Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How To Backup Apex

New User

How To Backup Apex

i was at the breakfast Friday at macna and the one speaker talked about backing up apex, but i can not find where to do this? I have the new apex unit 2016. thank you

Regular Vistor

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

New User
    Okay but they made it sound like it was file that could be backup and restored. not just a printout of config file. thanks for the reply though

Regular Vistor
    Having just had to reinstall a new Apex, I can assure you the "summary" is far from it as well. There are many, many things that the summary does not capture. I recommend screen capturing *every* *single* *screen* to record the various settings. Shame, as it seems such an easy feature to add.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by Erasmus View Post
    Having just had to reinstall a new Apex, I can assure you the "summary" is far from it as well. There are many, many things that the summary does not capture. I recommend screen capturing *every* *single* *screen* to record the various settings. Shame, as it seems such an easy feature to add.
    What things did you find the summary lacking?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Regular Vistor
    Let's see. Off the top of my head, the switch configuration for my breakout box, all of the probe alarms, the entire power subsystem, anything to do with the UI configuration, I'm sure I'm forgetting some (and likely haven't even discovered others that are still missing).

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by Erasmus View Post
    Let's see. Off the top of my head, the switch configuration for my breakout box, all of the probe alarms, the entire power subsystem, anything to do with the UI configuration, I'm sure I'm forgetting some (and likely haven't even discovered others that are still missing).
    ^^^This, plus, for what the summary does capture, you're left with cutting and pasting back in text in dozens of places (at least in my case). Dropping the feature seems a very strange decision indeed.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Gudhjem View Post
    ^^^This, plus, for what the summary does capture, you're left with cutting and pasting back in text in dozens of places (at least in my case). Dropping the feature seems a very strange decision indeed.
    The feature wasn't dropped.. As far as I'm aware, it is being refined for the Apex 2016 and will be included in a firmware update in the not so distant future. There are changes in the new Apex that required some changes to the backup/restore process for the 2016 model. That said, I agree that it's a very important feature. Especially with larger & more complex installs.

Frequent Visitor
    It should also be able to be triggered from Fusion web portal in my opinion. I would rather have the ability to set the apex to back up the current configuration (FULL) on a daily basis - automatically. I would be ok with paying for Fusion web storage if this feature was available!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regular Vistor
    I agree also that an easy way to backup all the programming is critical!! Would be nice if there was a feature in Fusion app to restore existing setup to a new Apex2016 unit if it ever needed to be replaced.
    For the 5 radion lights, 4 vortech pumps, 4 probes, DOS, 2 heaters, WXM, Par unit, 2 Feeders, and 16 plugs having to reprogram everything would almost make me want to go back to manual wall timers.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Brom View Post
    I agree also that an easy way to backup all the programming is critical!! Would be nice if there was a feature in Fusion app to restore existing setup to a new Apex2016 unit if it ever needed to be replaced.
    For the 5 radion lights, 4 vortech pumps, 4 probes, DOS, 2 heaters, WXM, Par unit, 2 Feeders, and 16 plugs having to reprogram everything would almost make me want to go back to manual wall timers.
    I hear you !!! We need the backup/ restore function ! Apex, can you hear us ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by slief View Post
    The feature wasn't dropped.. As far as I'm aware, it is being refined for the Apex 2016 and will be included in a firmware update in the not so distant future. There are changes in the new Apex that required some changes to the backup/restore process for the 2016 model. That said, I agree that it's a very important feature. Especially with larger & more complex installs.
    I hope it is added in the update..seems my unit loses programming sometimes if power goes out.

Regular Vistor
    I completely agree that we need to be able to download a full backup of the system. Russ? with your IT background what do you do?

Here is what just happened. On the outlets outside of my apex I tripped the GFCI unplugging a fluorescent fixture. When the apex came back up it had created a new Apex number of outlets for itself for some reason. I believe all outlets were named with XXXX_2_1 before and now for some reason they are now named XXXX_7_1. All outlets were also turned on by default which meant Heat, ATO and my 2 part would have been just dumping into the system, dangerous.

I was here and unplugged everything and tried to reset the apex, restarted power several times and then saw that an upgrade was available so I ran that thinking it might help. It did not all outlets remained on. Now that I have essentially reprogrammed everything and moved the old outlet labels to the que I wanted to backup my apex.

Any help would be appreciated because I travel frequently and the individuals taking care of the tank could not handle this if it happened when I am gone.

Make sure you check the EB832 firmware - it should be SwRev 007. If it is 006 or lower, update it.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Regular Vistor
    I am on 007 now per my earlier post about the heater outlet.

Quote Originally Posted by drdavis View Post
    I am on 007 now per my earlier post about the heater outlet.
    Now that you have updated the EB832 firmware, the issue you encountered with the EB832 being readdressed should not happen again.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

What about something that can save your programs for each outlet (save it and make it the default program) AND then if power goes out or something else happens, have it default back to YOUR pre programmed settings...NOT the factory settings. Im not a IT guy so dont flame me for asking...I know my chiller will default back to a certain pre set temp if something goes haywire..

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by drdavis View Post
    I completely agree that we need to be able to download a full backup of the system. Russ? with your IT background what do you do?

Here is what just happened. On the outlets outside of my apex I tripped the GFCI unplugging a fluorescent fixture. When the apex came back up it had created a new Apex number of outlets for itself for some reason. I believe all outlets were named with XXXX_2_1 before and now for some reason they are now named XXXX_7_1. All outlets were also turned on by default which meant Heat, ATO and my 2 part would have been just dumping into the system, dangerous.

I was here and unplugged everything and tried to reset the apex, restarted power several times and then saw that an upgrade was available so I ran that thinking it might help. It did not all outlets remained on. Now that I have essentially reprogrammed everything and moved the old outlet labels to the que I wanted to backup my apex.

Any help would be appreciated because I travel frequently and the individuals taking care of the tank could not handle this if it happened when I am gone.
    We just had this exact same factory reset happen as well. Guess what triggered it? Swapping a cat 5 cable for a longer one. Ridiculous, and quite a pain to reprogram 72 outlets and numerous probes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Regular Vistor
    Don't forget that you also lose your probe calibration when you have to reset it, and there's no way to restore that information, even if you have it written down you can't type it in.

New User
    +1 for this feature. i just upgraded from apex classic and i had to manually rename all my breakout box switches and leak detector switches and then copy and paste, which doesn't work very well from the summary file, back into the new apex.

+1 for backups!

Factory reset happened after a power cycle to move the systems to its permanent home. Hours of programing the new Apex since you cant port from old to new all gone in the blink of an eye. To make matters worse, NO BACKUP and the system only comes with enough calibration fluid for one pass! Having a hard time understanding how a piece of equipment this critical cant be backed up and is so fragile with the consequences being potentially disastrous and extremely costly.

My classic continues to run flawlessly but like many of us, I thought the move to the new Apex would be great given the promise of new functionality and features. I thought I had waited long enough to avoid some of the early release issues that inevitably happen with a lot of new products but starting to have doubts...

Regular Vistor

Backups

They need to come up with a way to back it up but the other thing I would say here is that mine is now running extremely well. I even bought a pmup and it has been doing a nice job maintaining the water level in the tank.

New User
    Speaking of backups.. I have a new router and my apex won't connect to fusion. I'm sure a simple reboot would fix it, but I'm super scared I will lose the saved calibration of my PH probes. Is this a real thing? Should I be worried. If I had the PH calibration solutions on hand it wouldn't be any issue. But the fish store doesn't open for a couple days. I can wait to reboot until I have the calibration packs. I'm a noob still, my apologies if this is common knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by JRae7213 View Post
    Speaking of backups.. I have a new router and my apex won't connect to fusion. I'm sure a simple reboot would fix it, but I'm super scared I will lose the saved calibration of my PH probes. Is this a real thing? Should I be worried. If I had the PH calibration solutions on hand it wouldn't be any issue. But the fish store doesn't open for a couple days. I can wait to reboot until I have the calibration packs. I'm a noob still, my apologies if this is common knowledge.

You should not under normal conditions loose calibration with a simple reboot. If there is an issue with your unit it is better to find out now than later so would go for it.

New User
    +1 - I would like to add my wish to have a way to back up my Apex. I have a lot of programming and config that would be difficult and time consuming to redo. I have had one case where I lost it all. Also, to gives you the ability to test changes and go back to a previous version if necessary. Please do this through Fusion or the classic interface. Fusion could back it up to cloud, but some people like me may want a local file. This would allow for restore even if the internet is down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast