Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MACNA 2016 Product Announcements

Frequent Contributor

MACNA 2016 Product Announcements

While I was able to see many of you at MACNA, most all of our Control Freaks could not make it for one reason or another. There will be many videos to come out from various outlets over the coming months, but I wanted to give you all the straight scoop on all our MACNA announcements right here on the community forum. Now I know that the most common question we will be asked is when, when, when, and how much, how much, how much. I will not be able to get too specific on these answers yet, but all of what I am talking about here is planned to be shipping in some quantity this year and the pricing will be in line with similar products already on the market. Also, as is the case with nearly all of our new product releases, products will first be released in North America and then within about 60-90 days to the rest of the world.

So, with all that said, here is what we spent most of our time talking to people about at MACNA:

PMUP - Practical Multi-Purpose Utility Pump: This product is already available and details can be found here. One addition to this product that we discussed at MACNA is that there will be a model available soon that will be shipped with its own power supply so those that do not have a 1Link module or an Energy Bar 832 can make use of it.

EcoTech Radion G4/G4-Pro Support: We demoed a Radion G4 being controlled at MACNA. This support has already been developed but there are some finishing touches still to do on it. We expect this to go out in an AOS update for new Apex first and then after that the firmware for Apex Classic. This will of course require an update to your WXM module firmware as well.

AI Prime/52/26 HD Support: We demoed an AI Prime HD at the event running on an Apex. This was a custom software effort to integrate their API and requires the new Apex to operate. Look for this at some point after the Radion support as there are a few more things to test and tie up with this one.

MaxSpect Ethereal and Gyre Support: We demoed the Ethereal working on an Apex in our booth along side the other two lights mentioned above. These Maxspect products will be supported via our new IoTa standard that puts the power of Apex WiFi control into the hands of the peripheral manufacturers. There is still a number of things Maxspect must do to make this a reality, so if you want to move this one along faster, be sure to let them know!

IMG_7693.jpg

And now the stuff you have really been waiting for! We know, we know, we had these products shown last MACNA. As I told people in my presentations as well as in person, Post-MACNA last year we were not making the progress we wanted and we had too much on our plate. That is the reality of it. I know many out there think we then started the new Apex project but I can assure you that this was not the case. The new Apex was well over a year in the making at that point and we needed to push a few things out to clear our plate and get it done. By late Spring we were back to work on these projects and we made some great advances for our customers beyond the original designs shown at MACNA in DC last year.

FMM - Fluid Monitoring Module: The FMM was brought back to the drawing board and we put in some additional functionality and features. It still has four multi-purpose ports for:

• Flow sensors - we showed the four we intend to sell in 1/4", 1/2", 1", and 2". The 1" and 2" will likely ship with included unions for easy plumbing connection.

• Optical Sensors for fluid level monitoring

• Leak Detection Sensors for water-on-the-floor alerting

In addition to the four ports, we have decided to add a 24V DC Accessory port just like the one on the 1Link and Energy Bar 832. So, when a power supply is connected to the FMM, you can now switch on and off a PMUP for ATO or a 24V DC solenoid valve.

Screen Shot 2016-09-14 at 4.57.47 PM.jpg

Apex ATO: For years people have been using the Apex to DIY their own ATO. Now with the addition of the FMM module and optical sensors, we figured it was time we create a turnkey solution. So, shown at MACNA for the first time in public is our Apex ATO. The Apex ATO includes: FMM, PMUP, Magnetic Bracket, two optical sensors, mechanical float valve, power supply, and 10' of 1/4" tubing. Basically it is everything you need to have a triple redundant ATO! So, we then thought, this thing is so cool, why limit it to just those people with an Apex - and so we made it standalone! That's right, plug in the FMM and put it in your sump at the water level you desire, plug in the power cord, and it will run all by itself topping off your aquarium. No buttons to press, nothing to do but put it in the sump, put the PMUP in a jug of water, and plug it in!

atokit---1.jpg

COR - Now in two versions: The COR was shown last year at MACNA and our initial prototypes were good, but not good enough for us. We had to make it quieter. We had to make it more efficient. We had to make it smaller. So we did! The new COR comes in two versions:

• COR 15 - This submersible pump (that can also be run externally) now has its own external control box but still only requires you connect it up one place - 1Link. With less than 50w of power it is pushing 1500gph and more importantly at 6' of head pressure it still pushes nearly 1000gph! This makes it the perfect pump for mid-sized aquariums. And, you get the added benefit of Apex Fusion control and monitoring along with no power bricks, no wire mess, and no outlet to use on your Energy Bar. On top of all this, the COR 15 uses the latest in pump drive technology making it so silent you will be hard-pressed to hear it running. The COR 15 will work on any Apex that has a free 1Link port either via the 1Link Module or an Energy Bar 832

• COR 20 - This pump is identical in physical size to the COR 15 but with the addition of an External power supply can push over 2000gph! All that flow for less than 100w of power and it is nearly silent. After deciding to do this larger, higher flow version, we thought to ourselves: Why not make this pump work standalone so even those without an Apex could use it and then later on get even more out of it by connecting it should they chose to purchase one? So that's what we did! This COR 20 pump can be run by itself or connected to the Apex.

Both pumps have water level memory, a feed mode, and other safety options built into them.

More details will be released over the next couple of months.

IMG_7681.jpg
    COR1.jpg

I know there will be lots of questions and I will try my best to answer them, but most everything I can say at this point is written above or will be on a future video that will be released.

If you want to see these new products in person, try and come out to Reef-a-Palooza in Costa Mesa, CA this November. It is always a great event with lots to see and tons of corals.

Love all the new product Terrance. I'm really trying to go total control freak on my next setup. The Cor and ATO kit are pieces I really want to include.

What is the input and output pipe sizes for both pumps? Are they the same? 1" in and out"? I'm assuming its not 3/4" as Neptune didn't make a flow meter for that size. Im a little disappointed if it is because I've already planned and purchased all my plumbing for 3/4" out and 1/2" manifolded reactors.
    When the pump enters feed mode does it turn off completely or ramp down to a slow flow rate to keeps the pipe full without back siphoning? Is there a maximum lock feature to prevent display tank floods that maybe can not handle 90 or 100% power? Are there any cool features or programs that can be configured by having the flow meters control the intensity of the COR.

Frequent Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by eschulist View Post
    Love all the new product Terrance. I'm really trying to go total control freak on my next setup. The Cor and ATO kit are pieces I really want to include.

What is the input and output pipe sizes for both pumps? Are they the same? 1" in and out"? I'm assuming its not 3/4" as Neptune didn't make a flow meter for that size. Im a little disappointed if it is because I've already planned and purchased all my plumbing for 3/4" out and 1/2" manifolded reactors.
    When the pump enters feed mode does it turn off completely or ramp down to a slow flow rate to keeps the pipe full without back siphoning? Is there a maximum lock feature to prevent display tank floods that maybe can not handle 90 or 100% power? Are there any cool features or programs that can be configured by having the flow meters control the intensity of the COR.
    Plumbing for discharge will either be 3/4" with the included fitting or 1.25" with an available (possibly included) union. Intake for external applications will be 1" or 1.5" respectively.

As stated above there will be a flow memory option as well as other safety features. That's about all we can say at the moment.

Frequent Visitor
    What steps must Maxspect make to enable controlling the gyre?

Regular Vistor
    It requires their new gen2 gyre controller to play nice. Given the history and no known spats going on between CoralVue and Neptune, it should be something that is achievable.

Frequent Contributor
    We are working directly with Maxspect. We have given them the IoTa specification and all they need to do is integrate it. There is really no role for Coral Vie in this as it is a development project for Maxspect to implement our IoTa spec and we are helping them in that endeavor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regular Vistor
    Awesome update! Looking forward to it all. One thing not mentioned that I was hoping to hear, when do you expect EB832's to be available separate from the full package so I can monitor wattage for all my outlets with my Apex 2016. Thanks again!

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by howieumd View Post
    Awesome update! Looking forward to it all. One thing not mentioned that I was hoping to hear, when do you expect EB832's to be available separate from the full package so I can monitor wattage for all my outlets with my Apex 2016. Thanks again!
    This. 1 of the main reasons I have not switched to the new Apex.

Frequent Contributor
    We should be able to begin shipping Energy Bar 832 to retailers in a matter of weeks. An announcement will be made as soon as that happens.

Frequent Visitor
    How many ports will the ATO use up on the FMM? Is it one optical sensor per jack? In which case I'd presume 2 jacks + the 24v port for the ATO kit?

Are the leak sensors new/different leak sensors? The connection on the FMM looks different from the ALD's RJ11 style jacks. Though i'd be happy to go solder 1/8 jacks on the ends if that's the only difference in the leak sensors.

I was hoping to have something like ATO+Leak+Flow monitoring on one FMM? Is that possible?

Those cor pumps sound so perfect for my situation it's not even funny. the 1500gph is nearly the same as the pump on my smaller tank and the 2000gph is nearly the same as the pump on my bigger tank....i was waiting for it too, but it just took too long. I suspect I'll just buy one anyway, probably the cor 15, since it'll save me a bunch of space in that smaller tank...and then i'll finally have a "backup" pump, heh. I always preach having a backup pump on hand, and don't actually have one.

What are the plumbing thread sizes on the cor pumps?

Any speculation on release date? I'm really trying to finalize this tank build, would be wonderful to get one of these things installed in the next month.

Frequent Visitor
    When you say support for AI such as the hydra 52 HD, does this mean if we already have a new APEX and one of these lights the light can be controlled with the apex in fusion and set up schedules and adjust the light intensity?

Frequent Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Pola0502ds View Post
    When you say support for AI such as the hydra 52 HD, does this mean if we already have a new APEX and one of these lights the light can be controlled with the apex in fusion and set up schedules and adjust the light intensity?
    Yes. New Apex + AI HD lights = control in Apex Fusion (individual channel and intensity across the day) with no additional module to buy.

Frequent Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Xero View Post
    How many ports will the ATO use up on the FMM? Is it one optical sensor per jack? In which case I'd presume 2 jacks + the 24v port for the ATO kit?

Are the leak sensors new/different leak sensors? The connection on the FMM looks different from the ALD's RJ11 style jacks. Though i'd be happy to go solder 1/8 jacks on the ends if that's the only difference in the leak sensors.

I was hoping to have something like ATO+Leak+Flow monitoring on one FMM? Is that possible?

Those cor pumps sound so perfect for my situation it's not even funny. the 1500gph is nearly the same as the pump on my smaller tank and the 2000gph is nearly the same as the pump on my bigger tank....i was waiting for it too, but it just took too long. I suspect I'll just buy one anyway, probably the cor 15, since it'll save me a bunch of space in that smaller tank...and then i'll finally have a "backup" pump, heh. I always preach having a backup pump on hand, and don't actually have one.

What are the plumbing thread sizes on the cor pumps?

Any speculation on release date? I'm really trying to finalize this tank build, would be wonderful to get one of these things installed in the next month.
    Yes, ATO uses two ports. One for water level and one for backup.

Yes, you can use three different sensors on one FMM

Yes you could DIY-adapt an existing leak sensor to the FMM connector standard, but this could also cause malfunction if done improperly.

The rest of the questions are already answered above.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Terence View Post
    Yes. New Apex + AI HD lights = control in Apex Fusion (individual channel and intensity across the day) with no additional module to buy.
    is a expansion module required?

I know people are going to be dissapointed about this but why was it not incorporated into the previous apex? I have the the older version as well, it is a disappointment because im not a fan of the connection issues i have with my hydras now. But you cant make everyone happy! I get it. Keep up the great work Neptune, love the products!

Frequent Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Pola0502ds View Post
    is a expansion module required?

I know people are going to be dissapointed about this but why was it not incorporated into the previous apex? I have the the older version as well, it is a disappointment because im not a fan of the connection issues i have with my hydras now. But you cant make everyone happy! I get it. Keep up the great work Neptune, love the products!
    As stated above, no additional module is required but you need to have the new Apex since integrating this capability from AI required the better hardware to make it happen.

Terence this is good stuff with these updates. I can see some upgrade planning in the very near future. One question that I have is where can I get the Neptune IoTa standard doc for the 2016 Apex? Do we need to sign a developer NDA / dislosure etc...? I assume we would need some sort of license or dev key to get custom HW working with the 2016 Apex?

thx...

New User
    will the ATO solution include the PMUP? if so, is there an option to buy the items separately? i purchased the PMUP when it was released with the assumption the rest of the ATO solution was not far behind. if i can't buy the rest separately, then i will need to return the PMUP i already bought as I won't need more than one.

Quote Originally Posted by jlipnick View Post
    will the ATO solution include the PMUP? if so, is there an option to buy the items separately? i purchased the PMUP when it was released with the assumption the rest of the ATO solution was not far behind. if i can't buy the rest separately, then i will need to return the PMUP i already bought as I won't need more than one.
    The ATO will include the PMUP as stated above. ( The Apex ATO includes: FMM, PMUP, Magnetic Bracket, two optical sensors, mechanical float valve, power supply, and 10' of 1/4" tubing. )

Frequent Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by cypherljk View Post
    Terence this is good stuff with these updates. I can see some upgrade planning in the very near future. One question that I have is where can I get the Neptune IoTa standard doc for the 2016 Apex? Do we need to sign a developer NDA / dislosure etc...? I assume we would need some sort of license or dev key to get custom HW working with the 2016 Apex?

thx...
    Yes, this specification is being provided to key manufacturers on a case by case basis and under NDA. IoTa still falls under our Apex Ready umbrella so it is ultimately up to us who will be able to be part of the program based on many factors. If you represent a company currently making aquarium products in the water flow or lighting areas feel free to send me a message and we can chat about making it happen.

Frequent Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by jlipnick View Post
    The Apex ATO will likely be sold only in kit form although the optical sensors will be provided separately. We cannot make every single part available to our channel or it just gets crazy. That said, at some point some of the bits will likely make it to our online store for replacement needs.

I guess you either will have a backup pump or a pump for one of your reactors

Will the COR20 be available without a power supply for those with an open plug on their 1lnk?

New User
    When will the fmm and new Cor pump be out. I am starting a new build and would like to incorporate in my system if possible?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Frequent Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by jimdambra View Post
    When will the fmm and new Cor pump be out. I am starting a new build and would like to incorporate in my system if possible?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    I encourage everyone to please read the text in the first post:

"Now I know that the most common question we will be asked is when, when, when, and how much, how much, how much. I will not be able to get too specific on these answers yet, but all of what I am talking about here is planned to be shipping in some quantity this year and the pricing will be in line with similar products already on the market."

Frequent Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjim View Post
    Will the COR20 be available without a power supply for those with an open plug on their 1lnk?
    The COR 20 REQUIRES and external power supply to operate. Each 1Link port is not rated for over 50W.

Regular Vistor
    Very interesting news here especially for the radions G4 compliance

One question about the ATO module, will it be possible to replace the PMUP by a solenoid valve for those like me who have direct connection to the reverse osmosis?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast