Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Apex spontaneously COMPLETELY resets!

Regular Vistor

Angry Apex spontaneously COMPLETELY resets!

Are you kidding me?!? I just noticed my tank 'fuge light came on. I went over and saw it was also dosing both Alk and Calcium at the same time! Needless to say this is not what is programmed to happen. Everything seemed fine on Fusion, but when I went to the local web interface I discvoered that the Apex has seemingly completely reset itself, lost all programming, disconnected from Fusion, and gone into default all-on mode!!!!!

On Fusion, it now shows as disconnected. I generated a new token and connected it to Fusion again, and it appears as a totally separate Apex (same serial #) with absolutely zero programming.

To start, I will have to reprogram everything. More worryingly, this might happen again--crashing my tank if I don't happen to be there to see it!

This is bonkers. I'm contacting Neptune support, but at this point I am tempted to rip the thing off my tank and go back to my RKE. As decrepit as it was, I was never in fear that it would trash my tank while I was gone...

New User
    Same thing happened to me last night. I reprogrammed every thing only to have it happen again, but this time my outlets were renamed with very vulgar names. Fusion has been hacked.

Quote Originally Posted by Holowicki View Post
    Same thing happened to me last night. I reprogrammed every thing only to have it happen again, but this time my outlets were renamed with very vulgar names. Fusion has been hacked.
    I doubt that Fusion was the avenue of attack. It's much more likely that someone gained direct access to your Apex, which I why I asked the questions I asked in the thread you started on the subject.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Regular Vistor
    I feel like an idiot. After reprogramming everything last night, I decided it must have been a fluke occurrence and left everythign connected. I was rewarded this evening by returning to a completely WHITE tank that has been dosing supplements since about 9am Not sure if I'm going to be able to save any livestock. Needless to say the Apex is now unplugged. Waiting to hear what support has to say, but fear this is going to be a complete tank loss.........

Something similar happened to mine. Have had the Apex up and running for about 2 months now with NO PROBLEMS. It was disconnected from fusion the other day...then reconnected,then on and off a bunch of times...anyways, my lights were turning on and off for no reason,skimmer the same,ATO doing the same...I unplugged everything and have a ticket open. Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this..

Regular Vistor
    I had a call with support today. First off, kudos to them for reaching out to me after hours and scheduling a call ASAP. Unfortunately, the technician was not able to determine the cause of the factory resets, although he suggested that the "Bus Interface file init" errors in my syslog.txt were likely indicative of file system corruption--although he could find no signs of it at the moment. And he confirmed my unit has the new SanDisk storage media, so no reason to suspect the hardware. He proactively reset the filesystem, but there would seem little reason to believe that will change anything.

Needless to say, that's not particularly reassuring, and I am not inclined to connect the Apex back to any critical parts of my tank until I am given a more complete explanation of what occurred, and some reason to have confidence it won't happen again. The technician assured me he'd forward the diagnostic information he obtained during the session to engineering to look at, but wasn't optimistic they'd have anything further to say.

Not sure what to do at this point, as I have a $1000 paperweight at the moment.

Regular Vistor
    In case anyone is following along at home, the issue has now recurred for a THIRD time. The good(?) news is it happened as I was physically repositioning the Apex, so might indicate that the cause is in fact hardware related--i.e., a loose socket, solder joint, etc. I remain in contact with support and will see what the say.

I just began experiencing system shut downs also.. I never had them before.. It's very strange

from note 7

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by MatroxD View Post
    I just began experiencing system shut downs also.. I never had them before.. It's very strange

from note 7
    Yep, this thing has been known to crash multiple times a day for a while now.

At least I haven't had any problems with my tank. Good luck to the rest of you. Hope you don't lose any livestock

Quote Originally Posted by slibby12 View Post
    Yep, this thing has been known to crash multiple times a day for a while now.

At least I haven't had any problems with my tank. Good luck to the rest of you. Hope you don't lose any livestock
    A buddy of mine just gave me a tip and I'm trying it out.. His did the same thing for a while..

from note 7

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by MatroxD View Post
    A buddy of mine just gave me a tip and I'm trying it out.. His did the same thing for a while..

from note 7
    If it works, let us know what the magic tip is

If it works, let us know what the magic tip is
    Will do.. Let me just see if I have no problems overnight..

from note 7

Regular Vistor
    well? did it work. I've got a new apex here sitting in a box but not going to open it until things get worked out

Quote Originally Posted by Rsaalman View Post
    well? did it work. I've got a new apex here sitting in a box but not going to open it until things get worked out
    Unfortunately no.. And it's agitating the life out of me...

from note 7

Frequent Visitor
    Does everyone on this thread who still has an active issue on their Apex have a current active case open with Neptune support ?

I ask to encourage getting to the bottom of it for everyone here. I know it is super frustrating to have this ongoing. After 3 months of crashing issues on my own unit support was able to sort it out via RMA. Thankfully I never encountered rogue outlet control as others here have noted but I did have crashes every 12-24 hours.

Hope everyone gets their issues straightened out soon

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by Junkycosmos View Post
    Does everyone on this thread who still has an active issue on their Apex have a current active case open with Neptune support ?

I ask to encourage getting to the bottom of it for everyone here. I know it is super frustrating to have this ongoing. After 3 months of crashing issues on my own unit support was able to sort it out via RMA. Thankfully I never encountered rogue outlet control as others here have noted but I did have crashes every 12-24 hours.

Hope everyone gets their issues straightened out soon
    I have an active case still.

I tried changing the port the Apex uses from 80 to a four digit port (like 1234) and it seems to behave much better, but I think I might be still seeing a few disconnects. Haven't had it crash yet where I had to remove and reinsert the power cable though

I have an active case still.

I tried changing the port the Apex uses from 80 to a four digit port (like 1234) and it seems to behave much better, but I think I might be still seeing a few disconnects. Haven't had it crash yet where I had to remove and reinsert the power cable though
    That is what I was advised by my friend to try, but, it still is doing the reset.. Yes, it is, indeed less, however compared to none at all previously, less is far too frequent for me..

from note 7

New User
    HHe your issue been resolved? I'm on the fence about buying this product with these kinds of problems.

Regular Vistor
    Regarding my issue, Neptune has replaced my Apex (so I'm now on unit #3) and the issue has not yet recurred. However, it took ~1 month for it to happen with my prior unit, so I'm not considering myself anywhere near out of the woods yet...

New User
    Years of experience with Apex (since AQC II) have taught me a few things (often the hard way)...
    1) Have a heater controlled by a heater controller that is controlled by apex for redundancy.
    2) Have an ATO like Tunze 3155 that is self contained with multiple redundant safeguards especially since I run ATO through a kalkmixer. For Apex its only there if I want to quickly turn power on/off.
    3) In general don't allow Apex to have sole control of any critical function whether it be 1|2 or things like automatic water change, salinity addition, chillers etc. Have REDUNDANCY! That's a little more problematic with dosers but I don't use them. I do allow apex to control my calcium reactor via a 2nd ph probe. Worse case it melts down the media. Its unreliable for ORP either because of probe bio fouling. Fortunately when it starts to foul ORP climbs so ozone stays off and I clean the probe. Conductivity is much the same except it gets fouled by micro bubbles. Generally I look at conductivity as a ballpark monitor only and wouldn't dream of controlling anything with it.

I now have a 2016 Apex that I've had my share of issues with. I got one because my classic completely died at ripe old age of 2 years. Before it went out completely I was getting all sorts of erratic behavior that got worse over time. If not for the suggestions above it likely would have been a tank wipe probably at any point up until the end.

New User
    unfortunately you can add me to the WTH happened to my program list :-(

Regular Vistor
    Mine is going crazy today too

- - - Updated - - -

I leave the country for two weeks next Tuesday...........

Regular Vistor
    Yeah, fortuntately I haven't had to travel yet. Really don't trust this Apex controller at all yet.

Very unreliable!

Regular Vistor
    Mine was replaced due to the hardware from some of the first units not playing well with an older version on the firmware. I was not keeping my firmware up to date. I talked with the guy on the phone about best practices. Are there any we can get linked here so I can find them when I get back?

New User
    Mine was that couple days too and I got message from mine today but date is something wrong.Screenshot_20161101-110057.jpg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast