Thread: Internet Adapter

New User

Internet Adapter

Hi everyone,

I have my Apex since 2013 connected wirelessly through a Netgear Internet Adapter WNCE2001, unfortunately it stopped working (solid power red light) tried changing the power power adapter and It didn't work, so I will need to buy a new one.
    I looked at Amazon and appears it has been discontinued... whats the recommended adapter now (and cheapest)?

Thank you!

New User
    Anyone? I would like to leave this up and working before the holidays

Thanks

Frequent Contributor
    I prefer power-line adapter over WiFi adapters.
    Jon

I think ppl r using what ever works. you can still get that adapter from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Unive.../dp/B003KPBRRW

New User
    What are those? Could you please explain a little bit? I have never use one of those.. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jonmos75 View Post
    - - - Updated - - -

Its too expensive the old model WNCE2001..
    Would this ones work?
    https://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-Univer...hernet+Adapter

Quote Originally Posted by cypherljk View Post
    I think ppl r using what ever works. you can still get that adapter from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Unive.../dp/B003KPBRRW

Frequent Contributor
    here is a video about them and there are others on the web
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKWaEHtG6EI
    Jon

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by jonmos75 View Post
    Just how reliable are those? Could you recommend one to me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some have said that they aren't reliable, but I use and have used them for years.. I think it comes down to the reliability of your internet connection or system.. Mine works great, and have between three different home networks.. Along with a couple friends of mine run them also..

From note 5.. rip note 7

Regular Vistor
    Same problem popped up for me today after running that wnce for years. Tried diff power adapters as well. Anybody try the Apple Airport Express? Saw an older thread on people using them. Seems you can get them used for cheap. The older models

Regular Vistor
    I disabled TKIP, AES only on my WiFi router. So far has seemed to help. I haven't dropped connection in several days. This may actually be the holy grail fix for our APEX adapter WiFi we have all been needing.

Regular Vistor
    For me though I have a solid red power light and can't reset or telnet the firmware. It is toast I think.

Quote Originally Posted by bjbass View Post
    Same problem popped up for me today after running that wnce for years. Tried diff power adapters as well. Anybody try the Apple Airport Express? Saw an older thread on people using them. Seems you can get them used for cheap. The older models

Same problem happened to me with my Netgear Adapter a few weeks back. I'm not sure I would recommend the Airport Express though, they don't tend to play well with non Apple routers for some reason. I ended up using an Ethernet powerline adapter to get Ethernet to my basement and then bought a switch to connect my Apex to. It is no longer wireless so I don't have to worry about direct connecting to it whenever it needs a firmware update.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by mil3sdavis View Post
    Same problem happened to me with my Netgear Adapter a few weeks back. I'm not sure I would recommend the Airport Express though, they don't tend to play well with non Apple routers for some reason. I ended up using an Ethernet powerline adapter to get Ethernet to my basement and then bought a switch to connect my Apex to. It is no longer wireless so I don't have to worry about direct connecting to it whenever it needs a firmware update.
    That's a good idea, I'll have to look into power line intranet. Can you explain a little about your setup?

Quote Originally Posted by Bif24701 View Post
    That's a good idea, I'll have to look into power line intranet. Can you explain a little about your setup?

I am using these (https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Power.../dp/B00AWRUICG) powerline adapters.

My internet service is a 4G LTE connection, I have a 4G router/modem in an upstairs bedroom where it receives the best signal. One of the LAN ports in the back of it is connected to one of the powerline adapters which is plugged into an AC outlet. My router that I use for Wifi is located on the main floor of the house, I have a powerline adapter plugged in an AC outlet near the router and an ethernet cable running from it to the WAN port on the router. From there I have a Ethernet cable that runs from the LAN port on the router that then drops through a floor vent into the basement where I have a 5port 10/100/1000Mbps switch that my Apex is directly connected to (along with some other ethernet connections that go to various rooms on the first floor) .

Note: If you are stringing routers together like this, it is really easy to really mess things up if you don't know what you are doing when it comes to IP addresses and NAT. My network is purposely doubled NATed because the router form my ISP will only allow 10 devices to connect to it. The double NATing hides everything behind the second router from the first.

Hopefully that wasn't too confusing...

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by mil3sdavis View Post
    I am using these (https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Power.../dp/B00AWRUICG) powerline adapters.

My internet service is a 4G LTE connection, I have a 4G router/modem in an upstairs bedroom where it receives the best signal. One of the LAN ports in the back of it is connected to one of the powerline adapters which is plugged into an AC outlet. My router that I use for Wifi is located on the main floor of the house, I have a powerline adapter plugged in an AC outlet near the router and an ethernet cable running from it to the WAN port on the router. From there I have a Ethernet cable that runs from the LAN port on the router that then drops through a floor vent into the basement where I have a 5port 10/100/1000Mbps switch that my Apex is directly connected to (along with some other ethernet connections that go to various rooms on the first floor) .

Note: If you are stringing routers together like this, it is really easy to really mess things up if you don't know what you are doing when it comes to IP addresses and NAT. My network is purposely doubled NATed because the router form my ISP will only allow 10 devices to connect to it. The double NATing hides everything behind the second router from the first.

Hopefully that wasn't too confusing...
    Thanks for your replies! This very helpful. I won't go the airport express route then, so now I am thinking either the wireless extenders people are using or similar to what you are. I was thinking about possibly using one of those power outlet ethernet adapters, but I think the way it needs to be used is each end needs to connect directly into a power outlet? So essentially I would not be able to plug the receiving end into my energy bar 8?

Quote Originally Posted by bjbass View Post
    Thanks for your replies! This very helpful. I won't go the airport express route then, so now I am thinking either the wireless extenders people are using or similar to what you are. I was thinking about possibly using one of those power outlet ethernet adapters, but I think the way it needs to be used is each end needs to connect directly into a power outlet? So essentially I would not be able to plug the receiving end into my energy bar 8?
    Correct, it needs to be plugged directly into a wall outlet (or extension cord). They tend to not work correctly if plugged into surge protectors and some power strips (I've never tried plugging one into an EB8), due to surge suppression components that cause certain frequencies to be filtered out. You also may need to be careful what you plug it in near. I had one plugged into an extension cord that also had my Raspberry Pi connected to it using a cheap Chinese USB power adapter. The power adapter was super noisy and killed the ethernet connection.

New User
    Answering the original question for a wifi adapter. Back in December I got an IOGEAR GWU627. It was a bit of a hassle setting it up but it's been working flawlessly since. The instructions were ok, just a bit convoluted. It's now under $34 on Amazon.

Regular Vistor
    I agree with the users above mentioning IOGEAR wifi adapter for $30-$33 of Amazon. Set up is super easy and fast and works just as good as a direct connection (depending on your network reliability) After you connect the IOGEAR adapter to your home wifi its pretty much plug and play after that, also you can buy a USB 2-3 port wall adapter and use that to power the IOGEAR adapter and other small appliances (I use the other 2 usb ports to power led touch srtips for lighting while working in the sump.