Thread: setting a max time for kalk ATO to run

New User

setting a max time for kalk ATO to run

I currently have the following simple program for my kalk ATO
    Fallback OFF
    If pH > 8.20 Then OFF
    If pH < 7.75 Then ON

I would like to limit the amount of ATO being dosed in a single shot (limit time being run)to help prevent any spikes.
    Thanks for any help!

Frequent Visitor
    I don't understand the question.

ATO is Auto Top Off and it adds water to the tank to replace evaporated water. From your code this is controlled only by pH and not water level.

What do you want to happen after the time? It shuts off, now what? stay off, stay off for a time, come right back on

New User
    I am looking to control my auto top off which has kalk mixed in. I am looking to help stabilize Ph in the tank by having it hooked up and controlled by the apex.
    I would like to limit the time on to 30 seconds or so had have it programmed to delay turning back on to prevent large jumps in ph when a lot is added at once.
    I hope this clears things up. Sorry for the confusion.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a float valve on the system as a back up but this is interlaced with a float switch that controls a selonoid which opens the gravity fed ato line when water is low.

Frequent Visitor
    OK, it you can do it with a couple of virtual outlets.

In the real outlet you want to control, lets call it TheATO, stick this at the end

If Outlet vATO = ON Then OFF

Create this virtual outlet.

vATO
    If Outlet vResetATO = ON Then OFF
    If Outlet TheATO = ON then ON
    Delay 000:30 Then ON

After TheATO is on for 30 seconds this will turn on and when it comes on The ATO will turn off. This outlet will stay on until vResetATO comes on.

vResetATO
    Set OFF
    If Outlet vATO = ON Then ON
    Delay xxx:xx Then ON

When outlet vATO comes ON it delays and then comes on. When it comes on vATO turns off and the cycle starts over again.

New User
    It is telling me "delay" is not valid. I assume "defer" is acceptable?

Frequent Visitor
    Sorry. I thought defer but typed delay. Defer is what it should be.

New User
    Thank you immensely for your help!

New User
    Any reason why this would make my ato outlet turn on and off rapidly? I hear the audiable clicking of it turning on and off. Once I turn these two virtual outlets off, the problem is solved.

Frequent Visitor
    I never make mistakes. I thought I made one last year, but I was wrong.

I looked, carefully this time, and there are bunches of errors in my code.

One was using TheATO as a switch to control this stuff. That will not work cause TheATO is itself being controlled by this stuff. So this is what I came up with.

A third virtual outlet. This one will have all the code you currently have in TheATO.

vTheATO
    code from TheATO

TheATO
    Set OFF
    If Outlet vTheATO = ON Then ON
    If Outlet vATO = ON Then OFF

vATO
    Set OFF
    If Outlet vTheATO = ON Then ON
    If Outlet vResetATO = ON Then OFF
    Defer 000:30 Then ON
    Defer xxx:xx Then OFF

vResetATO
    Set OFF
    If Outlet vATO = ON then ON

now lets look at it all.

Normally everything is OFF

Stuff happens and you need to top off so vTheATO switches to ON

TheATO sees vTheATO is ON so it is on, vATO is off so nothing, TheATO is ON. vATO sees vTheATO is ON so it switches to on, vResetATO is not on so nothing, vATO is switching to on so Defer ON stops it, so vATO is still OFF. vATO is OFF so vReset ATO is OFF.

30 seconds pass and vTheATO is still ON. vATO proceeds and when it gets to the Defer it has been trying to come on for 30 seconds so the Defer lets turn ON. TheATO sees that vATO is ON so it shuts OFF. vResetATO sees vATO is on so it comes ON.

vATO sees that vResetATO is ON so it is off, but the Defer OFF will not let it turn off so it stays ON. TheATO continues to stay off.

Eventually xxx:xx passes and the Defer lets vATO turn OFF. vResetATO turns OFF. TheATO sees that vATO is off and comes back on.

And we're back to waiting for the 30 seconds to pass before vATO comes on again.

If during the xxx:xx wait while the ATO is off if conditions turn vTheATO OFF and back ON again the first ATO dose will still wait out the rest of the xxx:xx before it starts.

If your current code to control TheATO is simple, like it comes on and off with just a single switch, you can skip the third virtual outlet and just stick the if in bout TheATO and vATO. If it is more complex I would STRONGLY recommend the third virtual outlet caus no matter how much you say not that you will keep the code the same in both places, eventually you will screw up and it will be different and that will cause a problem that might be real hard to see happening and hard to find. But if you stick the code one place, the virtual outlet, there is no possibility that you can have 2 sets of code.

New User
    I use this code for a PMUP pushing RODI water through an Aquamedic KS-5000 :

Fallback OFF (In the event of a loss of comms I want this pump off)
    OSC 000:00/000:15/010:00 Then ON (I want the ato to run just 5 seconds every 10 minutes when the system says that it's OK)
    If S_Norm OPEN Then OFF (This is my normal level float switch in the sump. Open = good level, Closed = add water)
    If S_High OPEN Then OFF (High level float switch in my sump... safety measure)
    If pH > 8.40 Then OFF (Safety measure to stop ATO / Kalk top up if the pH is high)
    Defer 000:10 Then ON (Defers the actual run time in the event of a float switch bump...reducing the "on" time above by 10 seconds)

This gives me a very steady addition of top up water. The next step would be to reduce the flow rate by using a DOS instead of the PMUP.

Frequent Visitor
    The DOS is kind of expensive for an ATO system. My water is in the basement so it has about 12' of head so a lot of ATO pumps will not cut it. I use one from Avast Marine that has no problem handling the head. The water would flow out at quite a rate but a simple ball valve in the line allows me to have whatever flow I want.

If you want a peristaltic pump there are lots that are lots cheaper than the DOS if you just want a low flow rate. BRS sells one that is about 1.1 ml/min ( mine is 1.2) that I use for dosing and they have a faster one that is about 50 ml/min that should be fine for top off.

I have a time safety on mine. If the pump runs for 5 minutes and the tank is not topped off then something that needs a human is wrong and I stop and keep the ATO off until I check it.

New User
    The DOS isn't the cheapest peristaltic pump but I already have three of them so my pump room wouldn't look "right" with something else!

Frequent Visitor
    It is better to look good than to feel good