Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Apex spontaneously COMPLETELY resets!

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by fablau View Post
    I do have port forwarding to the Apex, so I can control it from outside.
    Doesn't fusion work without port forwarding?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apex spontaneously COMPLETELY resets!

I do have port forwarding to the Apex, so I can control it from outside.
    I strongly suggest that you delete the port forwarding rules in the router and use Apex Fusion instead for access from anywhere. That being said, exactly what ports are you using (public and private) for the Apex?
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jlentz View Post
    Doesn't fusion work without port forwarding?
    Correct - Fusion does not use forwarded ports in any way.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    I strongly suggest that you delete the port forwarding rules in the router and use Apex Fusion instead for access from anywhere. That being said, exactly what ports are you using (public and private) for the Apex?
    Ok, fact is I setup this port forwarding 5 years ago when I bought my Apex, and never had any problems with it until 3 months ago.

Anyway, here is the port forwarding setting I have now:

public port: 2114
    private port: 80

I also had open port 23 to my Apex for possibly control it via Telnet, but I have just removed that (just in case).

Keep in mind though that even though I can use Fusion without port forwarding, there is no way for me (at least per my own knowledge) to re-load settings into the Apex remotely in case it resets by itself as it has been doing for the past 3 months. Whereas with the regular web interface I can load saved settings and restart Apex easily in case it gets stuck or resets by itself.

I have been traveling in Europe for the past month and the regular web interface with port-forwarding has allowed me to restore my Apex with my own custom settings several times, the last time 9 hours ago, after another mysterious auto-reset of the unit. If there is a way to accomplish that with Fusion, please, let me know!

Thank you to everyone

Frequent Visitor
    Guys, I don't know or pretend to know the causes of the issues being experienced, but I would strongly recommend that you never expose such devices as Apex to the internet.

Port forwarding telnet (on ANY port) is asking for trouble.

Use fusion for remote access to the Apex unit or set up a secure VPN into your network if you must have local access to the Apex or any other connected device.

I also had open port 23 to my Apex for possibly control it via Telnet, but I have just removed that (just in case).
    Have you had any more resets since removing external telnet access?

Not so far. Hopefully that was it! I am just wondering, in case that was the cause, why the problem never appeared for 5 years until 3 months ago.

Also, is there a way to restore the Apex settings via Fusion in the same way we can do with the Load/Save panel of the regular web interface?

If there is a way to do it in fusion, I have yet to find a way to save/load there.

The problem is probably some really buried and hard to reproduce bug that made it's way into a firmware you downloaded before the issues started. Could also be a brute force hacker or isp that started sending just the wrong signal into your apex. If you're feeling adventurous one day, You could always try reenabling your router settings back to what they were and reverting to an old firmware (prior to any issues) for a day. If That solves the problems with the router set the way it was, it might help Neptune engineering locate potential causes for a future firmware update. If it doesn't solve the problem and it shows the reboots then you know without a doubt it's coming from the router side.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    If there is a way to do it in fusion, I have yet to find a way to save/load there.

The problem is probably some really buried and hard to reproduce bug that made it's way into a firmware you downloaded before the issues started. Could also be a brute force hacker or isp that started sending just the wrong signal into your apex. If you're feeling adventurous one day, You could always try reenabling your router settings back to what they were and reverting to an old firmware (prior to any issues) for a day. If That solves the problems with the router set the way it was, it might help Neptune engineering locate potential causes for a future firmware update. If it doesn't solve the problem and it shows the reboots then you know without a doubt it's coming from the router side.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.
    Thank makes sense, thank you Zombie.

So far so good, so I'll let you know if the problem appears again. And if anyone knows how to load/save settings in Fusion, please, let us know! If that's not possible, Neptune team, please, add that feature to Fusion!!

Thanks

Just to give you an update guys, since I closed port 23 on my router the problem hasn't appear again. Keep this in mind if you have similar issues!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123