Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking to buy a new Apex 2016 but scared to do it seeing the feedback here!!!

Frequent Visitor

Thinking to buy a new Apex 2016 but scared to do it seeing the feedback here!!!

Guys let me know if this is still the right thing to do !!! I'm not overly impressed by the number of issues and bugs here!!!
    Appreciate some honest feedback !

Thank you !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regular Vistor
    https://forum.neptunesystems.com/sho...ing-units-pics

Check out this link. This was started to answer your exact question. On a forum like this that offers a lot of help, you rarely hear any of the good stories.

I am a newbie and this was my "first" apex. I say that in quotes because I bought the original in March and had trouble connecting it. Couldn't get a wifi adapter to work so I gave up and never did anything with it. I decided to give the new one a try and it was a breeze setting it up. I set it up yesterday and find myself glued to Fusion today watching everything work.

IMO you won't be disappointed.

Regular Vistor
    I'm also a newbie and other than the problem they are having with it losing connection once a day to the Wifi, the thing is pretty awesome! I'm told they are working on the connectivity issue and I'm sure they will get it fixed. I agree, you won't be disappointed

Update: I just noticed they have a new version. I will have to try upgrading tonight to see if they fixed the issue.

Frequent Visitor
    Well if it disconnects everyday that's terrible, I'm buying it because I travel constantly Abd want to have full control and monitoring while I'm away !!

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by rizorido View Post
    Well if it disconnects everyday that's terrible, I'm buying it because I travel constantly Abd want to have full control and monitoring while I'm away !!

I agree with you there. I'm hopeful that they have this fixed with the latest SW update. I will let you know after I update if I still see the problem.

I work as a software engineer working on embedded networking devices like this so I guess I have some sort of understanding for problems with a newly released product like this one. There is only so much testing you can do and sometimes you find problems when the users actually begin using your product. So far they at least seem to be very responsive to problems. Hopefully, they have fixed this major issue

Frequent Visitor
    I have had the classic for years,, and upgraded to the new one... There were growing pains with the initial firmware updates.
    Since the last update mine has been rocks solid,,, haven;t had a disconnect in weeks..
    There are so many factors that could cause disconnects, (router, ISPs, network cables,other devices on the network/WIFI)...

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by kengeroo View Post
    I have had the classic for years,, and upgraded to the new one... There were growing pains with the initial firmware updates.
    Since the last update mine has been rocks solid,,, haven;t had a disconnect in weeks..
    There are so many factors that could cause disconnects, (router, ISPs, network cables,other devices on the network/WIFI)...
    How long has it been running with new firmware without disconnect ?

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by slibby12 View Post
    I agree with you there. I'm hopeful that they have this fixed with the latest SW update. I will let you know after I update if I still see the problem.

I work as a software engineer working on embedded networking devices like this so I guess I have some sort of understanding for problems with a newly released product like this one. There is only so much testing you can do and sometimes you find problems when the users actually begin using your product. So far they at least seem to be very responsive to problems. Hopefully, they have fixed this major issue
    Thank you pls keep me posted ! I can't afford to start traveling without this being reliable enough !

Frequent Visitor
    not sure,, I installed 5.00_7G16 shortly after it came out..

The Apex (via it's Diagnostic menu option, in fusion only) if it's had any sort of disconnect in the past 72 hours, and then it will show a timeline of the disconnects...

Every time I have checked it in the past 2 weeks I have had no disconnects detected in the past 72 hours...

Frequent Visitor
    Great ! Thank you !

Frequent Visitor
    I had the same connection growing pains until the latest AOS (v-5.00_7G16). Since that update, it has been solid and has not disconnected a single time. Nothing quirky, nothing weird, it has just been a tank. Extremely happy with the 2016 Apex.

Regular Vistor
    If I remember right, mine came with 5.00_7F16 and it had me update to 7G16 before I did anything. Mine has been running since Sunday and hasn't disconnected once. I'm already looking at the ALD module and really thinking about getting rid of ReefLink and going to WXM if I feel confident that I can figure out the programming. I'm not convinced I can yet.

Frequent Visitor
    Will do the wxm And afs in this case

Regular Vistor
    Problem still not fixed after running 5.00-8B16 for a few days. Yesterday it survived without needing a manual power down power up. This afternoon, I had to manually restart it again. It's getting better though. Used to be every day

They should put an easy manual reset button on these things

Frequent Visitor
    Omg! Thought was fixed now!

Classic User
    Will this be your first apex or are you upgrading from the older model?

If you are upgrading then go ahead and get the new model. Run it alongside the Apex classic to learn its differences and see for yourself when you are ready to switch over to the new one.

Of you are starting from scratch with this new model Apex then go on and get it. Set it up for monitoring your aquarium, not for controlling yet. Use it for a while to see when it is or becomes reliable enough in your own opinion for you to switch your control over to it.

There is no reason to worry about the fundamental quality of the system, itself. You will not end up with a low utility device or an expensive brick. You can manage how much uncertainty or risk you expose your aquarium system to in how you cut over to full Apex control. Meanwhile you gain the hands on experience with it and you will be able to judge things for yourself. At this point in time you most probably will not have to wait for it to become ready for "prime time" as the company appears to have reduced the outstanding problems substantially through firmware updates.

If you are doubtful, start cutting over to actual Apex control incrementally and cautiously by only implementing control over non-critical devices like one of your lights.

You can program all your control logic but not plug the devices into an energy bar yet. Watch the control logic try to turn devices ON|OFF from Fusion or from Apex local. You can develop confidence that the control logic you programmed is reacting to tank conditions properly. When you are personally satisfied, switch over to actual device control incrementally over a period of hours, days or weeks, your choice.

The new Apex model appears to be solid from a hardware perspective. A very low percentage of them may have typical failures we would expect in any eletronic device we buy. My experience with Neptune Systems is that they handle those kinds of problems honestly and quickly. Firmware kinks have been ironed out. There will be more to follow, for sure, but these kinds of new problems should be of ever diminishing impact on us as Neptune Systems keeps fixing them.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by fab View Post
    Will this be your first apex or are you upgrading from the older model?

If you are upgrading then go ahead and get the new model. Run it alongside the Apex classic to learn its differences and see for yourself when you are ready to switch over to the new one.

Of you are starting from scratch with this new model Apex then go on and get it. Set it up for monitoring your aquarium, not for controlling yet. Use it for a while to see when it is or becomes reliable enough in your own opinion for you to switch your control over to it.

There is no reason to worry about the fundamental quality of the system, itself. You will not end up with a low utility device or an expensive brick. You can manage how much uncertainty or risk you expose your aquarium system to in how you cut over to full Apex control. Meanwhile you gain the hands on experience with it and you will be able to judge things for yourself. At this point in time you most probably will not have to wait for it to become ready for "prime time" as the company appears to have reduced the outstanding problems substantially through firmware updates.

If you are doubtful, start cutting over to actual Apex control incrementally and cautiously by only implementing control over non-critical devices like one of your lights.

You can program all your control logic but not plug the devices into an energy bar yet. Watch the control logic try to turn devices ON|OFF from Fusion or from Apex local. You can develop confidence that the control logic you programmed is reacting to tank conditions properly. When you are personally satisfied, switch over to actual device control incrementally over a period of hours, days or weeks, your choice.

The new Apex model appears to be solid from a hardware perspective. A very low percentage of them may have typical failures we would expect in any eletronic device we buy. My experience with Neptune Systems is that they handle those kinds of problems honestly and quickly. Firmware kinks have been ironed out. There will be more to follow, for sure, but these kinds of new problems should be of ever diminishing impact on us as Neptune Systems keeps fixing them.
    Great ideas and logic, thanks a lot! Will do that

New User
    i have had a chance to use it for a few weeks with out being on a setup aquarium and im still not sure of the new model, i had an old one and it worked just fine this new one not so much if i were you save yourself money and buy the more proven one the classic. the new one when it looses connection to the web it will also cut power to the plugs which is a major problem if you do get one its an uphill battle and if you need neptune's help it will be a 2 day process or more being able to have them really help you.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by gsr4000 View Post
    i have had a chance to use it for a few weeks with out being on a setup aquarium and im still not sure of the new model, i had an old one and it worked just fine this new one not so much if i were you save yourself money and buy the more proven one the classic. the new one when it looses connection to the web it will also cut power to the plugs which is a major problem if you do get one its an uphill battle and if you need neptune's help it will be a 2 day process or more being able to have them really help you.
    I have had the loss of connection problem too but it NEVER cuts power to the plugs. Do you have your default setting for your outlets set to "ON" ? That may help

Frequent Visitor
    GSR4000, If you are on the latest AOS(Firmware), and are on a wired network jack, you shouldn't be having the network connection problems. Wireless is another story, and while I would potentially use wireless as a backup to a wired connection, If I could help it, I wouldn't use it as my only connection. Wireless is just too flaky. Having said that, if you are on the latest AOS and a wired connection, and have checked your cables (including patch and in wall) and your RJ45 connectors (Male and female), and are still having connection issues, I would get with Neptune support. I am currently on 5.00_8B16, and a wired connection, and it just doesn't disconnect, ever. My wife and I were just talking yesterday about how reliable the connection has been.

New User
    thanks for the info i am running the 5.00_8b16. and it is pluged in now i was using wifi. i have wiped my fusion account again which fixed it the first time but not this time i cant even get fusion setup so i have started the slow processes of neptune help i hope they now what is up in a few days

Regular Vistor
    I agree that the wired connection is a more reliable way to go. I can do wired Ethernet too, but I have to remove my TV from the wall and unplug the ethernet cable into it and plug it into an Ethernet hub then plug cables from the hub back to the TV and out to the Apex.

It seems like if they are going to have Wifi as a feature though, it should work without forcing you to manually reboot the Apex once every few days. For now, I'm going to hold off on the "wired project" to see if they can fix their Wifi issues

Frequent Visitor
    Slibby12, I don't know if it is the WiFi built into the APEX or the actual WiFi network that would be causing issues. So many things can go wrong on Wifi.

Classic User
    Wireless ethernet, 802.11 standard, connections deliver inherently less reliable digital communications than wired Ethernet connections by orders of magnitude. Each order of magnitude represents a factor of 10 of worsening reliability for wireless hookups compared to wired Ethernet connections. 2 orders of magnitude means 100 times as bad. 3 orders of magnitude means 1000 times as bad. Wireless is terrible for reliable digital data communications, not just bad. Any slight disturbance in the electromagnetic fields near your wireless networking devices only makes it worse, having started from bad.

Wireless Ethernet simply should not be used for mission critical connectivity because of its reliability shortfalls. This is not a Neptune Systems' shortfall. It is inherent in wireless digital communications.

For the life of me I don't know why Neptune Systems chose to expose itself to the low reliability of wireless Ethernet. If any of us users need to connect to the internet wirelessly then we can by any of a number of wireless devices for only 10's of dollars from well established networking device manufacturers and connect Apex to it with a short, inexpensive cable and from that device connect wirelessly to our routers or cable modems. Then the low reliability of the wireless leg would not be on Neptune Systems' back.

For new or prospective owners of the new Apex, ignore reports of wireless disconnections from the ethernet, internet or Fusion. Ignore any problem reports that have the word "wireless" in them. Pay close attention to all reports that are from users with wired Ethernet connections, good reports and bad. They are the only ones that are important. Users whose problems occur when wired are experiencing problems that are probably rightly put on Neptune Systems. Users with problems that occur while their Apex systems are using a wireless connection should just bite the bullet, go buy a decent networking device (cisco/linksys, dlink or whatever) and separate your problems into two piles, the first pile for wireless connectivity related problems and the other for Neptune Systems' problems.

I'll bet that the 2nd pile will be empty for most and very shallow for the rest. Anybody want to bet against me on these piles?

fab

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by tklb View Post
    Slibby12, I don't know if it is the WiFi built into the APEX or the actual WiFi network that would be causing issues. So many things can go wrong on Wifi.
    True Wifi has a lot of problems but when the required fix to reconnect with the Apex is to reboot the Apex and NOT my Wifi router, it seems to point to the Apex controller

I don't care if the thing loses connectivity as long as it doesn't crash or run out of memory to the point where you need to manually reboot the thing by pulling the USB power cable in order to reconnect to it. Makes it a useless controller if you are travelling on a trip

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast