Thread: Hey., I'm new. Can't decide new or classic

New User

Hey., I'm new. Can't decide new or classic

Hi all,

im from the uk and want to get my first aquarium controller. Been in the hobby for about 15 years.

should I wait for the new 2016 apex at over £800 without the new EB or spend the £500 on the classic that includes everything I need.

also future thinking. If apex does release a ALK probe what's the chances it will be classic compatible.

Now i I have finally chosen apex... Just this last hurdle I need recommendations on. I don't want to keep throwing money at this hobbie :/

Quote Originally Posted by Gwil View Post
    Hi all,

im from the uk and want to get my first aquarium controller. Been in the hobby for about 15 years.

should I wait for the new 2016 apex at over £800 without the new EB or spend the £500 on the classic that includes everything I need.

also future thinking. If apex does release a ALK probe what's the chances it will be classic compatible.

Now i I have finally chosen apex... Just this last hurdle I need recommendations on. I don't want to keep throwing money at this hobbie :/
    I own both, a 2016 on my main reef and two "classics" on my freshwater tank and my work tank. Only you can decide if the features of the 2016 are worth it for you. Personally, I think the EB832's power monitoring is absolutely worth the extra $$$. Also, having the 1-link ports built into the EB832's for my DOS and WAV is a really nice plus.

In regards to the ALK monitor, I would think it will be classic compatible as the "demo" version used a BNC connector, like a pH probe. I suppose there's a fair chance that they go "1 link" but those devices are compatible with the classic as well, it just requires an additional module.

New User
    Thanks for the response Justin. However the new PB won't be in the UK according to what I've read until end of next year. I don't really want to wait that long, I suppose the classic is a cheaper and more practical option at the moment. Otherwise I will pay £800 now for the new interface then another X end of next year for the new bar.

Just to add another equation. UK classic does not power monitor! And im not sure if the 2016 version will either. So double check before buying.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by vinnie View Post
    Just to add another equation. UK classic does not power monitor! And im not sure if the 2016 version will either. So double check before buying.
    Thanks vinnie. I am just hearing this now also. I am leaning towards the classic now. Will look to buy it by the weekend. H2o aquatics will have it on their site with all the features before tomorrow morning so will check it out and make a decision

Quote Originally Posted by vinnie View Post
    UK classic does not power monitor!
    A bit of clarification: The Apex Classic & Gold controllers, regardless of geographic market, do have power monitoring. What vinnie means is that Energy Bar 6 sold in the UK does not have an Amps probe/sensor. This is different than power monitoring in Apex terminology.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

New User

Wonder why UK version of EB6 is lacking amps sensor

Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    A bit of clarification: The Apex Classic & Gold controllers, regardless of geographic market, do have power monitoring. What vinnie means is that Energy Bar 6 sold in the UK does not have an Amps probe/sensor. This is different than power monitoring in Apex terminology.

I've recently purchased EB6 since I don't live in the states. I knew EB6 didn't have the amps sensor before i made the purchase but really can't understand why they left if out as it's obvious EB6 is much more expensive compared to EB4 or EB8. Use of 220/240V cannot be a reason.

Hope they don't leave out the amp sensor again for the UK version of EB832.