outlets that are listed in the Module setup page and delete those as well.
    4. Reboot your Apex, allow it at least 2 minutes to completely come back online. It will happen quicker than that but just be patient.
    5. Follow the steps to do a factory reset on your Radion, generally it is simply downloading the connection manager and connecting the radion via usb (you should see an icon available to click on and that should give you some options) then selecting factory reset, with the radion powered on. You should see it flash and come back on at 100% intensity after the reset.
    6. You can unplug the Radion if you like as it will save your eyes a little or leave it if you quick.
    7. Connect WXM to apex and verify it shows up in the module setup page and make sure under software rev that it says "ok". If it says old then the WXM needs to be updated.
    8. Turn on your Radion if not already powered up.
    9. In the module setup page click the "Reset" button under the WXM module menu, then click the "Attach" button.
    10. Verify the Radion outlet is created in the module setup page.

Enjoy!

If you get stuck on any of the steps then let me know.

Chad

Regular Vistor
    Thank you Chad, I will give it a shot tonight!

Regular Vistor
    So I have powered down and deleted files from my controller for the WXM. All good there I think. I am doing all this from the controller and not through the classic dashboard on my laptop. Is that ok?
    For the Radion, i deleted all files on my pc and downloaded the manager et all. Once installed the radion did go to the bright white light and then dimmed down to blue. I disconnected from my pc at that point and plugged the light near my reefer. I then proceeded to re-introduce my wxm to the apex. I went through the steps and then when I went to push reset for the radion, nothing. I really thought i had it done! I guess i now have to start over with the apex and go into the classic dashboard as you instructed.

Yes please use the module setup page on the classic apex dashboard. It's just much easier. When you say "Reefer" what do you mean? You aren't saying Reeflink are you? Also, can you post a screenshot of your module setup page please.
    Chad

Regular Vistor
    Attachment 5964

I have a Red Sea Reefer 170 thats what I call my reefer. I have no reeflink. just the radion. I did go into the classic dashboard and deleted the wxm. I did not see any radions inthere to delete, unless I am not looking in the right places. I am sorry about the image. I am on a laptop and I used the fn key plus the prt sc button but it does not past in. I can send a larger image if needed

Thanks Chad, I think with your guidance I feel like I am getting closer to getting this done. I gotta hit the hay though. I'm on east coast time and its been a long day. If you have more advice, I will be able to pick this back up Sunday late afternoon or so. I have travel/work until then. cheers.
    Last edited by bschultz; 07-21-2016 at 18:19. Reason: getting late, my time...

Regular Vistor
    Chadster,

Thank you for your assistance! I was finally able to connect the radion tonight. I had to go into the aqua controller and update the ecosmart firmware there too and that did the trick. I also went into apex classic dashboard and checked there too and all looked fine. I did the update and low and behold the lights blinked off and on.
    Now I feel good about starting my cycle for my tank and begin that process. Thanks again.

Great
    Chad

Regular Vistor
    I need help - My WXM detected radions and vortechs that don't belong to me, and now they are listed as "Missing". I can't seem to find the place to delete them from my module. Can anyone show me a screenshot please on how exactly to delete them from APEX Local? The Module configuration screen both in APEX Local and Fusion don't give me the option to delete Radions and Vortech Outlets.

Go to the Outputs page in Apex Local or Apex Fusion. In the upper right of that page is a button that will allow you to enable the option to delete outputs.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Regular Vistor
    Thank you!