Thread: Programming Switch on Breakout Box

New User

Programming Switch on Breakout Box

Hi,

I want to program a non latching normally open switch on breakout box to act is a feed mode button to make it easier for the misses to use when she goes to feed the tank when im away as id rather her using that than going in about the controller. So i just want that she presses it once then it turns off skimmer/return pump and power heads for say 3 mins then everything then starts backup automatically.

Create a virtual outlet. Name it "FeedControl". Program it:

Set OFF
    If SwFeed CLOSED Then ON
    Min Time 003:00 Then ON

Then, in the outlets to be shut off, add at the end of each existing program:

If Outlet FeedControl = ON Then OFF
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

New User
    Thanks

New User
    Not trying to jack this thread, but it is the closest thing I could find regarding a breakout box. Are you able to use a breakout box to run a power strip with On/Off toggle switches such as the popular American DJ power center? Are you still able to control any of the devices plugged into the power center which is connected to the Apex via the breakout box?

Quote Originally Posted by rskarvan View Post
    Not trying to jack this thread, but it is the closest thing I could find regarding a breakout box. Are you able to use a breakout box to run a power strip with On/Off toggle switches such as the popular American DJ power center? Are you still able to control any of the devices plugged into the power center which is connected to the Apex via the breakout box?
    No, you cannot connect a DJ power center to a breakout box. The breakout box allows you to connect up to 6 INPUTS; they are not outputs. You cannot directly control anything w/ a BoB; the OPEN or CLOSED state of the connects inputs (usually float switches or other forms of dry-contact switches) is used in programming to in turn control when an output such an and EnergyBar outlet is ON or OFF.

Instead of hijacking an existing thread with a post that is only marginally related to that thread, please just start a new thread next time.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    Create a virtual outlet. Name it "FeedControl". Program it:

Set OFF
    If SwFeed CLOSED Then ON
    Min Time 003:00 Then ON

Then, in the outlets to be shut off, add at the end of each existing program:

If Outlet FeedControl = ON Then OFF

Reviving this thread for clarification because I didn't get it to work. Here's what I've done so far.

I connected a push button switch to slot 1 and ground on breakout box. In dashboard, named switch 1 'FEEDSW'. Created a vitual output named 'Feed-ShutOFF' and added the code above, changing SwFeed to FEEDSW. Then from the dashboard I clicked the gear wheel on the outlets for the skimmer, ATO, and return pump to add the If Outlet code, changing FeedControl to Feed-ShutOFF. When I push the button, nothing happens. Neither of the three outlets is switched off. Where do I start troubleshooting this?

Quote Originally Posted by Polarcollision View Post
    Reviving this thread for clarification because I didn't get it to work. Here's what I've done so far.

I connected a push button switch to slot 1 and ground on breakout box. In dashboard, named switch 1 'FEEDSW'. Created a vitual output named 'Feed-ShutOFF' and added the code above, changing SwFeed to FEEDSW. Then from the dashboard I clicked the gear wheel on the outlets for the skimmer, ATO, and return pump to add the If Outlet code, changing FeedControl to Feed-ShutOFF. When I push the button, nothing happens. Neither of the three outlets is switched off. Where do I start troubleshooting this?
    Two things.

1. Never start the name of any outlet or switch with a reserved system keyword like Feed, Sun, If, Then, etc. Its okay if it's in the middle or end of the name, you just can't start with it.

2. Verify that the switch shows closed when you press and hold it on the dashboard.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    Two things.

1. Never start the name of any outlet or switch with a reserved system keyword like Feed, Sun, If, Then, etc. Its okay if it's in the middle or end of the name, you just can't start with it.

2. Verify that the switch shows closed when you press and hold it on the dashboard.

Thank you, changing the name to SWfeed worked to shut off pumps as soon as I saved. Problem 1 solved.

Problem 2: SWfeed is always closed. Here are pics of how it is wired. I switched the line "If SwFeed CLOSED Then ON" to "If SwFeed OPEN Then ON". It seems to work as intended now. Does anything seem like a bad idea?
    IMG_4498.jpgIMG_4500.jpgIMG_4501.jpg

Frequent griper
    From looking at the picture I would suspect that the soldering on the switch is bad.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Walker View Post
    From looking at the picture I would suspect that the soldering on the switch is bad.
    there is no soldering. I only wrapped the wire securely. Is that the issue? it has good contact, but I'm not an electronics person...

Frequent griper
    Best to solder it. Find a friend who can if you don't have the ability yourself.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Walker View Post
    Best to solder it. Find a friend who can if you don't have the ability yourself.
    I can solder it.

I'm still not clear if the switch is an always closed switch though. Any way to tell?

And then if it is always closed, is there something I'm not aware of that could be an issue from using a switch that's always closed instead of always open?

Quote Originally Posted by Polarcollision View Post
    I can solder it.

I'm still not clear if the switch is an always closed switch though. Any way to tell?

And then if it is always closed, is there something I'm not aware of that could be an issue from using a switch that's always closed instead of always open?
    Check it with a multimeter on the ohm or ring setting. It is better if it's a normally OPEN switch for this application since you are initiating a different than normal state with it, so thing would "fallback" to feed if the switch failed or was unplugged.

New User
    Ok this is my first time writing on the forums. I can’t even figure out how to start a thread. But this is the closest one to my issue so hoping someone can help me. I’m trying to accomplish two things.

1. I want to set up a feed cycle where everything ramps down at a certain time for a feeding which I got down. But at that time everything is ramped down. I want to turn an outlet on for only 3 seconds. How do I program an outlet to turn on and off for only a few seconds? I can’t use the “light” program cause it only does min. I am wanting to turn a dosing pump on that is dosing frozen food. And I want it done automatically 1-2 a day.

2. I’m wanting to hook up a button. That when activated ramps down Vortech and return pump which I have figured out. But the part I don’t have figured out is once again I want an outlet to turn on for 3 seconds to dose the frozen food. I’m setting this up in case I ever manually want to tell my system to do an extra feeding.

See my response in the other thread you posted in.

Frequent Visitor
    I have a COR20 pump. How do I modify the settings that @RussM posted in response 2 so instead of turning off the pump, I reduce the speed?

Quote Originally Posted by oseymour View Post
    I have a COR20 pump. How do I modify the settings that @RussM posted in response 2 so instead of turning off the pump, I reduce the speed?
    https://forum.neptunesystems.com/sho...-5-03-and-4-53