Thread: Reef Octopus VarioS-6

Lighttan001

Reef Octopus VarioS-6

Hello folks.
    I have another question for you.
    (Navigating through Neptune Docs can be a real you know what...)

I have the above mentioned pump connected to Base_Var1 in the Outputs page. I would like to have it slow down to 20% when I hit Feed Cycle A. Can anyone assist me on how I would write that and what is required?
    Thanks again in advance...

Define a profile, type Ramp, Ramp Time 1, Start and End Intensities both 20. Use a suitable name like VarioS_20 or Skimmer_Slow

Then add to the Variable output:

If FeedA 000 Then VarioS_20

(Use the name of the profile you defined)

Please post programming questions in the appropriate area. The Apex 2016 sub-forum is only for things specific to that model, and this is a question applicable to any Apex. Thanks.

I'll move this thread for you.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Lighttan001
    Thank you so much RussM for the feedback and for moving this thread.
    So to further understand what I'm doing. When I hit Feed Cycle A (it's set for 5 min) The pump will take 1 min to go from my present 80% to 20% and stay at 20% for the duration of the Feed Cycle or is it just set for 1 min and i should adjust it to 5?

No. The use of the same intensity values for Start and End in ramp profiles means to just run at that speed without any ramping. In this case, the ramp times means nothing since there is no change in intensities. You could use any ramp time instead of 1 and it would not matter. When you active FeedA, the pump will just drop to 20%. There may be a slight ramp down, but it'd be the pump doing that, not the profile.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Lighttan001
    Ok great thank you so much. Soon as I get home I'll try it.

How does your Reef Octopus VarioS-6 operate with your Apex? Does the Reef Octopus connect directly into an Apex module with an open 0-10V interface? Or did you have to buy a third party controller? If you plug the Reef Octopus return pump directly, do you have to purchase additional cable?

Overall, have you been happy with the Reef Octopus/Apex setup? Did you solve your programming issues? Plus, does the Apex programming really allow the pump to its normal GFO broken down from 0-100%. I have read where the pump and Apex System conflict in actual percentage of GFO settings. It was either a Jabeo or Waveline, but the minimum flow rate through the use of the Apex actually was around 18% before it would shut off. I purchase a Jabeo DC-6000 from Amazon, returned it the next day because it was defective (could've just been the power supply) but I need a reliable pump. I have read some bad reviews on the Waveline customer service to steer me away from their pumps. I know the Neptune Cor pump is in the works, but I am looking for a replace pump on the market now with a higher GFO 900-1500. It would be nice to have it Apex Ready.

Any advice would be helpful particularly on the Reef Octopus. Thanks!
    HORTON

Lighttan001
    Hi Horton.
    I'm very happy with this pump. It is very much controllable by apex. The only extra you need to buy is the cable that connects to apex. I have mine drop to 30% for feeding. But it can go as low as you want. The only thing is you can never drop it to a supper low number because at some point you will reach a the number where it can't push the water up to the display tank mine is around 9%. But it's fully controllable.

Thanks for your response. My I ask what size aquarium your Octo VarioS-6 is pumping? I trying to decide between the VarioS-4 and VarioS-6. I currently have a 95G (40-45lbs live rock) aquarium with a 34.5 gallons sump/refugium. After the installation my new sump, the MarineLand Max-Jet Pump 3000 (with a 775 GFO) I have been using just doesn't have enough GFO. A 1000 GFO may be enough but you always want that extra capability for a larger aquarium. I figure I might be able to regulate the Octo VarioS-6 through Apex and ball or gate value. Do you have an opinion based on your current VarioS-6/Apex setup?
    HORTON

Regular Vistor
    Sooooo glad someone has finally mentioned this pump. I was waiting for the COR too, but its just taking longer than my build can wait. I had planned to replace my old external with a Waveline 6000 (new in box). But after all the problems my customers have had with their Waveline's power supply plus lousy customer service (or none) my confidence in the pump plummeted to zero. I decided it just wasn't worth the hassle down the road and the odds were too high. I received my VarioS-6 today for my 75 gallon. I have to order a different cable now after reading this thread. BRS gave me the wrong advice (Kessil cable) or at least different from what Russ suggested. As far as flow goes I think you'll be ok. I previously ran a Velocity T4 external pump at 1325 @ 0 head and that was sufficient but I always felt could benefit from just a tad greater gph. There are almost no real reviews out there for the VarioS-6 so please someone make a review video. I'm still 4 weeks away from reassembling my system.

Quote Originally Posted by lighttan001 View Post
    Hi Horton.
    I'm very happy with this pump. It is very much controllable by apex. The only extra you need to buy is the cable that connects to apex. I have mine drop to 30% for feeding. But it can go as low as you want. The only thing is you can never drop it to a supper low number because at some point you will reach a the number where it can't push the water up to the display tank mine is around 9%. But it's fully controllable.

New User

I just ordered the VarioS-6 from BRS.

Quote Originally Posted by Chewdoggie View Post
    Sooooo glad someone has finally mentioned this pump. I was waiting for the COR too, but its just taking longer than my build can wait. I had planned to replace my old external with a Waveline 6000 (new in box). But after all the problems my customers have had with their Waveline's power supply plus lousy customer service (or none) my confidence in the pump plummeted to zero. I decided it just wasn't worth the hassle down the road and the odds were too high. I received my VarioS-6 today for my 75 gallon. I have to order a different cable now after reading this thread. BRS gave me the wrong advice (Kessil cable) or at least different from what Russ suggested. As far as flow goes I think you'll be ok. I previously ran a Velocity T4 external pump at 1325 @ 0 head and that was sufficient but I always felt could benefit from just a tad greater gph. There are almost no real reviews out there for the VarioS-6 so please someone make a review video. I'm still 4 weeks away from reassembling my system.

They mentioned the Kessil cable as well. Which cable will actually work with the Pump and my Apex?

Regular Vistor
    This is the answer I got from CoralVue, "Carlos ChaconwroteThe gyre uses a 3.5mm jack.

http://www.coralvue.com/y-cable-for-...terface-module

The same cable will work for the VarioS pumps.

If you want to create your own cable, I would recommend heading over to Neptune's Forum and asking them for a wiring diagram that will work with their controller.

May 18 (5 months ago)
    Anonymous wrote

OK. I've seen that cable listed on many sites indicating that it uses the smaller 2.5mm jack. Thanks for clarifying.

Oct 19 (35 hours ago)
    Lisa wrote

Is the Kessil cable any different? Bulkreefsupply told me to use that with my VarioS-6 cir pump,so I bought it. Then I read on the Neptune forums to use the Y cable (Gyre?). I haven't hooked it up yet because I am trying to figure out if the Kessil I have will work or did I get wrong info from BRS and need to return for the Gyre Y cable?

yesterday 05:52 (27 hours ago)
    Carlos Chacon wrote

We are not sure how the Kessil cable is made so I cannot really answer that question."

Regular Vistor
    Kessil cable uses both 0-10V ports on the jack ( one for color, one for intensity ) so even if the polarity is correct and it fit the pump controller you’d be “wasting” a 0-10V variable port on the Apex.

Use a Y cable not a kessil cable. The kessil cable has the potential danger of shorting your variable speed ports if removed or plugged back in while the unused port is energized because the ring and sleeve could touch the sleeve pin at the same time while being inserted.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.