Thread: PAR Sensor

Former User

PAR Sensor

I read somewhere on this part of the forum that the sensor used in the PAR Monitoring Kit is made by Apogee. Wanting to understand this a little more I visited their site and came across this page.

http://www.apogeeinstruments.co.uk/aquarium-par-meters/

which shows there is an Original Sensor and a Full-Spectrum sensor.

The original Sensor does look remarkably like the one included in the kit which when you read the detail says "A lower-cost option that is excellent for all light sources, except most LEDs, where post-measurement correction factors need to be applied to achieve accurate readings." and that it is necessary to use the Full-Spectrum Sensor to get the correct readings for LED's

Having only LED lighting on my aquarium and about to buy the PAR Monitoring Kit I am trying to establish whether the Kit is suitable for obtaining accurate readings on LED's or not.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Former User
    Surely someone from Neptune can answer this for me. Thanks

Former User
    Anyone please

Regular Vistor
    I can't offer you any advice on the par meter but maybe you would have better luck contacting Neptune directly. Seems like the info would be more reliable directly from the source. Good luck.

Former User
    Thank you for at least replying which I appreciate.
    I have sent a message to Support and waiting a reply.
    Not sure what the difficulty is. It will either measure accurately for LED's or not.

Regular Vistor
    Post what you find out here as I've thought about one for future use. If it won't do LED's it won't help me out either.

Former User
    Yes I will no problem. Thanks once again

Former User
    The first reply from Support and my response.

"The new probe the Apogee has is not compatible with our module, however when I am using my PAR meter on my tank with LEDs I am just looking at trends with a PAR meter vs actual data"

"Thanks for the reply.
    So from what you have said it is the Original Sensor that is being used which according to Apogee does not give accurate readings for LED's
    Looking at trends is fine but I would also like to know an accurate PAR reading which from what you are saying is not possible with the kit.
    Is that correct?"

Regular Vistor
    Interesting. I run a hybrid LED/T5 setup. I am not sure what value a "trend" will give me in relation to LEDs. Would the inaccurate PAR reading fluctuate with an LED over time? Glad I saw this thread...this module might be useless for me unless I do switch to ATI setup one day. Following.

For what it's worth I have the Apogee USB meter (new model, LED "adjusted") and the PMK. The PMK's readings on my AI Hydra 52's are within 5% of the PMK's readings. So on those specific LEDs at least, it seems to be close. I understand what the tech support dude is saying, basically use the PMK as a indicator that something is amiss and use an actually quality PAR meter to get your readings. Not a great answer, but it sounds like the correct one.

Former User
    Justin thanks for that. Its very useful info and seems to confirm that the PMK is not accurate although like you say 5% is not bad. My understanding was that it could have been nearer 10% correction that had to be applied. Anyone I have abandoned my idea of buying one especially at £330 here in the UK and thats before the fall of sterling against the dollar. I've bought a second hand Seneye Reef for £50 which gives me want I need on PAR readings and the "word on the street" is that they are fairly accurate.

Frequent Visitor

Frequent Visitor
    This video is very helpful, have a look at the 15:00 minute mark. https://youtu.be/Pc_tqLYhITA