Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ideas, Complaints, Frustrations, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    If you prefer to do it this way, that’s fine. But direct connection to a computer is neither the recommended way nor an easier way to update firmware and web pages for an Apex Classic model, because of the necessity to configure static IP addressing on both the computer and Apex Classic.
    True but it's s much easier with my Classic's since they already have an ethernet cable attached to them I just unplug the end from the bridge and into my laptop. My Apex has a static IP and since I use the wireless on my laptop for real surfing I just keep the ethernet set to a static IP on the same range as the Apex and it makes the process so much easier than physically moving equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by cypherljk View Post
    True but it's s much easier with my Classic's since they already have an ethernet cable attached to them I just unplug the end from the bridge and into my laptop. My Apex has a static IP and since I use the wireless on my laptop for real surfing I just keep the ethernet set to a static IP on the same range as the Apex and it makes the process so much easier than physically moving equipment.
    I do the exact same thing but with a 50ft Ethernet cable to my PC that surfs with wifi. Why spend the time running two cables when you can just run one and keep Ethernet port on static.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

NSI Member
    I am with you on the DDR electronics. Why are they not potted or fully sealed? I have had mine repaired/replaced twice and currently one of the sensors is not working on one of my DDRs.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    I do the exact same thing but with a 50ft Ethernet cable to my PC that surfs with wifi. Why spend the time running two cables when you can just run one and keep Ethernet port on static.

I'd run a pair of powerline adaptors. Plug one into a plug socket by your Apex and another near your router. Connect to both with Ethernet cables. It's hardwired networking and rock solid. Then you just need to plug your computer into the router to update firmware and you will never have Wifi drop out issues if you are running a 2016 model.

Quote Originally Posted by tastyfish View Post
    I'd run a pair of powerline adaptors. Plug one into a plug socket by your Apex and another near your router. Connect to both with Ethernet cables. It's hardwired networking and rock solid. Then you just need to plug your computer into the router to update firmware and you will never have Wifi drop out issues if you are running a 2016 model.
    That is wasteful. My computer is farther from my router than my tank is and I have GB WiFi.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    That is wasteful. My computer is farther from my router than my tank is and I have GB WiFi.

That depends on your set-up I guess and if you are updating a Classic or 2016. I have GB wifi and the same issue (actually, I have a Mac Book Pro, and no ethernet port, so it's more of a problem for me to physically connect).