Thread: Would you buy the lunar module again?

Frequent Visitor

Would you buy the lunar module again?

Hello all!

My moonlights are currently a couple 4W nightlight bulbs. I've been using these for moonlights for about 15 years now, but I'm thinking about upgrading to LED. I have 2 choices:

1. Put together a DIY LED setup, cost ~$20
    2. Use the APEX Lunar Module, cost ~$100

I don't mind the cost provided there is additional value in the Lunar Module.

I like the idea of doing moon cycles, but at the same time I'd hate for my tank to be totally dark some nights after lights out. Right now I have the tank lights shut off at 10PM and run moonlights till 1AM, then pitch black till 10AM when the lights start coming on again.

I guess my real question is, for those who have it, would you buy the lunar module again? Do you find it adds value over standard on/off moonlights?

Whiskey

Frequent Visitor
    I had looked into this and the key difference I am aware of is that the LSM will dim based on the phase of the moon. No DIY LED driver small enough to drive a single or just a few LEDs is dimmable that I have found. For a simple single LED with simple on/off command, $20 is about right, then add about $10 for each additional LED.

Now if you get up to 4 LED's there is a low current dimmable LED driver, but it alone will cost you $26, so now you are at about $65 for a moon line setup. A 4 LED LSM setup will only cost $50 and does not have to be built.

My only beef with the LSM is they use a single RB LED which is very artificial looking. I find the best moonlight is a blend of violet, blue and green LED's. I set these channels on my Hydra and it looks great. Too many LED's though, so maybe one day I will build my on with only 3 LED's in a single DIY lens.