Thread: Programming experience required?

New User

Programming experience required?

Hello,

So I’ve finally decided to bring my Aquarium into the 21st century and get a controller system for it. I go away quite a lot on business so it’s going to reduce my stress levels worrying about my tank while I’m away. It’s going to reduce my brother’s stress levels too because he’s the poor sap that has to come round and check on my fish while I’m away.

After looking at a few control and monitoring solutions I came upon Apex and from what I can gather it does everything that I need it to do. I found a good website where I can get WIFI enabled Aquarium equipment too so I think I have everything lined up ready to go. I’m looking forward to viewing my fish on the Amcrest while I’m away.

Amcrest-ProHD-1080P-camera-215x300.jpg

The only slight fly in the ointment is that I’ve been reading the forums here and it seems like the setup is pretty technical. I’m reasonably tech-savvy, but there appears to be a lot of programming required, so I just want to ask how complicated the process is. Do you need some kind of programming background or is it relatively straightforward?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Frequent Visitor
    It's pretty simple. There is a comprehensive reference manual that is pretty good about explaining things and giving examples.

The wizards are good for simple things and to get started, but when you want to add switches etc you will need to go to the advanced programming, which isn't that hard.

Check out the manual, read these forums to see what others are doing and then ask questions

New User

Programming experience required?

Ok, thanks for the response. I guess I'll give it a go. I'm sure I'll figure it out.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by Aegaeon View Post
    Hello,

So I’ve finally decided to bring my Aquarium into the 21st century and get a controller system for it. I go away quite a lot on business so it’s going to reduce my stress levels worrying about my tank while I’m away. It’s going to reduce my brother’s stress levels too because he’s the poor sap that has to come round and check on my fish while I’m away.

After looking at a few control and monitoring solutions I came upon Apex and from what I can gather it does everything that I need it to do. I found a good for sale website where I can get WIFI enabled Aquarium equipment too so I think I have everything lined up ready to go. I’m looking forward to viewing my fish on the Amcrest while I’m away.

Amcrest-ProHD-1080P-camera-215x300.jpg

The only slight fly in the ointment is that I’ve been reading the forums here and it seems like the setup is pretty technical. I’m reasonably tech-savvy, but there appears to be a lot of programming required, so I just want to ask how complicated the process is. Do you need some kind of programming background or is it relatively straightforward?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frogfish View Post
    It's pretty simple. There is a comprehensive reference manual that is pretty good about explaining things and giving examples.

The wizards are good for simple things and to get started, but when you want to add switches etc you will need to go to the advanced programming, which isn't that hard.

Check out the manual, read these forums to see what others are doing and then ask questions

Thanks again, managed to get the issue sorted by changing some of the advanced settings. Did help having a read through the manual so a good shout thanks.