View Poll Results: Would you prefer a native mobile app?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

11 84.62%
  • No preference - current app is sufficient

2 15.38%

Thread: Poll: Would you prefer a native mobile app?

New User

Poll: Would you prefer a native mobile app?

Would you like a native app - leveraging functions such as improved interface, widget support for quick access to feed modes, switches etc. and better ability to view your graphs and such or do you not really have a preference?

Frequent Visitor
    Totally second that !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New User

I have raised a ticket with Neptune and linked this poll. I figure of they see there is a call for it they may add it to their road map if they don't have it already

Regular Vistor
    It would be nice to have both but the HTML 5 page if faster on them Neptune to update.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

My biggest complaint with the HTML5 version thus far, Is that every time I switch back to the "app", it has to do a full page reload on my iPhone. That's with using apex fusion as a "native web app."

A native iOS app would definitely be faster, I'm just afraid of it quickly being out-of-date like the old Apex app...

Edit: source:

Edit 2 - I would be much happier if they released an Apex Fusion API - then the community could create our own open source app, best of both worlds IMHO.

Frequent Visitor
    Native iOS app would be very compelling but I agree with last post that enabling an API for the community might be an easier route. I'm sure the html5 app is easier to manage on different mobile platforms.

New User
    I agree the API route would be great and saves then the trouble of maintaining it. They can stick with the HTML5 one.

There isn't even a fusion app for Android at the moment is there?

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben m View Post
    I agree the API route would be great and saves then the trouble of maintaining it. They can stick with the HTML5 one.

There isn't even a fusion app for Android at the moment is there?

No there is not.

A native app is really not useful. You can access Fusion on any web enabled device and this would take away resources from other development. Also a Fusion API would be slower as there is one more link in the fence to jump instead of going directly to Fusion. The only advantage you can get from a API is custom development. A native app would also have to be updated each time Neptune Systems makes an update to the Fusion API.

Quote Originally Posted by cypherljk View Post
    A native app is really not useful. You can access Fusion on any web enabled device and this would take away resources from other development. Also a Fusion API would be slower as there is one more link in the fence to jump instead of going directly to Fusion. The only advantage you can get from a API is custom development. A native app would also have to be updated each time Neptune Systems makes an update to the Fusion API.
    Slower is a highly subjective term. Ideally, the API would be less than 50ms slower than going directly to fusion. The main goal would IMHO be enabling third party apps, which wouldn't have to be updated by Neptune, and could also be faster for their purposes.

Also - the API Would have to be extended when they add new features, but if properly designed, wouldn't mean they had to update everything in the API on every new release.

Frequent Contributor
    First off, everyone should be aware that we did release a new version of the native app just a few months back.

We appreciate the community involvement on this subject - the responses are all well thought out and the discussion is good. Much of what has been said is accurate from all sides.

So, where does that put us?

We are very much in favor of the web-app approach for Apex Fusion as it makes development and roll out of new features much faster for all - just one of the reasons really. That said, there are a number of things that still can only be done well in the native app side. So, at least for iOS, this is why we have chosen to not leave behind entirely the native app route but instead do what many do in this predicament and create a hybrid app - that we recently released. We see this as the best of both worlds for our customers and for our development team as we can bring more innovation to the product faster, with higher reliability across platforms. Look for more updates to the iOS platform at a later time. Since our usage data shows the vast majority of mobile users on the iOS platform, that is why we have decided to focus there. Also, iOS is iOS for the most part. Android is fractioned up so many ways that ensuring a positive experience on the platform across the user base is much more development and test-team intensive. We must focus our limited resources.

Now also brought up above was the idea of an API. While that sounds good in theory, what often ends up happening in these cases is that more harm than good can come from it in small markets such as ours with control of critical life-support systems. We do not have the resources to properly, and ongoing, vet the products of these possible API integrations. This means that the end user experience of the Apex could suffer, bad things could occur to tanks, and we don't want to see that happen. This is not to say that there won't ever be some sort of API integration with another major player, it just means that we are not ever likely to release any API to the general public.

While we appreciate this discussion and feedback, and we do listen, I do not see us straying from the above strategy in the near term.

Frequent Visitor
    The one item that always sticks in my mind is the possibility of calling the feed mode. Maybe a second would be to call a backup of the settings of the device. At least consider these for the roadmap... maybe they could fall under the umbrella of your IOTA map.

New User
    Thanks for the official reply Terence. It's really good that feedback comes through to the users.

I appreciate what you saying and understand the points totally. One thought I would pass on regarding the API would be something along the lines of users being able to control which functions, switches etc. are able to be controlled via the API, possibly tied in to the existing user accounts/permissions. Maybe something your devs could consider?

Also what Scott mentioned, adding just a feed mode widget really would be great and super useful.

Just to clarify my thoughts though, the product is great! We are just looking for some extra bits

Quote Originally Posted by Terence View Post
    First off, everyone should be aware that we did release a new version of the native app just a few months back.

We appreciate the community involvement on this subject - the responses are all well thought out and the discussion is good. Much of what has been said is accurate from all sides.

So, where does that put us?

We are very much in favor of the web-app approach for Apex Fusion as it makes development and roll out of new features much faster for all - just one of the reasons really. That said, there are a number of things that still can only be done well in the native app side. So, at least for iOS, this is why we have chosen to not leave behind entirely the native app route but instead do what many do in this predicament and create a hybrid app - that we recently released. We see this as the best of both worlds for our customers and for our development team as we can bring more innovation to the product faster, with higher reliability across platforms. Look for more updates to the iOS platform at a later time. Since our usage data shows the vast majority of mobile users on the iOS platform, that is why we have decided to focus there. Also, iOS is iOS for the most part. Android is fractioned up so many ways that ensuring a positive experience on the platform across the user base is much more development and test-team intensive. We must focus our limited resources.

Now also brought up above was the idea of an API. While that sounds good in theory, what often ends up happening in these cases is that more harm than good can come from it in small markets such as ours with control of critical life-support systems. We do not have the resources to properly, and ongoing, vet the products of these possible API integrations. This means that the end user experience of the Apex could suffer, bad things could occur to tanks, and we don't want to see that happen. This is not to say that there won't ever be some sort of API integration with another major player, it just means that we are not ever likely to release any API to the general public.

While we appreciate this discussion and feedback, and we do listen, I do not see us straying from the above strategy in the near term.
    Any link to the updated iOS app? (The one I found on the App Store hadn't been updated since 2013)

Also - I totally understand the concerns with the API.

Frequent Contributor

Sorry for the dumb question, but how is this app different than putting a link to ApexFusion on your home page? They look the same to me. ��

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyCT View Post
    Sorry for the dumb question, but how is this app different than putting a link to ApexFusion on your home page? They look the same to me. 🤔
    The app can trigger Apple iOS alerts, a webpage link can't do that.