Thread: PMUP noise / vibration levels?

Regular Vistor

PMUP noise / vibration levels?

Anyone else running the PMUP have comment to how much noise / vibration it's giving off?

Mine seems much louder than I would have expected for a pump that size, to the point it's far louder than the DCS7000 return pump at 80%, or the skimmer. It is plumbed via John Guest 3/8 x 1/2 push fit adapter and 1/2 LDPE RO line onto a carbon reactor that was previously run via manifold off the return. When flow restricted about 20% with an inline ball valve to function correctly with the reactor, the noise is even worse and can be heard across the room (none previously).

I know Terence stated he has been running one in testing on his IM fusion 10 at work for the return pump, but I can't see how he would be able to stand the noise if that were the case. Going to try a few things to isolate the pump as much as possible, but even when holding it to isolate vibration there is still a ruckus.

Normal, faulty, or am I just too sensitive?

Lighttan001
    I just got mine yesterday and I'm getting the same thing its way to loud and when I try to adjust the flow it gets worse. Kind of not happy with this. I was hoping to free up the outlet my pump is plugged into and i had to plug it back in and sideline the utility pump. I also put it in a low density sponge to see it that help with no help.

Lighttan001
    And by the way. Work environment and home are completely different with ambient noise. I have my tank in my bedroom. The way its setup now its just a whisper of a hum. Working from a silent down flow from the DT, the water flowing into my filter socks pours into a sponge that i have in each sock reducing the water noise to practically nothing (I have to be right on it to hear the water flow) and I'm using the Red Sea Max E 260 with the Octopus VarioS 6.

I just installed my new ATK and am surprised at how loud the pmup is. It’s louder than the shadow overflow. varios 4 return pump, the Skimz skimmer and the 2 mp10s I’m running combined. Happy with the operation but not the noise level

Frequent Visitor
    I’ll have to test mine with a dB meter when I get home, but mine is louder than my IceCap skimmer but still way quieter than the Tunze ATO pump that it replaced.

Edit-
    I just checked - under water in my 10 gallon ATO reservoir it’s about 60 dB a few inches away from the tank noticeable, but not loud, by any means. It’s definitely louder as the water level drops, but still not objectionable, IMO.