Thread: Coding/programming auto water change

Regular Vistor

Post Coding/programming auto water change

I am looking for help/assistance in incorporating a auto water change for my apex. I plan on using a pump to drain my sump of 4-5 gallons of water a day Monday-Friday. On the weekends it wil give me time to make up fresh saltwater mix. I then plan on using a pump to drain fresh saltwater back into my sump. I will be doing this on a timed manner. Meaning it takes 3 minutes to drain water from sump but it takes a little over 4 minutes and 30 second to pump fresh saltwater back into my sump.
    I would like to shut off main pump and skimmer for approxiametley 10 minutes which is the time it takes for main tank to drain fully. Once 10 minutes go by pump will turn out to take 5 gallons out or run for approxiametley 3 minutes and shut off. Once drain pump shuts off refill pump will come on for approxiametley 4 minutes and 30 seconds. Once refill pump is done return pump would then kick on putting thebwater back into main tank. After doing that which would be approxiametley 4 minutes skimmer would kick back on.
    I would need to turn off auto top off somehow which i plan on doing with the breakout box. I have a float switch for ato which I also need a program/coding for.
    Thank you in advance to anyone who decides to help or chime in. If someone has a easier suggestion I'm all ears.

Frequent Visitor
    Easier suggestion: buy a dos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regular Vistor
    Dos can't drain and fill the water amount I'm trying to do. Not made for that

Frequent Visitor
    Oh, you said in the op that you were changing 4-5 gallons a day. The dos can certainly handle that amount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regular Vistor
    I already have everything I need to do it minus the programming. Don't wanna wait to order the dos and have it come in

Frequent Visitor
    I would recommend doing this with floats not just time. Use the time as a backup safety but not the main control as the flow can change if you get a buildup of algae in the wrong place etc.

make sure the sumpis topped off, then turn on the drain pump. Let the low float turn it off,many the timer expire, then refill and let the high flat turn it off

all of this would be done with if switch and if time commands

The following is my drain outlet with a setup like I described. Something similar with the refill is appropriate.

Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If Time 16:30 to 16:44 Then ON
    If Swx12_3 CLOSED Then OFF

Regular Vistor
    @frogfish to do it the way your speaking of would consist of using 2 float switches I imagine. I low and 1 high?
    With the set up that you described I would still need to turn skimmer and return off.
    What would the coding be to fill
    i think I'm almost there. Headed in the right direction. Thanks all. Keep it coming

Frequent Visitor
    Yes you need two floats

why turn the skimmer and return pump off? Base upon the condition of your overflow you can get more or less draining to the sump. Thus level would not be constant and would be damn near impossible to set a high list lever at girl consistency.

And if you top off just before the water change you will always be starting from the same level, which lets you drain and replace the same amount each time.

Fill code would be similar, but different float and non overlapping timeframe but immediately after the drain time runs out. (Sorry not gonna give it to you! . IMO you learn more by figuring it out yourself). But ask questions if you don't get it.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by Frogfish View Post
    I would recommend doing this with floats not just time. Use the time as a backup safety but not the main control as the flow can change if you get a buildup of algae in the wrong place etc.

make sure the sumpis topped off, then turn on the drain pump. Let the low float turn it off,many the timer expire, then refill and let the high flat turn it off

all of this would be done with if switch and if time commands

The following is my drain outlet with a setup like I described. Something similar with the refill is appropriate.

Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If Time 16:30 to 16:44 Then ON
    If Swx12_3 CLOSED Then OFF
    I know this thread is a couple of years old, but when I try this, it works fine, then the pump comes back on and off until the time frame is over. I only have the time on for the minimum time frame of one minute. Any way to make the pump only come on one time then stay the hell off? Been working on this for hours now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirbuno View Post
    I know this thread is a couple of years old, but when I try this, it works fine, then the pump comes back on and off until the time frame is over. I only have the time on for the minimum time frame of one minute. Any way to make the pump only come on one time then stay the hell off? Been working on this for hours now.
    Add

Defer 000:10 Then OFF
    Min Time 060:00 Then OFF

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

New User

AWC - Not sure what your suggestion means?

Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    Add

Thanks for the response!
    Right after sending my question in I came up with the idea of using defer to use up some time. So My setups look like this for AWC.

Sw1 is high switch to sump full
    Sw2 is low switch to start DI water replacement in sumpSw3 is my bottom switch to indicate the most I want to pump to the drain sump during an AWC session.
    Sw4 is my wet switch located outside of my sump for in case any hose comes off or overflow etc.

For my WastePump for three on times during the day.

Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If Time 07:28 to 07:29 Then ON
    If Time 13:20 to 13:21 Then ON
    If Time 20:20 to 20:21 Then ON
    Defer 001:08 Then ON
    If Sw3 CLOSED Then OFF

If Output SaltReturn = ON Then OFF
    If Sw4 CLOSED Then OFF

Salt Return to replace the water

Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If Time 07:30 to 07:31 Then ON
    If Time 13:22 to 13:23 Then ON
    If Time 20:22 to 20:23 Then ON
    If Sw1 OPEN Then OFF
    If Sw4 CLOSED Then OFF

DI Water

Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If Sw2 CLOSED Then ON
    Defer 004:00 Then ON
    Defer 002:00 Then OFF
    If Time 07:15 to 07:19 Then ON
    If Time 13:15 to 13:19 Then ON
    If Time 20:15 to 20:19 Then ON
    If Sw1 OPEN Then OFF
    If Sw4 CLOSED Then OFF

Trying to figure out what your suggestion does. Your saying that I should make the following change.?

Wastepump

Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If Time 07:28 to 07:29 Then ON
    If Time 13:20 to 13:21 Then ON
    If Time 20:20 to 20:21 Then ON
    If Sw3 OPEN Then OFF
    If Output SaltReturn = ON Then OFF
    If Sw4 CLOSED Then OFF

Thanks,
    BTW no rush, I'm only able to get to this in the evenings.

I would rename your switches. That will confuse the heck out of you later.