Thread: MP40's min speed

Frequent Visitor

MP40's min speed

What is the minimum percent speed that I can run a Mp40 at so it will still change speeds for full effect during its program modes such as reefcrest or tidal swell?

I know from the manual that min speed is 30-31%. This percent has a min speed of 1000gph but if wanted to have the full effect of ramp up and down what would the lowest setting be?

B

New User
    I thought it wouldn't go lower than 20% so I'm curious about this as well.

Regular Vistor
    I have a new mp40 qd and I never run it more than 15%. I can change the speeds from say 10 to 15 and I can feel a difference. I use mine on nutrient transport part of the day and constant for another part and I can tell the changing speed.

New User
    Anyone care to add to this?

Regular Vistor
    Not sure if the drivers have the same limitation, but my MP10's goes all the way into "Feed Mode" when I set it to constant speed 1% - same as when you hold the Mode button for several seconds - where the blades are barely turning. I haven't tested to see if the ramp between 1% and 20% is noticeable or not.

Regular Vistor
    just wanted to update this few months old topics if someone stumbles on it.

I don't know if it's the new APEX or the most updated XWM or the fact I have recent MP40W quiet drive, but I can definitively hear a change from 1% to 2%, to 3%, etc. in lagoon mode.

Interestingly if you go to 0% the pump turns off if it's a standalone. But if it's in master with slaves, it won't turn off, what it will do is run a low speed, but any anti-sync will then flip to full 100% independent setting (it believe there is no master, and then it uses the graph which calls for 100% intensity). Sync mode does not have that issue. So essentially run things at 1% when using multiple pump instead of 0% just to avoid this issue.

Also, the situation is different in Constant mode. There is no change from 1%-10%, it simply is in "night mode" as a set low speed (and 0% turns the pump off).

Finally <10% Constant mode (night mode) is definitively still slower than 1% lagoon mode, probably not much on flow, but perceptible by hearing the motor shifting halfway.

New User
    Dont quote me on this but I think I saw in one of the BRS videos a while ago it said don't run them lower that 20%

Quote Originally Posted by yati View Post
    Dont quote me on this but I think I saw in one of the BRS videos a while ago it said don't run them lower that 20%
    I'm pretty sure you're thinking of a different kind of pump.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.