Thread: Cannot take apart to clean

New User

Cannot take apart to clean

For some reason no matter how hard I try I cannot get the impeller assembly out of either of my wavs for cleaning. The pumps have been in use about 3 months and the only way I can clean it is to soak and run it in vinegar, I cannot take it apart other than the impeller cover. Does anyone else have this problem or advice on how to get them off, I am trying pretty hard following the guide for maintenance trying to twist counterclockwise. Anything?

NSI Member
    Same problem. I can't get the impeller assembly to turn and release. I'm afraid I'll break it if I use more force.

New User
    I just spoke with Neptune on the phone and was told the best way to do it is to use a scissors or other wide mouthed opening (pliers) that can be used to get both tabs at once and use that to turn the assembly counterclockwise. I voiced concern for breaking the tabs and was told it shouldn't be a problem. I am gonna try this myself later tonight and hopefully it isn't an issue. I'll keep everyone updated.

New User
    I have found the easiest way is to simply lay the WAV on it's side and tap(with a flat head and hammer or similar) on the tab that would allow it to loosen if you are tapping in the down position. It will actually release really easy this way... even if it has coralline built up all over it.

Frequent Contributor iamchadster's Avatar
    Yes they are tight but will ultimately come loose. I like the idea of putting something firmly against both sides for the maximum amount of contact on the tabs, but am not sure about the hammer. I have also found that the covers are very delicate. The easiest way I have gotten them off is too literally take a small spatula or very fine flathead screwdriver and gently twist to pop it off. Grabbing the whole thing and squeezing it or pulling it with my whole hand resulted in me breaking one of them.
    Chad

Regular Vistor
    Another piece of advice. When you do take the impeller out for cleaning. Do not set it down even remotely close to the Pump. The magnet is so strong that it will pull the impeller between 6-9 inches away. It pulls it with such force it will break the impeller shaft. Costing you $50 for a new impeller, $15 flat shipping fee, and $ tax. So for a new impeller its $70.

Neptune really needs to re-think the $15 flat fee for every replacement part. I just received a replacement part for the DDR last week. For a $10 item I had to pay $25.

control freak wantabe
    Old thread, but ...

I'll add it's really easy to break a blade on the propeller. It takes so much force to remove the unit, when it did release, my follow thru snapped off one blade. $70 lesson.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by woodnaquanut View Post
    Old thread, but ...

I'll add it's really easy to break a blade on the propeller. It takes so much force to remove the unit, when it did release, my follow thru snapped off one blade. $70 lesson.
    I'm telling you, if you simply tap on the side of one of the tabs, it will release VERY easily... you do not need to tap very hard. If you try and do it with your thumbs on both tabs, it's virtually impossible. It just needs that sudden jolt of light force to release it. I actually use the side of some linesman pliers or equivalent.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadfield View Post
    I'm telling you, if you simply tap on the side of one of the tabs, it will release VERY easily... you do not need to tap very hard. If you try and do it with your thumbs on both tabs, it's virtually impossible. It just needs that sudden jolt of light force to release it. I actually use the side of some linesman pliers or equivalent.
    I will vouch for this. Worked like a charm. I didn't even need a hammer - just took a large flat head screwdriver and placed the blade at the point where one tab touches the round part. Tapped pretty gently and it moved quite easily. Thanks @Broadfield for the tip!

Regular Vistor
    I used a plumbers wrench to grasp the cover right below the impeller (NOT the impeller). Came right off. Pushing with thumbs was pointless.

Frequent Visitor
    perhaps a specialized wrench could be made, it is almost impossible to remove the impeller without causing damage

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ricowind View Post
    perhaps a specialized wrench could be made, it is almost impossible to remove the impeller without causing damage
    I do not think so. All you need is pliers that cover both tabs completely. A slight turn and it come off/out very easily.

It is important that the pliers cover both tabs completely.

Regular Vistor

WAV Impeller Removal Tool?

Has anyone tried one of these:

https://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-s...WAV-pumps.html

This is the only site I've seen them on. Unfortunately they're in ".ca".

Quote Originally Posted by Radiata View Post
    Has anyone tried one of these:

https://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-s...WAV-pumps.html

This is the only site I've seen them on. Unfortunately they're in ".ca".
    That is a ripoff of a .stl that Neptune provided publicly to anyone that wants it. You can print it yourself or pay a 3d printing company to print it for you.

https://forum.neptunesystems.com/sho...-Impeller-Tool

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Regular Vistor
    Thank you zombie!

Regular Vistor
    do the tabs go in? I'm not sure I'm pushing them the right way. I'd love a photo of this

Quote Originally Posted by frank10 View Post
    do the tabs go in? I'm not sure I'm pushing them the right way. I'd love a photo of this
    Rotate the impeller assembly counterclockwise using the tabs.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    Rotate the impeller assembly counterclockwise using the tabs.
    I figured it out 2 minutes after I posted. I also printed the 3d tool from neptune, it works like a charm.

I did shatter the prop, so I'm ordering a new one.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    That is a ripoff of a .stl that Neptune provided publicly to anyone that wants it. You can print it yourself or pay a 3d printing company to print it for you.

https://forum.neptunesystems.com/sho...-Impeller-Tool

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    You say rip off but very reasonably priced for those with out a 3D printer. compare that to the 3D printed random nozzles that are 3 times the price and use half the filament.

Frequent Visitor
    I have an extra unused one for sale $12 shipped to US

Regular Vistor
    I cant even take the cover off.

As far as the tool, I just bought one on eBay, $8

Regular Vistor
    The tool helps

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamane View Post
    I cant even take the cover off.

As far as the tool, I just bought one on eBay, $8
    Replying to my own message. Got the cover off. It was simpler than I expected, but dummy me made it more complicated.

Until tool comes in I just dipped in citric acid and RO for 24 hours brushed with a toothbrush came out new. Next time ill clean impeller ( when I have the tool).