Thread: Eb8 outlet won't turn off

Frequent Visitor

Eb8 outlet won't turn off

I have outlet 7 on my eb8 that is connected to my eb832 that isn't functioning properly. It won't shut off after it triggers on.

I have a airPump connected to it that is set to come on from 4-6:30am. It comes on but doesn't shut off. I can turn it on via fusion, and it goes on, but if I slide to off it stays on.

I have to unplug it and plug it in to stay off.

I reset the apex already as well.

Thank you.

Frequent Contributor iamchadster's Avatar
    Do you have an eb832 or eb8? I suspect as you say you have a classic in your profile that it's an eb8. Plug the pump into outlet 4 or 8 and try that. Those are the actual relay outlets that are meant for lower power draw devices.
    Chad

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by iamchadster View Post
    Do you have an eb832 or eb8? I suspect as you say you have a classic in your profile that it's an eb8. Plug the pump into outlet 4 or 8 and try that. Those are the actual relay outlets that are meant for lower power draw devices.
    It's plugged into the eb8 which is connected to a eb832.

I will try swapping them out tomorrow and see how it does. Seems to just be this outlet not wanting to turn off. But you might be onto something.

Frequent Visitor
    To clarify the Eb8 has two types of outlets. 1-3 and 5-7 are called Triac outlets. They do not work well with low power draw devices like an air pump. Frequently this results I. The pump turning in but not going off. Outlets 4 and 8 are relay outlets and they do work well with low power draw devices. If your air up,p is on a Triac outlet switch it to a relay outlet and it will start working properly.

Frequent Visitor
    You guys nailed it! That must of been the reason. Switched it into the 8-Outlet and worked fine.

Thank you guys!

New User
    I haven't been able to find documentation on this from Apex--do you know if that exists? I've been having trouble with solenoids failing to turn off when they should, but I don't know if they're classified as "low power."

Quote Originally Posted by hemigrapsus View Post
    I haven't been able to find documentation on this from Apex--do you know if that exists? I've been having trouble with solenoids failing to turn off when they should, but I don't know if they're classified as "low power."
    It's in the comprehensive reference manual. It's at the top under Neptune Links.
    Chad

New User
    Thanks! I had checked that by searching "Triac", but it Neptune calls them "solid state." It says the solid state outlets have a lower max amperage than the 4 & 7, so does anyone know why low power devices are better on the outlets that can handle a higher power draw?

There's a sticky post at the top of this sub-forum which explains.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

New User
    I have an EB8 with a protein skimmer attached to outlet 1. The outlet is programmed to shut off the protein skimmer if the main pump is turned off. This used to work perfectly fine but now the outlet will not shut off if the main pump turns off. The output log shows that the outlet is turning off however in actuality is is not actually shutting off. How do I resolve this?

Can you manually turn it of and on with the switch on the dashboard?
    Chad

New User
    No the dashboard switch has no effect either.

Ok, as a last resort I would plug something into that outlet like a lamp etc just to be sure that it really isn't getting power. If still not good, then go into the module setup screen and try updating the firmware on that eb8. If after that it still doesn't work then I would email Neptune support.
    Chad