Thread: Cool wall mount accessory for an iPad control panel

Frequent Contributor

Cool wall mount accessory for an iPad control panel

I saw this and thought a few of you might be interested. It isn't cheap, but wow does it look nice!

http://iportproducts.com/surfacemoun...ntbuttonsintro

Frequent Visitor
    I've looked at the iPort mounts for my home automation and home theater stuff. They are definitely nice mounts but as you noted, they aren't cheap..

I ended up going a cheap route for my iPad home automation controller.. I used one of these from Amazon. If you don't plan on removing your iPad often, these are a great solution and look good too.
    https://www.amazon.com/-Wall-iPad-Mo...ad+flush+mount

We can control the tank, the home theater, the lights, door locks, smoker etc from this ipad as well as the other ipads and smart phones around the house. This particular iPad stays here permanently. I am working on a flush mount solution for the Amazon Fire tablet so I can mount that in the fish room.

New User
    JJust wanted to say quickly that you have inspired me on several occasions watching LA fish guy. I've learned a lot from you thanks

Frequent Visitor
    This one is a tad cheaper... assuming you have an extra ipad laying around.

http://www.vidabox.com/kiosks/vidamo...FQokhgodwKcCUA

Very nice Scott... Terence boy that mount is not cheap. I would probably invest in the new Apex instead...

Very nice, but I would rather have mine so I can pick up and play around with it instead sitting in one location but Nice work..
    Do you have a pix of how you mounted all your APEX gear?

New User
    I realize this is an old thread, but wanted to know if the surface mount iPort with IP buttons could work for Apex control, like quick access to sump lights, feed mode, etc. Terence-- can you comment on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frequent Contributor
    IP buttons will not work. Hard switch buttons connected to a BoB would. I am not up to speed on their offerings.

The only thing you could do with the ip buttons is configure a macro to open apex fusion with a single press then you could access what you want from fusion. Would honestly be easier to just create a shortcut to fusion on the app bar.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

New User
    What is the best way to power an Ipad, with Apex? I know that the aqua bus ports are not the same as USB but can they be used or adapted? I have all new Apex gear (Aug 2019) including Trident ASM FMM FMK WXM EB832 (2).
    As a last resort I realize that I could use one of the outlets on a EB832 but would perfer to us USB.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by gsn1 View Post
    What is the best way to power an Ipad, with Apex? I know that the aqua bus ports are not the same as USB but can they be used or adapted? I have all new Apex gear (Aug 2019) including Trident ASM FMM FMK WXM EB832 (2).
    As a last resort I realize that I could use one of the outlets on a EB832 but would perfer to us USB.
    Something like this may work for you. Search for Power Over Ethernet (POE) to USB adapter. This one from Amazon has a power injector so you don't need a POE Ethernet switch.

https://www.amazon.com/WS-POE-USB-Ki.../dp/B00AH5XCLC

New User

Ipad powered with Apex

Thanks jcgorla

So the ethernet port on the Apex Control Unit would be where the adaptor would plug in?

Aquabus cannot be used to power a USB device. Don’t attempt it - you will fry the iPad.

I see no benefit to using that PoE gizmo - just use a standard Apple cable and a suitable USB charger.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

New User

Ipad Powered with Apex

Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    Aquabus cannot be used to power a USB device. Don’t attempt it - you will fry the iPad.

I see no benefit to using that PoE gizmo - just use a standard Apple cable and a suitable USB charger.
    RussM powered how????????? I was trying to avoid using an outlet on the EN832

Plug it into a regular wall outlet or power strip.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by gsn1 View Post
    Thanks jcgorla

So the ethernet port on the Apex Control Unit would be where the adaptor would plug in?
    No, as stated earlier you cannot use any of the Aquabus ports for power . However, if you want a hidden power solution for a wall mounted iPad, POE is your best bet. Someone suggested using the standard Apple charger and lightning cable, but those don't meet code to use inside a wall, if that's what you are looking for.