Thread: Power Outages and Apex Controller Connection to Fusion

New User

Power Outages and Apex Controller Connection to Fusion

I frequently have power outages and this is causing a couple of issues for the Apex Controller and Fusion.

1. The Apex Controller loses power as does my home internet wifi. When the Apex Contrller loses connectivity to Fusion, I DO NOT get an alert that there is a power outage until AFTER power is restored (more precisely, until AFTER the controller reconnects to fusion.. see below). This seems nonsensical to me. Is there a way to fix this? Recognizing that Fusion may not know why there was a loss of connection until after the controller reconnects, is there a way to make it alert me when Fusion looses connection to the controller?
    2. The Apex Controller boots faster than my home wifi, so the result is that it often does not get back onto the network after power is restored. I then have to manually restart the Controller's network connection to get it to re-connect. It seems like it should automatically retry to connect to the network on some periodic basis. Is there a way to resolve this issue?

Frequent Visitor
    Get a ups, a proper a/c power adapter which you can buy from Neptune or use the specs from it to buy one from Amazon for the controller. Connect at least one eb8 to the ups on the battery side making sure all the modules and controller connect to it. Connect a/c power adapter to the controller. Connect the power adapter to a outlet that is not protected by the ups. There's a setting in the dashboard not Fusion for detecting a power loss from the wall wart. I can't recall at the moment the settings location in the dashboard. Assuming that the controller is set up correctly to send alerts through email an/or text, it will alert you to a power outage when it senses the power loss from the a/c adapter because it's still getting power through the aquabus that's connected to the battery protected side of the ups.

You our can start to get fancy with selectively shutting down outlets on the eb8(s) to conserve power leaving on only power heads for example. In order for the controller to be able to send out alerts, the cable modem and router must also be attached to a ups. Either to the same one if they are close enough to each other, or preferibly a separate one to power them during the outage. You wouldn't need a large one because they don't require a lot of power, but if you get a decent sized one you can have wifi and Internet acess for quite a while.

Theres a a power point presentation from Neptune I think showing different ways to hook up equipment through a ups. It's very helpful. I'll try to dig it up and post it.

heres one thread that you should find helpful. https://forum.neptunesystems.com/sho...ht=Power+point

Frequent Visitor
    I guess I am confused, if the Apex has no power or internet connectivity, how can it provide an alarm?

with a uninterruptible power supply I suppose it could provide an audible alarm, but your internet is still down, do email won't happen.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Frogfish View Post
    I guess I am confused, if the Apex has no power or internet connectivity, how can it provide an alarm?

with a uninterruptible power supply I suppose it could provide an audible alarm, but your internet is still down, do email won't happen.
    What are you confused about? Nothing gets done without power. No alerts, no pumps running, nothing. The op was asking for a solution which I gave him so he can investigate further. Everything is there in those two paragraphs. Did you read my post? Doesn't appear that you did. Take another look. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Frogfish View Post
    The best practice is to put the Apex and router (and cable modem if you have one) on a UPS - or use two UPSs if need be - one for the Internet heat and one for the Apex.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor
    Teddy, not confused about your past... Confused about what the op wants done if there is no power to do anything

New User
    Adding another bump.

Been having the same issue since I upgraded my apex 4weeks ago. And support not been helpful .
    I really think neptunes should find a fix for this problem rather than us .
    If my apex unit boots before obtaining connection from my router , why can't you find a away to make it work, rather than telling me buy another router AND another set of battery backup for the router and see if that helps.
    REALLY?
    I'm sure is all bout the programming that takes places at the monument of rebooting. ,
    Out of all the electronics in my house Ethernet connection or wifi ,this one is the only one that does not gets connected back to the network .
    IMO -One of the main purpose of the apex is the ability to control it while at work.
    And I'm not saying that I get a power outrage everyday, but they will happen . And having the unit hardwire to the modem and not WIFI -shouldn't be running thought this problems

Frequent Visitor
    If you set up a www.reeftronics.net account it will notify you if it loses contact with Apex for more than an hour. Setting up an account does require setting up port forwarding, but if i can get it done anyone can.

Here is my Reef Tronics account

New User
    Will do .
    Thanks

Regular Vistor
    Why can't https://apexfusion.com alert you when it loses connection with your controller???

New User

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Reef-1 View Post
    Adding another bump.

Been having the same issue since I upgraded my apex 4weeks ago. And support not been helpful .
    I really think neptunes should find a fix for this problem rather than us .
    If my apex unit boots before obtaining connection from my router , why can't you find a away to make it work, rather than telling me buy another router AND another set of battery backup for the router and see if that helps.
    REALLY?
    I'm sure is all bout the programming that takes places at the monument of rebooting. ,
    Out of all the electronics in my house Ethernet connection or wifi ,this one is the only one that does not gets connected back to the network .
    IMO -One of the main purpose of the apex is the ability to control it while at work.
    And I'm not saying that I get a power outrage everyday, but they will happen . And having the unit hardwire to the modem and not WIFI -shouldn't be running thought this problems

I have the same problem, unrelated to power outages and even unrelated to Wifi/Internet outages most times. Sometime the Apex will just lose connection to Fusion for no apparent reason. This is the only Wifi device in my home which
    1. will not reconnect on it's own when wifi or internet connection goes out (once a month? maybe)
    2. will suddenly lose connection and not "self-heal" so to speak and reboot itself to reconnect to Fusion.

I put in a ticket with Neptune Systems but the answer I got was sort of just beating around the bush. I replied with more questions/information hoping for a more relevant response.

Even acknowledgement from them that this is a problem would be nice at this point.

Regular Vistor
    See my other post on this subject. However, in summary I have tried "turning off" WIFI briefly every night. So far no unscheduled drops but still a bit too early to declare victory.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by nhlives View Post
    See my other post on this subject. However, in summary I have tried "turning off" WIFI briefly every night. So far no unscheduled drops but still a bit too early to declare victory.
    Thanks for directing me to the other thread, nhlives. Some good/new information on there for me.

For those reading this thread and looking for more information, see the following thread:
    Connection to Fusion intermittent after latest firmware update